• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
If you have been studying for that long and surfed this site for every valuable resource it sounds as if you are more than prepared. You have probably all the information you need and then some so my advice is just make sure your timing is down for the sections (otherwise there is a clock on the computer), stay calm, and be confident! Let us know how you did and Good LUCK!

GS-W

AH-1 W
This question goes out to anybody out there who feels like throwing in their two cents.

I've been preparing for the astb for about two months now. I bought the barron's book in november and I've read through the entire thing several times. I've taken both the barron's practice astbs a couple times and I pretty much have the answers memorized. I found the ARCO book and read through that and took the practice test. I found a marine corps practice test and took that. In addition I've scoured this site for any useful gouge and studied it religiously.

I'm taking the test on tuesday. Is there any one thing that I should focus my last few hours of studying on? Is there one thing that any of you felt completely unprepared for? Any last minute tips?

Thanks for your time

How did you do on the arco, and barrons tests? In the time given, how many out of how many were you getting correct? Honestly...

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
barron test 1 test 2
MST - 27/30 25/30
RST - 24/27 25/27
MCT - 29/30 26/30
SAT - 24/25 24/25
ANIT - 28/30 23/30
AST - 31/34 30/34

I have no clue how these scores translate. I took both tests with the appropriate time limits.

SDHopeful

You are right with the max but the min is wrong. It also depends on what you are applying for that determines the minimums. There was a guy recently selected with 4's and 5's so 4/6/6 is not correct.

SDHopeful,

Are you goingt to retake the ASTB before you submit? It would be better if you submit with those scores and see what happens versus retaking the ASTB now. If you do this then you will be able to submit a new package for the following month instead of waiting 6 months which puts you over the age limit.

Twobecrazy,

That is great advice, I will run it by my OR when I can get him on the phone. I have yet to speak with him, as every time I call I get his voice mail and just leave a message. I know OR's are VERY busy, and there are many applicants, however I wonder if this is indicative that my scores are not competitive (i.e. not worth his time). I am going to track down his email next, as my other option is to start calling him on the hour every hour. I know I can score higher next time, so I feel like I might get more momentum with my application if I simply retest after the 30 days.

I appreciate your input.

GS-W

AH-1 W
barron test 1 test 2
MST - 27/30 25/30
RST - 24/27 25/27
MCT - 29/30 26/30
SAT - 24/25 24/25
ANIT - 28/30 23/30
AST - 31/34 30/34

I have no clue how these scores translate. I took both tests with the appropriate time limits.

You should get at least 7's. You are fine. I was doing a little worse, and passed with 6/6/6/60. the min score for the marines is 4/6/6/40

There is no translation, that anyone knows, I guess that is kept secret, but considering your scores compared to mine I think you will gets 7's and maybe 8's hopefully. Good luck! Just dont choke last second or something and you should be fine.Time is pretty strict so keep moving.

Santi87

Which Scores Count?

Question: I posted a 6-7-6 on the ASTB my first time around...if I take one or two more times, do they only use the most recent test or do they do like the SAT where only the highest score in each category counts?

For example, if the first time I got 6-7-6 and the second time I get 5-9-7, then would the score they look at be 6-9-7 or 5-9-7?

I ask because with a 6-7-6 and the rest of my package I probably have a decent chance of being selected, but I can still take it again and increase my competitiveness in the board's eyes. By that same token, if I do worse, I don't want that to impact the score I already have on record, because it's not bad by any means, but it's not stellar either.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
~Chris

blarged

ready
Question: I posted a 6-7-6 on the ASTB my first time around...if I take one or two more times, do they only use the most recent test or do they do like the SAT where only the highest score in each category counts?

For example, if the first time I got 6-7-6 and the second time I get 5-9-7, then would the score they look at be 6-9-7 or 5-9-7?

I ask because with a 6-7-6 and the rest of my package I probably have a decent chance of being selected, but I can still take it again and increase my competitiveness in the board's eyes. By that same token, if I do worse, I don't want that to impact the score I already have on record, because it's not bad by any means, but it's not stellar either.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
~Chris

Only your most recent score on the ASTB counts. Once you take it a third time, that is your score forever.

jlil41

So I have been doing a lot of studying for the ASTB lots of books and manuals, all in all I am doing pretty well, but I do have a question. I was reading up and I found info that the AST (aviation supplemental test) part was mostly the same as above sections of the ASTB......A/N terms and Spatial, is that true? If not can someone give me some insight on what to expect in that part of the test. Thanks!!!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So I have been doing a lot of studying for the ASTB lots of books and manuals, all in all I am doing pretty well, but I do have a question. I was reading up and I found info that the AST (aviation supplemental test) part was mostly the same as above sections of the ASTB......A/N terms and Spatial, is that true? If not can someone give me some insight on what to expect in that part of the test. Thanks!!!

You are correct. This sections has a little of everything in it including similar questions from previous sections. You will see that some of the questions will be the exact same question as previously asked. Good LUCK!

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
Here's a recap of my astb experience.

Took the test this morning with good results: 9/9/9 68.

Here was how I prepared myself.

