• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

piper56M

Does anyone have a list of formulas that we need to know/memorize and be familiar with?

Also, test for the math section, did they provide us with a formula sheet?
they provide you with some basic formulas on the math section.

as for which formulas/concepts you need to memorize - it's subjective imo. If you read through the posts detailing various people's experiences with the test, you'll find some trends in concepts/problems that show up frequently in the math portion, therefore giving you a good idea of what to expect.

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Question about the dichotic portion; does it test one ear at a time? When I was taking it (umm BTW if you don't pay attention you might go through the practice portion and start the test without realizing it... Learn from my mistake) there were auditory cues in both ears but it would also announce "left" and "right" from time to time and I'm not sure if that is an instruction to focus on inputs in that ear or just a distracter.

Edit: 58 OAR 6 AQR 4 PFAR 4 FOFAR 43 LPSS (I think I got 4&4 because I didn't realize I started the dichotic portion)

Also, I practiced my OAR by getting bullied by my wife on the math and mainly test taking skills on reading and mechanical. I'm buying a HOTAS with a throttle controller because I practiced with mouse and keyboard on the Jantzen Sim but I feel like that wasn't a good analogue and I'm going to have to play with it a little more.

Does anyone have a tip for converting throttle input into W&S and yoke into mouse to practice that portion a little more true to form? My computer only treats it like a game controller.

Last edited:

BorgImo

Does anybody have advice for the NAFTI section? I know it’s kind of a crapshoot, but the first time I took it I honestly felt like I was more or less just picking random answers. Is there any specific mindset I should have for these? Thanks.

csanfilippo9

Does anybody have advice for the NAFTI section? I know it’s kind of a crapshoot, but the first time I took it I honestly felt like I was more or less just picking random answers. Is there any specific mindset I should have for these? Thanks.
Just be honest. What is more like you.

WhiteLotus5125

Use it as an opportunity to catch your breath and reset before the PBM. There's no way to study for this or try and pick options you think the Navy wants to hear. Its just a personality questionnaire so, answer honestly and choose options that match you best.

CTHAviator

Hello everyone,

First time posting here! Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and get some feedback on my scores.

I thought the test was fairly straightforward, very similar to the other comments in this thread. To be honest, I came in hoping for 8's or 9's so I am a bit disappointed with myself. I am not certain whether I should attempt a retake. This was my first attempt and my recruiter was very happy with my scores and thinks if everything else goes well I should be pretty competitive. I think the PBM was what got me the most, while the simulator linked here is awesome, nothing matched the real thing. I felt very good with the math, mechanics, and aviation/nautical sections. Curious to hear what you guys think. Thanks everyone! Best of luck to you all!

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
Certified Flight Instructor
62 8/7/7

csanfilippo9

Hello everyone,

First time posting here! Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and get some feedback on my scores.

I thought the test was fairly straightforward, very similar to the other comments in this thread. I think the PBM was what got me the most, while the simulator linked here is awesome, nothing matched the real thing. I felt very good with the math, mechanics, and aviation/nautical sections. My recruiter was very happy with my scores and thinks if everything else goes well I should be pretty competitive. Curious to hear what you guys think.

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
62 8/7/7
I’d go with it , top tier GPA. 7 Pfar which is solid. worst comes to worst if you get a Pro Rec N retake it and shoot for an 8 PFAR

space_sailor

To be honest, I came in hoping for 8's or 9's so I am a bit disappointed with myself. I am not certain whether I should attempt a retake. This was my first attempt and my recruiter was very happy with my scores and thinks if everything else goes well I should be pretty competitive. Curious to hear what you guys think.

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
62 8/7/7
Hey boss,

We have almost the exact same ASTB and GPA.
I had the same feelings that I needed 8's and 9's. Likewise my recruiter was telling me I had an excellent chance and to go for it.

I was uneasy about not retaking due to how competitive the boards are this year. I thought the scheduled May and August boards were only going to pick up ~40 SNAs. Instead the May board picked up ~100 and they canceled the August board.
It seems more likely the next (October?) board will be even more competitive.

I decided to apply anyway with my scores because I figured if I didn't get picked up the first time around I wouldn't mind a few more months making bank at my job and enjoying life as a civilian. Ended up getting a Pro-Rec-Y for SNA.

If you do decide to retake make sure you are working on the other aspects of your package as it took me 4-5 months from taking the ASTB to submit my package. (and that is without any crazy medical related issues).

If you think you can get your package submitted for the October board then I would submit as is (if I was you).
Else, I would retake.

Last edited:

ScottL

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Hello everyone,

I thought the test was fairly straightforward, very similar to the other comments in this thread. To be honest, I came in hoping for 8's or 9's so I am a bit disappointed with myself. I am not certain whether I should attempt a retake. This was my first attempt and my recruiter was very happy with my scores and thinks if everything else goes well I should be pretty competitive. I think the PBM was what got me the most, while the simulator linked here is awesome, nothing matched the real thing. I felt very good with the math, mechanics, and aviation/nautical sections. Curious to hear what you guys think. Thanks everyone! Best of luck to you all!

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
62 8/7/7
I'm confident that if you're medically qualified and meet the other administrative requirements that you are beyond competitive. I've seen 40 6/6/6 get picked up on first look recently.

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone,

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
62 8/7/7
7 is a toss up so I always say give it a shot, if it doesn't work then retest and reapply.

Hello everyone,

SNA Applicant
B.S. Aerospace 3.91
62 8/7/7
Can't speak for anyone else or for the future decisions of the board, however in the NOV2021 board I was selected for SNA with a degree in mechanical engineering technology, 3.8 GPA, and a 59 7/6/7. Your degree and GPA are more than solid, and you have better ASTB scores across the board than I did. Assuming the rest of your packet is in good shape, I would submit.

mcwisconsin

Took the ASTB for my second time this morning.
Applying for SNA
GPA: 3.71, B.S. Cartography/GIS and Geophysics

Scores from my first go:
Scores: 59 6/5/6

Updated Scores:
Scores: 61 8/7/8

I'm pretty happy with my improvements and am going to submit for the October board. I really hope I don't have to take this exam for the third time, because I honestly don't know how much better I can perform.

skb832

Pretty good improvement. I’d say you should be pretty confident with those scores.

What did you do to get your PFAR up from a 5 to a 7?

mcwisconsin

Pretty good improvement. I’d say you should be pretty confident with those scores.

What did you do to get your PFAR up from a 5 to a 7?
Not sure entirely. I know I did a lot better with the UAV section, and tried to better with listening during the dichotic listening portions. I focused on listening rather than the joystick/throttle. (not saying I completely ignored the joystick/throttle, but I gave the listening priority).