• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

s00mz00m

My next attempt is Thursday but I’m feeling like I would need a little bit more time. But at the same time I just want to get it over with.

If you're not ready, reschedule. You only get three tries, so you want to be 100% confident. When I scheduled for my first attempt, a few days before I wanted to reschedule because I knew I wasn't ready, but I just wanted to get it over with. Trust your gut. If you need another week to prepare, I suggest you do it. You don't want to finish the exam with any regrets.

gspock

If you're not ready, reschedule. You only get three tries, so you want to be 100% confident. When I scheduled for my first attempt, a few days before I wanted to reschedule because I knew I wasn't ready, but I just wanted to get it over with. Trust your gut. If you need another week to prepare, I suggest you do it. You don't want to finish the exam with any regrets.
My recruiter said I can’t reschedule till December 1st. And I believe the deadline for the January board is November 30th? I wonder if I can just just take it another location instead of waiting a whole month.

BDavis11

Contributor
My recruiter said I can’t reschedule till December 1st. And I believe the deadline for the January board is November 30th? I wonder if I can just just take it another location instead of waiting a whole month.
dec 11

s00mz00m

It's ultimately your choice if you want to reschedule. Ask your OR what your options are.

rayg36

I am just curious about what are people's experiences or advice when it comes to low GPA's? Applying for SWO and I have one of the lower GPA I've seen on this website. I am striving for a high OAR score. But with that said what can be done outside of the score? I am a prior-enlisted (2012-2016) OS and graduated from the University of Oregon. Just curious as to ways I can get picked up considering my recruiter seems a bit confused.

NevarYalnal

I am just curious about what are people's experiences or advice when it comes to low GPA's? Applying for SWO and I have one of the lower GPA I've seen on this website. I am striving for a high OAR score. But with that said what can be done outside of the score? I am a prior-enlisted (2012-2016) OS and graduated from the University of Oregon. Just curious as to ways I can get picked up considering my recruiter seems a bit confused.

how low is low? if you are below the minimum that could be a problem, especially since SWO doesn't have as high a GPA requirement vs some of the other designators. I don't think there's any rule against taking additional classes at a community college or something to boost you above the cutoff; probably be even more beneficial if the classes you take are relevant to the designation you are applying for or replace classes you did poorly in the first time around (assuming they are worth retaking; doesn't really matter if you bombed Music 101 if you're applying for SWO, whereas getting an A in Calc 2 or Physics the 2nd time around would probably be looked more favorably on).

Hello everyone I just took my ASTB and I'm proudly sitting at 57-7-7-7. I will not be re-taking and I will be submitting my package next year with the scores. I will try and break down what I remember from the test in this post.

Like many of the other people on this thread Kyle’s, Holly’s, and the Oar study guide are extremely valuable to this test. I grinded those out since last November spending it out over all of Summer and the beginning of the school year. I took several breaks obviously when I went on vacation, and during the beginning of school when I was still getting situated. I also use the baron study guide, test prep book astb study guide to 2020-2021, and Aegis Group complete ASTB Study guide. A super valuable tool that I created for myself was a journal to track my progress on my practice tests and worksheets. This allowed me to track and witness my progress.

Math:
No DRT or logs, or percentage. I had several surface area problems and one was like “John has to lay the bricks on a 3’x12’x7’ wall and the brings are 12”3”4” how many bricks does he need”. That's the only question I really remember from that but there was also some reducing polynomials and other stuff like that.

Reading:
GRIND time management in your prep. I ran out of time and had to guess on 3 with 10 seconds left. SO practice practice practice and work on time management

Mechi:
Killed this section and finished with like 8 min left. Only 2 required equations, mostly conceptual. Look into angular momentum and stuff like that, and know the speed on an object on an arch, I had 3 or so like this.

ANIT:
Some stuff I studied but also some shit I have never seen before. Just grind the large quizlet floating around the forum, but make sure that you rewrite them in your own notecards or else you won't memorize them as well

UAV:
Ignore the degrees and just do the compass trick, I was rushing and got 4 wrong but out of 40 or so that is a great percentage

Stick and throttle and Listening:
For the listening section I just took off the non-target ear. Also when calibrating the stick and throttle, make sure you get a good feel of the dead zone. For me it was a huge dead zone so it was super slow when I first made movements and then zoomed when I started to chase the plane.