I bought the Barron's guide to Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I read this book from cover to cover several times and took both astb practice tests. I flash carded the planes names with pictures, all of the nautical terms and the significant aviation events. I scoured this website for every useful piece of gouge I could find. Below I've listed some useful links that I utilized...

http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/MilitaryFlight.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

http://www.navy-officer.com/ASTB prep test.pdf

http://www.navy-officer.com/astboverview.pdf

I also used a study guide that was posted in one of the astb threads by user "atrickpay". That study guide was VERY helpful and had some good knowledge that actually popped up on the test.

Here is a list of things that you should study that wasn't really covered by the Barron's book...

space flight
know astronauts names (first in space, first US in space, first to orbit earth, first on moon)
know the number of mercury, gemini and apollo missions and notable events that happened on each mission
i would highly recommend watching the movie "the right stuff"
also watch top gun and laugh at tom cruise

know more about every type of cloud than you think you should know
seriously... do it

know classifications of airplanes
know what each navy airplane does (cargo, interceptor, fighter etc.)

have your aerodynamics down solid
bernoulli's principle
what flight surfaces do what
know what instruments do what

know what mechanical advantage is
know how pulley's work and block and tackles

for the spacial apperception section - PRACTICE!
if you suck at this section, you should find every available SAT problem and do them over and over until you have every scenario memorized
beware that on the test there are two different bank angles

if you do well on the math sections in barron's, the astb math will be VERY easy. i found that the real MST, RST and Mech sections were easier than barron's but the SAT, ANIT and AST were a little more difficult.

that's all I have. feel free to shoot me a message if you have any q's.

-g

jtmedli

pilot
Here's a recap of my astb experience.

Took the test this morning with good results: 9/9/9 68.

Here was how I prepared myself.

I bought the Barron's guide to Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I read this book from cover to cover several times and took both astb practice tests. I flash carded the planes names with pictures, all of the nautical terms and the significant aviation events. I scoured this website for every useful piece of gouge I could find. Below I've listed some useful links that I utilized...

http://www.grafitto.com/~mark/astb/MilitaryFlight.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

http://www.navy-officer.com/ASTB prep test.pdf

http://www.navy-officer.com/astboverview.pdf

I also used a study guide that was posted in one of the astb threads by user "atrickpay". That study guide was VERY helpful and had some good knowledge that actually popped up on the test.

Here is a list of things that you should study that wasn't really covered by the Barron's book...

space flight
know astronauts names (first in space, first US in space, first to orbit earth, first on moon)
know the number of mercury, gemini and apollo missions and notable events that happened on each mission
i would highly recommend watching the movie "the right stuff"
also watch top gun and laugh at tom cruise

know more about every type of cloud than you think you should know
seriously... do it

know classifications of airplanes
know what each navy airplane does (cargo, interceptor, fighter etc.)

have your aerodynamics down solid
bernoulli's principle
what flight surfaces do what
know what instruments do what

know what mechanical advantage is
know how pulley's work and block and tackles

for the spacial apperception section - PRACTICE!
if you suck at this section, you should find every available SAT problem and do them over and over until you have every scenario memorized
beware that on the test there are two different bank angles

if you do well on the math sections in barron's, the astb math will be VERY easy. i found that the real MST, RST and Mech sections were easier than barron's but the SAT, ANIT and AST were a little more difficult.

that's all I have. feel free to shoot me a message if you have any q's.

-g

I would add to this that you should know what a VENTURI is and how it works (think of the carb. in a normally aspirated engine). I had a question on this exact thing on my ASTB.

Tomodachi

pilot
I took Form 4 on Feb 9th, waiting on the results to come back from NOMI. Go through this whole thread from 2005+ and read everything. Utilize all of the gouge and links provided. Use all of the Flight Books (Arco/Barrons) and time yourself when taking the practice tests. If you do all of the aforementioned I believe you will do well. On the actual math section I flew threw that part and felt pretty confident. All of the reading comprehension is similar to the practice tests, just know how to read from the passage and only answer upon what is given from the text, no personal biases. Mechanical has alot of similar concepts as the practice guides.

My supplemental was a MATH SUPPLEMENTAL! Yup, all MATH! Wow I was not happy when that happened, another 30 math problems to do in 25 minutes. That sucked but I just saddled up and got focused, even though I was tired after 2+ hours already. I'll let everyone know how I did when I get the results back.

Study Hard!

GS-W

AH-1 W
I took Form 4 on Feb 9th, waiting on the results to come back from NOMI. Go through this whole thread from 2005+ and read everything. Utilize all of the gouge and links provided. Use all of the Flight Books (Arco/Barrons) and time yourself when taking the practice tests. If you do all of the aforementioned I believe you will do well. On the actual math section I flew threw that part and felt pretty confident. All of the reading comprehension is similar to the practice tests, just know how to read from the passage and only answer upon what is given from the text, no personal biases. Mechanical has alot of similar concepts as the practice guides.

My supplemental was a MATH SUPPLEMENTAL! Yup, all MATH! Wow I was not happy when that happened, another 30 math problems to do in 25 minutes. That sucked but I just saddled up and got focused, even though I was tired after 2+ hours already. I'll let everyone know how I did when I get the results back.

Study Hard!

Yea mine was reading! Blah

GS-W

AH-1 W
You are correct. This sections has a little of everything in it including similar questions from previous sections. You will see that some of the questions will be the exact same question as previously asked. Good LUCK!

In fact a I got a 2 of the EXACT same questions from the previous section of the test! BUT, my entire supplement was reading. Nothing but reading.