• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

GS-W

AH-1 W
Here's a recap of my astb experience.

Took the test this morning with good results: 9/9/9 68.

Here is a list of things that you should study that wasn't really covered by the Barron's book...

space flight
know astronauts names (first in space, first US in space, first to orbit earth, first on moon)
know the number of mercury, gemini and apollo missions and notable events that happened on each mission
i would highly recommend watching the movie "the right stuff"
also watch top gun and laugh at tom cruise

know more about every type of cloud than you think you should know
seriously... do it

know classifications of airplanes
know what each navy airplane does (cargo, interceptor, fighter etc.)

have your aerodynamics down solid
bernoulli's principle
what flight surfaces do what
know what instruments do what

know what mechanical advantage is
know how pulley's work and block and tackles

for the spacial apperception section - PRACTICE!
if you suck at this section, you should find every available SAT problem and do them over and over until you have every scenario memorized
beware that on the test there are two different bank angles

if you do well on the math sections in barron's, the astb math will be VERY easy. i found that the real MST, RST and Mech sections were easier than barron's but the SAT, ANIT and AST were a little more difficult.

that's all I have. feel free to shoot me a message if you have any q's.

-g

I would say about 85% of this WAS covered in the Barrons book... At least the copy I have...

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
hey all...just took the test today after about 2 weeks of studying, got a 7/7/7-58...the mechanical section screwed me as I'm a Political Science major but I think I did ok otherwise...should I plan on retaking this? Good luck to all of you studying!

GS-W

AH-1 W
hey all...just took the test today after about 2 weeks of studying, got a 7/7/7-58...the mechanical section screwed me as I'm a Political Science major but I think I did ok otherwise...should I plan on retaking this? Good luck to all of you studying!

No way! Thats a great score from what I've seen!

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
Took form 4 on Feb 5. and got a 7/7/8 62. I'm in my 2nd year of college majoring in mechanical engineering. GPA is a 3.7

Your astb score is really good and your gpa is awesome. As long as you do some other stuff in college and you don't deal drugs you have a great shot at getting selected.

just curious, where do you go to school?

ccxc

Scored 5/6/5, I know that it's not great but I have a shot at being a SNA. 285 PFT and in another month I should be at 300. Right now at 17 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and 16:20 for 3 miles. I should have a good package. I am hoping for OCC-205 in October and see what happens, also waiting on my flight physical, fingers crossed.

Tomodachi

pilot
From what I see AW 5/6/5 is an average ASTB score. However, a 16:20 for the 3 mile is just outrageous! Did you run cross-country in high school/college? You are a cheetah.

ccxc

I ran in both high school and college. Ran at a DI school in Texas, I have been coaching for 3 years now. My 3 mile is going to get better as well as getting 3 more pull-ups. Any other air contracts on here? Wondering were you all are in the process, apparently flight physicals are delayed in p-cola because of the Haiti crises. Ready to be finished with the process and get everything to the boards.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Scored 5/6/5, I know that it's not great but I have a shot at being a SNA. 285 PFT and in another month I should be at 300. Right now at 17 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and 16:20 for 3 miles. I should have a good package. I am hoping for OCC-205 in October and see what happens, also waiting on my flight physical, fingers crossed.

haha very rarely do you see a 285 with the pull ups being an issue.