Good Luck Ladies and Gents. Ill be praying for everyone and if you have any questions just PM me. God Bless American and go Navy

GodSpeed1997

Is anyone else aiming for the upcoming Dec. 11 boards?

How long after the boards do you find out if you made the program or not? and what is a good estimate of when you actually start OCS?

BDavis11

Contributor
Is anyone else aiming for the upcoming Dec. 11 boards?

How long after the boards do you find out if you made the program or not? and what is a good estimate of when you actually start OCS?
Its a bunch of us. Dec 11 is the submission deadline. the board convenes JAN 25. about a month to 8 weeks after that everyone should start getting results. If you get a FINSEL on average you should see an OCS date of 6 months after the board date. Feel free to find the thread for 25Jan2020 SNA/nfo board

redheadengineer

I am taking the ASTB this Wednesday, 10/28, any last minute advice or pointers for a first time tester? I have been studying the barrons book, kyle's google drive, along with several other resources I have found throughout this forum. I know there is the typical 3 sections for OAR, ANIT, PBM, and NATFI... But is the BI-RV still apart of the test?

GodSpeed1997

Its a bunch of us. Dec 11 is the submission deadline. the board convenes JAN 25. about a month to 8 weeks after that everyone should start getting results. If you get a FINSEL on average you should see an OCS date of 6 months after the board date. Feel free to find the thread for 25Jan2020 SNA/nfo board

Sorry I’m not familiar with the whole process as of yet but what do you mean by getting a FINSEL?

BDavis11

Contributor
Sorry I’m not familiar with the whole process as of yet but what do you mean by getting a FINSEL?
ProRec-Y means you were professionally recommended (chosen). then your medical goes through another screening process essentially . Once that is cleared then the FINSEL- final selection is made. once that happens you get an OCS date.

Duffman

None
Contributor
Hello all, I was recommended this forum by a friend of mine who is currently in flight school. I've recently spoken with the Marine OSO and was told that I would have to wait until 6 months after I get PRK before I am able to officially start the process. What this means for me is that I have at least 8 months until I can take the ASTB. Which brings me to my question, if you had 8 months to prepare for the test how would you do so?

I have purchased the Barron's book and found the ANIT section to be very helpful, but found the others to be too simplistic. I've been browsing this forum and have downloaded Kyle's guide which I plan to study forwards and backwards. I hope this question isn't too broad as I don't want to junk up this forum. I see this large amount of time I have to study as a blessing and just wonder if anyone has a suggestion as how to best use it.

Thank you
Those are a good start for study materials. I would recommend looking at the FAA handbook. Know exactly how to solve different types of DRT problems, probability problems, negative exponents, and basic geometry. Most of Kyle’s study kit has those in there. If you want you can get a hold of a Trivium ASTB book, which helps with the fundamentals. Don’t spend to much time on the reading part, but most definitely practice it when you feel as if there’s nothing else to study.

Emily33

Hi everyone! First time posting on this forum, but I've read many of the posts over the past couple months.

I am taking the OAR for the first time in 3 weeks and I'm pretty nervous about it, mainly the math/mechanical portions. I've done some digging and found different study guides that members were nice enough to share, so I won't be repetitive by asking about content. I'm more curious about HOW the exam is set up...I know the exam is on a computer and is adaptive to how well you're doing per question, but can you view all the questions from a particular section at once, or do you have to go through each one to get to the next? Will I have the option of going back to a question to answer it after I've covered everything else? Lastly, how the does the exam transition from section to section? Will I immediately go on to the next or will I have a break between parts?

I realize these are very specific questions, but really any information on the format of the exam would be appreciated.

NevarYalnal

I'm more curious about HOW the exam is set up...I know the exam is on a computer and is adaptive to how well you're doing per question, but can you view all the questions from a particular section at once, or do you have to go through each one to get to the next? Will I have the option of going back to a question to answer it after I've covered everything else? Lastly, how the does the exam transition from section to section? Will I immediately go on to the next or will I have a break between parts?

you cannot go back to review any questions and you only see one question at a time. at least for the OAR portion, you had a few minutes between sections (Math->Reading->Mechanical) where they show you an example of a question for the next section of the test. you don't need to use the full wait time between sections if you're comfortable with proceeding though.