• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Nnamdi25

I assume you were short on PFAR?
I do appreciate your tip on the uAv cause on the app I average a 1.68 second on the actual exam I was averaging 2.50 another tip I would add is setting the mouse in the center of the screen to help improve speed

Cwhite

El Padrino
I do appreciate your tip on the uAv cause on the app I average a 1.68 second on the actual exam I was averaging 2.50 another tip I would add is setting the mouse in the center of the screen to help improve speed
What insight do you have on the subsets? What did you struggle with, and how well did you do on the PBM portion

dav246

Use

oh no I scored a 6 on my pfar I just want higher scores
Ah Navy.

Better AQR: Get a better OAR, do really good on the ANIT.
Better PFAR: Get better at PBM(Jantzens and video games) and ANIT
Better FOFAR: Better OAR, ANIT, and UAV

Of course all subtests effect your score, but these are the heavy hitters for each score.

Nnamdi25

Ah Navy.

Better AQR: Get a better OAR, do really good on the ANIT.
Better PFAR: Get better at PBM(Jantzens and video games) and ANIT
Better FOFAR: Better OAR, ANIT, and UAV

Of course all subtests effect your score, but these are the heavy hitters for each score.
Yea no big deal I will just build off my prior knowledge and retake it at the beginning end of October beginning of November.

dav246

Yeah the app is slower for some reason. Aim for 1.2ish instead. I recently discovered a trick where you can attach a computer mouse to your apple device and make it even closer to the real thing.

Pringles

Not as much of a question as much as a breakthrough when studying for the UAV section. A basic understanding of four quadrants and acute / obtuse angles makes night and day difference here. We're talking 15/20 correct at 2.7s to 20/20 at 2.2s consistently. It's practically cheating.

The NESW problems are pretty easy, just figure out which direction you need to turn to be where you want to go. But for the 30 / 45/ 60 deg offsets, here is the silver bullet.

The first thing we do is identify the direction of the target we want to hit. Immediately determine if this direction is to the left or right of the UAV to determine which set of targets to hit. If the angle the UAV creates from the bullseye to the direction you want to hit is an ACUTE angle, the target will be the closest target. If the distance is OBTUSE, it will be the distant target.

Don't know if anyone else has shared that wisdom before, but wanted to put it down in case anyone comes looking for help. Good luck everyone!

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Not as much of a question as much as a breakthrough when studying for the UAV section. A basic understanding of four quadrants and acute / obtuse angles makes night and day difference here. We're talking 15/20 correct at 2.7s to 20/20 at 2.2s consistently. It's practically cheating.

The NESW problems are pretty easy, just figure out which direction you need to turn to be where you want to go. But for the 30 / 45/ 60 deg offsets, here is the silver bullet.

The first thing we do is identify the direction of the target we want to hit. Immediately determine if this direction is to the left or right of the UAV to determine which set of targets to hit. If the angle the UAV creates from the bullseye to the direction you want to hit is an ACUTE angle, the target will be the closest target. If the distance is OBTUSE, it will be the distant target.

Don't know if anyone else has shared that wisdom before, but wanted to put it down in case anyone comes looking for help. Good luck everyone!
This is good stuff. I used a very similar strategy on the TBAS because I was not allowed to use anything other than the computer. I found the easiest thing to do was mentally (or quietly whisper to yourself) the direction and angle of the building you need to image. For example, I would say LEFT, SHARP or RIGHT, WIDE. With a little practice, you can be quicker doing this than using the compass strategy. When in doubt, prioritize accuracy over speed. I wish I had done this myself.

Cwhite

El Padrino
Just to confirm. On the EP portion, Does the direction to turn the knobs (on/off/middle) change for every exam? Also, can you preset your knobs before each procedure and just click the trigger?

Lastly, is the updated jantzen sim EP section correct for fuel/engine configuration for each procedure on the actual ASTB-E.. reference below

i.e.,
FIRE:
fuel:100
Engine: 0

ENGINE:
Fuel:0
Engine:100

PROPELLER:
Fuel:50

Last edited:

MotorCookie

Just to confirm. On the EP portion, Does the direction to turn the knobs (on/off/middle) change for every exam? Also, can you preset your knobs before each procedure and just click the trigger?

Lastly, is the updated jantzen sim EP section correct for fuel/engine configuration for each procedure on the actual ASTB-E.. reference below

i.e.,
FIRE:
fuel:100
Engine: 0

ENGINE:
Fuel:0

PROPELLER:
Fuel:50
I'm not sure if the knobs change for every exam but the two times I took the test, they were the same. When you start the EP section, I think it wants you to set the knobs to neutral before you start. But, you can preset the knobs after you start.

The configurations for each procedure on the real test when I took it both times were:

FIRE:
Fuel Low (0)
Power Low (0)

ENGINE:
Fuel High (100)
Power High (100)

PROPELLER
Fuel Neutral (50)
Power High (100)

So the sim isn't 100% accurate but it is still a good example of what you've got to deal with on the test.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
ASTB Prep App Customers:
After getting some feedback on the Terrain Identification PBM Subtest. I think it will be possible to get the update out this weekend with the new subtest included in the app (iOS Only for the moment). I will keep you guys posted on when the update is accepted by apple.

Nnamdi25

ASTB Prep App Customers:
After getting some feedback on the Terrain Identification PBM Subtest. I think it will be possible to get the update out this weekend with the new subtest included in the app (iOS Only for the moment). I will keep you guys posted on when the update is accepted by apple.
Hell yea… @TwoScoops for President