• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Hello, thank you for your response sir. That's probably why I scored low. So would you recommend focusing more on the correctness of the question not how many questions you answered in time?

The problem is if you go to slow even though they are right you won't get enough correct answers for the computer to show you have hit a ceiling where they can spit out a score, slow and right/fast and wrong aren't going to get you where you need to be, you need to be steady and correct.

Chingmie

The problem is if you go to slow even though they are right you won't get enough correct answers for the computer to show you have hit a ceiling where they can spit out a score, slow and right/fast and wrong aren't going to get you where you need to be, you need to be steady and correct.

Okay, got it. Thank you. How many seconds/minutes you spend per question to be steady and correct? Because sometimes you will encounter questions that need more time but is it worth spending time with that question or move on at a particular time?

exNavyOffRec

Okay, got it. Thank you. How many seconds/minutes you spend per question to be steady and correct? Because sometimes you will encounter questions that need more time but is it worth spending time with that question or move on at a particular time?

you will need to practice and determine what works for you.

Hotsauce0809

Hello all, I was recommended this forum by a friend of mine who is currently in flight school. I've recently spoken with the Marine OSO and was told that I would have to wait until 6 months after I get PRK before I am able to officially start the process. What this means for me is that I have at least 8 months until I can take the ASTB. Which brings me to my question, if you had 8 months to prepare for the test how would you do so?

I have purchased the Barron's book and found the ANIT section to be very helpful, but found the others to be too simplistic. I've been browsing this forum and have downloaded Kyle's guide which I plan to study forwards and backwards. I hope this question isn't too broad as I don't want to junk up this forum. I see this large amount of time I have to study as a blessing and just wonder if anyone has a suggestion as how to best use it.

Thank you

Hello,

Do you recall exactly where you found Kyle's study guide? I've been searching this forum and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks in Advance

BDavis11

Contributor
Hello,

Do you recall exactly where you found Kyle's study guide? I've been searching this forum and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks in Advance
literally just click on the search at the top of the page and type in "kyle's gouge" and it will pull up every time some one mentioned it which typically turns up with the link. However I have it saved to my favorites so I saved you some time.

gspock

Does anyone know how to solve these types of problems?

Find the average test score: what is needed on the 6th and 7th tests if Johnny wants an 82 average in his class, and he scored x y z on the first three tests, scored 2/3 of the average of those three tests plus 20 on the 4th test, and made 9/10 of the 4th test on the 5th test?

Juicetin85@

Hello AW community,

The first time I took the ASTB I didn't study effectively never knew about this thread or anything that amount of effort really showed in my score since I got a 39 2/1/1 really bad I know. The second time I took the test I got a 51 4/6/6 I personally could've done better on the math portion of the test but I've been bombarded with midterm after midterm for a whole month.

I just want to say how thankful for all of you sharing your experiences on the ASTB and giving priceless information on how to pass the exam without y'all help I wouldn't have passed.

Just some background on me I'm attending college as a freshmen working towards a Bachelors in Finance. I work two jobs and have a bunch of family priorties which has taken up alot of time.

For the math part of the test it wasn't that hard I strongly recommend looking over Averages,Probability, Functions, Fractions, Exponents, Roots, and D = R*T problems. The math part I probally did around 10-15 questions before it cut me to the next section. I really recommend you to go over Kyles OAR math practice since it goes over every math problem you can encounter word problem wise. Also if your like me and don't remember much over math I recommend getting the GRE Math book which goes over basic math to word problems I really wish I knew about this book earlier cause I wouldn't have to scower through Youtube looking for videos. Talking about Youtube I recommend checking out Kieno Thomas cause he breaks down a-lot of the sections on the ASTB. He also has his own tutoring service called StemwithKieno. Also if you look around this thread you'll find a bunch of math problem questions that are on the test.

The reading part of the test I would say is extremely boring. I had to read each paragraph and questions out loud. Another thing about the reading portion is dont have bias and use outside knowledge all the stuff you know is from the text this will make it alot easier choosing an answer.

For the mechanical section I didnt get any calculations besides calculating velocity and how far a raft that weighs 400 lb moved after a guy (200lb) jumped 8 ft away. Also I got questions like Where would the air velocity be the strongest or what powers a Turbo Charger. I also got questions like where would you move to fulcrom to make exerting force the easiest and where would you push the tourque wrench to excert the most amount of force. I got also a problem where would you push a door to get the most amount of tourque. I recommend checking out Kienno Thomas youtube videos and Kyles Study Guide.

