• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

GodSpeed1997

Hey guys,

I took the ASTB twice already. My first scores were 42 3/4/4. Felt pretty terrible and I did not know how to study for it and how to prepare for it. However, I took it again August, did some studying and got a higher score of 49 4/6/5. These scores were not good enough because you need minimum scores of 5/6/6 so I missed it by one point. Taking the exam for the last time on November 19 and I'm kind of nervous because this is my last attempt. I have just been studying Kyle's Study Guide for the Math and Mechanical section. For the ANIT I have read the handbook as well as Kyle's Study Guide. For the UAV I just use the compass trick. If you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my score, anything would help! Thank you!

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hey guys,

I took the ASTB twice already. My first scores were 42 3/4/4. Felt pretty terrible and I did not know how to study for it and how to prepare for it. However, I took it again August, did some studying and got a higher score of 49 4/6/5. These scores were not good enough because you need minimum scores of 5/6/6 so I missed it by one point. Taking the exam for the last time on November 19 and I'm kind of nervous because this is my last attempt. I have just been studying Kyle's Study Guide for the Math and Mechanical section. For the ANIT I have read the handbook as well as Kyle's Study Guide. For the UAV I just use the compass trick. If you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my score, anything would help! Thank you!
Do you have any idea what youre weaknesses are? do you go into the Math portion not understanding many of the problems or does the mechanical portion give you a hard time?

GodSpeed1997

Do you have any idea what youre weaknesses are? do you go into the Math portion not understanding many of the problems or does the mechanical portion give you a hard time?

I feel like my main weakness is the reading portion, I find it difficult to understand the passages and I have a hard time concentrating on the long passages. When I tackle the math section, I find some questions easy and some questions difficult so its usually 50/50. The mechanical section was pretty easy for the most part because its mostly theoretical without calculations. The ANIT I would do well except for when they ask about historical things because I only study the parts of the aircraft and ships plus the handbook so I don't know where I can study historical facts from.

PEFO Silver-Shades

I feel like my main weakness is the reading portion, I find it difficult to understand the passages and I have a hard time concentrating on the long passages. When I tackle the math section, I find some questions easy and some questions difficult so its usually 50/50. The mechanical section was pretty easy for the most part because its mostly theoretical without calculations. The ANIT I would do well except for when they ask about historical things because I only study the parts of the aircraft and ships plus the handbook so I don't know where I can study historical facts from.

I haven't studied the reading Comprehension as much but i did see a few tricks by writing the choices out and then crossing it out when its not it

For the ANIT section i am studying from these two flash card sets.
https://quizlet.com/312393658/random-naval-and-aviation-questions-flash-cards/

The UAV i have been using this flashcard set as well as using the compass trick

Other Additional Sources that i have been studying from include the attached files "Summary" and "ASTB study Guide"
Kyles Google Doc
OAR Study Materials Google Doc

Attachments

• ASTB additional study material.pdf
    630 KB · Views: 65
  • ASTB Personal Study Guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • summary.pdf
    470.4 KB · Views: 80
  • astb_study_guide.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

GodSpeed1997

I haven't studied the reading Comprehension as much but i did see a few tricks by writing the choices out and then crossing it out when its not it

For the ANIT section i am studying from these two flash card sets.
https://quizlet.com/312393658/random-naval-and-aviation-questions-flash-cards/

The UAV i have been using this flashcard set as well as using the compass trick

Other Additional Sources that i have been studying from include the attached files "Summary" and "ASTB study Guide"
Kyles Google Doc
OAR Study Materials Google Doc

thank you, this helps a lot! Are you applying for the December boards as well? And how have you done in ASTB if you took them already?

s00mz00m

Adding on to what Ty said, it definitely helps if you write down A, B, C, D on a sheet of paper, and crossing out what you know for sure is not the answer. Read the passage 2-3x out loud. People previously mentioned reading articles to help boost your ability to read faster and comprehend more efficiently, if that works for you! I would recommend anything Navy related, so you are more familiar with what you're reading come test day. Also, brush up on math and mechanical sections that can also help boost your AQR score.

I believe ANIT plays an important factor in the FOFAR score (anyone pls correct me if I'm wrong). Math weighs heavily on it, too. The ANIT links Ty posted are great! I used the cram site, which helped me understand the basic ideas.

Third time's a charm! Go in with confidence because you've prepared for this! Be sure to get a good night's rest before test day. I wish you good luck!! I'm also planning on taking my second retake in November. You got this!!

NevarYalnal

How do you spend your time studying?
Do you do math Monday Wednesday Friday etc. ???
Then Tuesday/Thursday mechanics/Anit?

just a word to the wise, what worked for one person might not work for someone else. you would need to evaluate what your strengths/weaknesses are to see what areas might need additional focus. also, how much time you have until your test would also need to be considered when developing a study plan, whether you are studying for a week, month, or even longer.

How do you spend your time studying?
Do you do math Monday Wednesday Friday etc. ???
Then Tuesday/Thursday mechanics/Anit?
I started my student by going through the Barron Study guide, the entire thing. I then took an initial practice test to gauge where I was at and starting studying based off how I did there. I also made over 100 ANIT flashcards (handwriting to help me retain the information better) and do those every time I study. Then after several months I retook the same Barrons test again, dont worry I did not remember any of the questions. I improved so I went on the the second practice test after going through other test prep-books. Its pretty much a wash, rinse, and repeat of practice tests to gauge where you are weak and where you are strong. I am taking the ASTB tomorrow so we will see how it goes.

gspock

just a word to the wise, what worked for one person might not work for someone else. you would need to evaluate what your strengths/weaknesses are to see what areas might need additional focus. also, how much time you have until your test would also need to be considered when developing a study plan, whether you are studying for a week, month, or even longer.
The math is what gave me the most trouble. I guessed on a lot due to the time. Once I saw the clock running I was very nervous. For my next attempt I will write down answer choices for the reading section. The physics I didn’t think was too bad. The ANIT I feel like how much you study there will still be questions you don’t know. I did receive a 39 4/6/5 on my first attempt back in July. Since then I mainly did practice tests for math and bought that GRE book to help out with word problems. Also, I printed off a lot of worksheets from KUTA math and studied those. My next attempt is Thursday but I’m feeling like I would need a little bit more time. But at the same time I just want to get it over with.

The math is what gave me the most trouble. I guessed on a lot due to the time. Once I saw the clock running I was very nervous. For my next attempt I will write down answer choices for the reading section. The physics I didn’t think was too bad. The ANIT I feel like how much you study there will still be questions you don’t know. I did receive a 39 4/6/5 on my first attempt back in July. Since then I mainly did practice tests for math and bought that GRE book to help out with word problems. Also, I printed off a lot of worksheets from KUTA math and studied those. My next attempt is Thursday but I’m feeling like I would need a little bit more time. But at the same time I just want to get it over with.
If there a timer on your screen during the test?