• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

slick99

I keep seeing a lot of folks who used the UAV compass truck say they went in overly confident. Is that not an ideal method to use?
It's a good method but still be sure to practice it plenty before you go. That way you can time yourself and do them as quickly as possible.

iceman97

I took the ASTB-E yesterday and passed with a 50 6/7/7. It wasn’t necessarily a challenging test you just have to overcome the sensation you’re failing it the whole time you’re taking it haha. In terms of studying I didn’t study much besides doing some review of the OAR subsections and learning how to do the UAV trick and doing some ANIT flash cards.
Math - Probability, DRT, Averages. Also had a find X and simplify for X. One PEMDAS question that was insanely long.
Mechanical - I’d say I got most of these right it was extremely intuitive, what design creates the highest pressure, fulcrum balance questions, one electricity circuit question, and some what type of load is x under.
Reading - Pretty easy. Just read the passage and select the answer that most fits the passage. Make sure your answer is actually in the passage - not something you’re just inferring.
The Flight portion - pretty straight forward like you’re playing a video game. Just have fun with it and don’t give up if you’re making mistakes. I felt I did horrible but my results were pretty solid.
My background - I’m an Aviation Management/Aviation Flight senior with about 210 flight hours going for a SNA slot.

JBlue

you just have to overcome the sensation you’re failing it the whole time you’re taking it

don’t give up if you’re making mistakes. I felt I did horrible but my results were pretty solid.
I second this. Took it for the first time on Wednesday and felt like I was in way over my head for the entire PBM portion. Seemed like I could only get the crosshairs close to the target for 0.5 seconds out of every 15. Important thing is to stick with it and don’t let the mistake you just made (it will happen) affect your performance on the rest.

After feeling like I was behind the curve the whole time but ending up with scores I’m happy with, my read is this: if you feel like the test is pushing you well beyond your abilities, you’ve probably been doing well and the test is trying to squeeze you to read where your limits are.

Congrats on the scores, Iceman!

ed_98

Took the ASTB last week. My score was 54 6/6/7. I have a 3.51 GPA. My recruiter instructed me not to take the test again but to stick with my current score. I’m going 1)SNA 2)NFO. I really want a SNA slot but I will be happy with a NFO slot as well. Honestly it would be an honor to be considered for either of them. Good luck to everyone!

when would you hear back if you got the slot or not?

ed_98

I second this. Took it for the first time on Wednesday and felt like I was in way over my head for the entire PBM portion. Seemed like I could only get the crosshairs close to the target for 0.5 seconds out of every 15. Important thing is to stick with it and don’t let the mistake you just made (it will happen) affect your performance on the rest.

After feeling like I was behind the curve the whole time but ending up with scores I’m happy with, my read is this: if you feel like the test is pushing you well beyond your abilities, you’ve probably been doing well and the test is trying to squeeze you to read where your limits are.

Congrats on the scores, Iceman!
how'd you do?

savage510

It won’t be until after May. The packet is due beginning of April and then the board has to do it’s thing lol so it will be awhile.
My recruiter texted me saying they are pushing the due date from April to July with a board review date of August 2nd, is anyone else hearing this?

NevarYalnal

My recruiter texted me saying they are pushing the due date from April to July with a board review date of August 2nd, is anyone else hearing this?
sounds like you're just being moved to the August board; there hasn't been any indication that the May board has been cancelled.

savage510

sounds like you're just being moved to the August board; there hasn't been any indication that the May board has been cancelled.
Any idea why they would do that? My recruiter is very difficult to communicate with. Aside from getting through MEPS im done with everything and was really hoping to submit for the next board.

NevarYalnal

Any idea why they would do that? My recruiter is very difficult to communicate with. Aside from getting through MEPS im done with everything and was really hoping to submit for the next board.
could be a whole variety of reasons...you should keep an eye on the May 24 board thread on this forum to see if there's any new info though.

Weezyweeze

It’s a rumor that is going around. In previous comments someone explained why it is that people are hearing different things from their recruiters. I’m not sure what they said word for word. I haven’t heard that from my recruiter though.

Mouselovr

Contributor
As a result of the complications with the January boards and quotas, no one (including the navy) is quite sure what's going on. The exact status of "what is" the May board is still up in the air. Rumor is that the first "normal" aviation board will be August which is likely why they are saying to submit in July.