The ANiT wasn't that bad I recommend learning about the parts of a plane and what they do as-well parts of a boat/aircraft carrier. Also know alot of historical facts such as whose the guy that broke the sound barrier - Chuck Yeager to knowing what colors aircraft personnel wear. Again watch Kienno Thomas videos as he goes into depth about parts of a plane and the physics behind it. Also you should know things such as ground effect and know about airspaces.

Ok the PBM the first time I took it I had no idea what I was doing but the second time I came prepared

The first part is the UAV portion I recommend using flashcards which people have posted on this site and use the compass trick method which people have linked on this thread aswell. I averaged around 1-3 seconds and got no questions wrong.

The next part was the Dihoctic Listening Test by far this was really easy all you have to do is listen to the person say supposing Right, then tilt your head and kinda press into your shoulder to in your mind know what ear you have to listen out of and it makes it so much easier. Also it was Even numbers pull trigger(right hand) or pull clutch (left hand). If your wanna study for this I recommend downloading the Dihoctic app on your phone its absurdly hard but it gives you the idea.

The next part was the actual joystick and throttle part. For this to get ready I recommend playing COD or some fast pace first shooter game, then change your setting by decreasing your deadzone, increase sensitivity, and get used to playing inverted y axis trust me at first youll play not so well but youll get the hang of it. By the time the test rolled around I did really well and it wasn't as hard as last time.

The last part is the emergency landings part again easy points I messed up on one of them cause the dial was tweaking but basically just write them down and you'll be fine. Make sure you know what to go down with the dial and go up also dont forgot to HIT CLUCTH and after your done focus on following the targets.

In summary if I can boost my score from a 1 to a 6 you can to don't let a bad score define you trust me just study hard use KYLES Study Guide the GRE and Barron Book and find as many Study Guides on this sit trust me go from 250 - onwards you'll find a plethera of things to help you. Also on the day of the test bring some water and a snack to make sure your not thinking about being hungry also dont forget gum. Before you take the test make sure the day prior you relax and mediatate or even pray trust me thats what I did, have a good amount of sleep to. Make sure you eat a good breakfast if you have to listen to something that hypes you up for me I listened to my football game day music to get me pumped for the test. Remember deep breaths, stay calm, and as long as you are confident in your self you'll do fine.

Attachments

• 001 - ASTB personal study guide.pdf
    298.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2005 Practice Test.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 3. ASTB-AVI.DOC
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ASTB Personal Study Guide (3).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Captain Zhao's 1001 ANIT.doc
    71 KB · Views: 29

RobertE

Full Send
Does anyone know how to solve these types of problems?

Find the average test score: what is needed on the 6th and 7th tests if Johnny wants an 82 average in his class, and he scored x y z on the first three tests, scored 2/3 of the average of those three tests plus 20 on the 4th test, and made 9/10 of the 4th test on the 5th test?
I don't know but you could Look at khan academy or ask on quora or wolframalpha. If it's any consolation I never once saw a problem like that in any practice material I went through

gspock

I don't know but you could Look at khan academy or ask on quora or wolframalpha. If it's any consolation I never once saw a problem like that in any practice material I went through
It's just a weighted average problem but the test likes to give them a curveball.

BDavis11

Contributor
Ooh I see
basically whatever average u need, multiply that by the total amount of tests (or whatever it is). Then subtract the scores from that large number and the remainder is what u must score on the final test to get the average.

RobertE

Full Send
basically whatever average u need, multiply that by the total amount of tests (or whatever it is). Then subtract the scores from that large number and the remainder is what u must score on the final test to get the average.
makes sense. The hardest word problem i had was a DRT and got up to cubed roots and matrix math. i was so bummed when i couldn't remember how to do those

BDavis11

Contributor
makes sense. The hardest word problem i had was a DRT and got up to cubed roots and matrix math. i was so bummed when i couldn't remember how to do those
i didnt see any cubed roots or matrix for real. i thought i bombed math but I did decent enough apparently.

Does anyone have any recommendation for reading practice? So far on the OAR portion that is the only section I am having trouble improving my scores on practice tests. Thank you! I am taking the ASTB on Wednesday so I will let you know how I do.