• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Joedub85

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to air warriors, I have been studying for the ASTB for a couple weeks now and air warriors has already had a big impact on my studies so I want to say thank you!

I am set to take the ASTB this coming Tuesday. Any last minute tips, things to be mindful of? I took the ASVAB back in march of last year and my AFQT percentile score was 71. Seems like the ASTB has a lot more detail. Just throwin this post out there, everyone one seems super cool on this forum and I am excited to be in contact with some of you, the plan is to come back Tuesday afternoon with some good news!

Thanks Everyone!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to air warriors, I have been studying for the ASTB for a couple weeks now and air warriors has already had a big impact on my studies so I want to say thank you!

I am set to take the ASTB this coming Tuesday. Any last minute tips, things to be mindful of? I took the ASVAB back in march of last year and my AFQT percentile score was 71. Seems like the ASTB has a lot more detail. Just throwin this post out there, everyone one seems super cool on this forum and I am excited to be in contact with some of you, the plan is to come back Tuesday afternoon with some good news!

Thanks Everyone!
I took the AFOQT twice before the ASTB and I'd say the ASTB is easier because it's not a five hour scantron test where you have time minimums on every section and you're waiting on other people to finish each section. The ASTB has time limits but allows you to move on when you finish a section, so it's all your pace if you're finishing before the limit.

exNavyOffRec

I took the AFOQT twice before the ASTB and I'd say the ASTB is easier because it's not a five hour scantron test where you have time minimums on every section and you're waiting on other people to finish each section. The ASTB has time limits but allows you to move on when you finish a section, so it's all your pace if you're finishing before the limit.

The applicants we had that had taken both the AFOQT and the ASTB were surprised that they nearly always scored lower on the ASTB than the AFOQT, just because something seems easier doesn't mean it actually is.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The applicants we had that had taken both the AFOQT and the ASTB were surprised that they nearly always scored lower on the ASTB than the AFOQT, just because something seems easier doesn't mean it actually is.
It's easier in a sense that they don't force you to sit through the entire time limit making it a 5 hour test, that's what I was getting at. It's less of a strain mentally to be able to get it done in an hour and a half versus 5 hours of testing. The test is pretty much the same difficulty academically.

Robinsonja02

Hello everybody,
Taking the ASTB in 3 weeks and was wondering did most people just use the Barrons Book and those 415 flashcards to study for the ANIT portion of the test?

kswhite91

NFO Wannabe
Hey guys!

Awesome news and a question... I took my exam last month and passed. 50, 6/6/7. I am scheduled to retake the exam just to boost my scores a little bit before my application is submitted to OCS, as I have no previous flight or military experience. I have been studying like crazy, downloaded several study guides, and feel like I have a good handle on everything EXCEPT part of the ANIT. I noticed when I tested last month that there were several questions regarding naval aircrafts and their respective qualities and specifics. I honestly read nothing about them in any of the ASTB study guides.

Is there anything you would recommend to help me study up on these specific aircrafts?

Thanks!

NevarYalnal

Hey guys!

Awesome news and a question... I took my exam last month and passed. 50, 6/6/7. I am scheduled to retake the exam just to boost my scores a little bit before my application is submitted to OCS, as I have no previous flight or military experience. I have been studying like crazy, downloaded several study guides, and feel like I have a good handle on everything EXCEPT part of the ANIT. I noticed when I tested last month that there were several questions regarding naval aircrafts and their respective qualities and specifics. I honestly read nothing about them in any of the ASTB study guides.

Is there anything you would recommend to help me study up on these specific aircrafts?

Thanks!
if you have qualifying scores submit now and save your retake. you only get 3 OAR tries total, no need to burn 2 for a single app.

kswhite91

NFO Wannabe
if you have qualifying scores submit now and save your retake. you only get 3 OAR tries total, no need to burn 2 for a single app.

We decided to use my retake while we wait on some other paperwork needed for custody arrangements. I wouldn't be able to send my application in until those were completed, so my recruiter and I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the time and improve my application as much as possible.

NevarYalnal

We decided to use my retake while we wait on some other paperwork needed for custody arrangements. I wouldn't be able to send my application in until those were completed, so my recruiter and I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the time and improve my application as much as possible.
ok but keep in mind that it is your most recent score that counts so if something disastrous happens and you score lower then you're stuck with that as your 2nd attempt. best of luck!

msantos28

Hey everyone, I'm taking my ASTB this Thursday. I was going through some last-minute study material and I was wondering how the NATFI affects your score?

exNavyOffRec

It's easier in a sense that they don't force you to sit through the entire time limit making it a 5 hour test, that's what I was getting at. It's less of a strain mentally to be able to get it done in an hour and a half versus 5 hours of testing. The test is pretty much the same difficulty academically.
you can split the ASTB, you can take the OAR portion and then within 30 days take the rest to get the full ASTB, few do but it is an option.

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys!

Thanks!
to be clear you have a 6 AQR, 6 PFAR, and 7 FOFAR

if that is the case then I would hold on that FOFAR score.

How long are you expecting the paperwork to take?

Jayhon

Hey guys!

Thanks!

Hey, so I noticed you wanted to be an NFO. I just wanted to post my scores to give you some insight on what can get accepted.
I applied for 1) Aviator and 2) NFO. My board selection was on January 25th 2021 I believe and I was notified on February 4th that I was selected for NFO, I’m now waiting on my OCS ship date at the moment.

My scores were:

50 OAR 6/7/7
GPA: 3.495
No previous flight experience, no previous military experience. I hope that helps and good luck to everyone!