• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

skb832

For the simulator, what sensitivity did you put your HOTAS control on? If I'm practicing the hardest difficulty, my throttle doesn't keep up. But I want to be as close to the real test as possible

BorgImo

Hey all, quick question that came up during my studying. I've seen various versions of "what temperature does carb icing occur at?" and I've seen the correct answer listed as 40, 50, and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Does anybody know what the most correct answer is to this? Thanks

S.B.H.W.M

Hey ya'll so I have a question, I just took the ASBTE today and got a 54 6/6/6. Is that competitive for pilot along with a pretty solid package for the rest of my application? Also, do the marines have a flight program that takes the ASTBE results that I've already taken or not?

piper56M

Hey all, quick question that came up during my studying. I've seen various versions of "what temperature does carb icing occur at?" and I've seen the correct answer listed as 40, 50, and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Does anybody know what the most correct answer is to this? Thanks
Carb icing typically occurs between 20F and 70F (give or take) so I guess it really just depends on the question, and what your other options are. Most questions on carb icing I’ve seen ask for the range of temps which are most favorable for the formation of carb ice

Graduated from OCS this past July and am now in Primary flight school in Corpus Christi. Wanted to look back and give a little bit of gouge to the guys who are just like I was a year ago; scavenging airwarrors for every tip they can find.
Take it from me. If you study this book night and day before you take your ASTB-E, you will be a Student Naval Aviator. Work hard, believe in yourself, study hard, and flash card until you can't anymore.
64/8/8/9

Military Flight Aptitude Tests (Barron's Test Prep)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1438011040/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0E9RC0RDNRF58WT2NREY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

umijs

Hey ya'll so I have a question, I just took the ASBTE today and got a 54 6/6/6. Is that competitive for pilot along with a pretty solid package for the rest of my application? Also, do the marines have a flight program that takes the ASTBE results that I've already taken or not?
What's your GPA? 3.3 GPA, 58/6/7/7 ASTB is considered competitive. And yes the marines take ASTB results

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Graduated from OCS this past July and am now in Primary flight school in Corpus Christi. Wanted to look back and give a little bit of gouge to the guys who are just like I was a year ago; scavenging airwarrors for every tip they can find.
Take it from me. If you study this book night and day before you take your ASTB-E, you will be a Student Naval Aviator. Work hard, believe in yourself, study hard, and flash card until you can't anymore.
64/8/8/9

by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1438011040/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0E9RC0RDNRF58WT2NREY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I will back this up and say that Barron’s is a pretty solid book for preparing for the test. I would also suggest brushing up on exponent and probability questions for the math section

BB Poison

Contributor
64/8/8/9

by Amazon.com
I will back this up and say that Barron’s is a pretty solid book for preparing for the test. I would also suggest brushing up on exponent and probability questions for the math section
Thirding, this plus the Jantzen sim and UAV flashcards

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Did you have a score that you were aiming for on the Jantzen sim?
The general answer is that lower scores = better.

The size of your monitor will affect your score, so there isn’t a specific number you should shoot for. I used to track my scores in a spreadsheet, and if I saw them trending down, then I knew I was getting better.

skb832

Hey guys, took the ASTB for my third and final attempt on Friday and scored a 62 8/8/7.

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone on AirWarriors. This forum has been hugely instrumental to me in the ASTB prep process, and I honestly don't think I could have gotten the scores I did without you all.

Here's a breakdown of how the test went for me/how I studied for each section:
MST:
- exponents, exponents, exponents...
- lots of probability (know your standard deck of cards)
- some rational equations
- geometry
- some complex systems of equations
- factoring
- radical equations
I used a plethora of resources to study for this section, but the most valuable in my opinion is Kyle's Drive. It has a TON of useful information on it, not only for math but also for the other portions.
Some other resources I found useful were IXL, Organic Chemistry Tutor, GRE test prep book (if you're currently in college, your college library probably has a TON of GRE test prep resources to check out), Newstone Prep, the ASTB app, and Barrons. I found the problems in Barron's practice tests a little bit easy in relation what I've seen on the test, but it's a great starting point.
*I really wished I practiced simplifying big fractions and multiplying/dividing out large numbers very quickly more though, because I think it took me a while to do this on the test*

RCT:
Super boring, super dry... I kept spacing out while reading the passages, and had to keep re-reading and re-reading the passage. Process of elimination is the best way to go here. I didn't really study for this section, but LSAT reading comp problems are pretty similar to what you get on the ASTB, so studying some practice problems might help.

MCT:
I felt like I did really well here, don't think I got any questions wrong. Some questions I got were:
- superconductivity question
- pulley questions
- kicking a football in the center of gravity, what happens?
- spiders sitting on a spinning record, which has the fastest linear speed?
- yo-yo problem
surprisingly, the FAA Pilot's Handbook is also a great resource for MCT. I found that while reading the pilot's handbook after studying MCT concepts, I could better understand the MCT material by applying it to aerodynamics/aircraft structural concepts covered in the handbook. There's also the added fact that a lot of the MCT questions are geared towards aviation-based concepts. For example, is linear speed faster on the outside of a spinning disc or on the inside? Hint: think of a propeller.

NATFI:
Just be honest. It's a refreshing break from the rest of the test, so just take your time and really think about which statement suits you best.

ANIT:
I also felt like I did really well on this section. I'm a private pilot so I knew a lot of the written-geared questions, but nevertheless I still prepared A LOT for this section.
Some questions were:
- beam of a ship
- night flying fuel minimums
- which one is NOT a type of flap?
- when do vortices form?
of course I got one or two questions I couldn't have possibly known the answer to, but seems like that's a pretty frequent trend (from what I've read in other posts).
A great way to study for this part is to read the FAA Pilot's Handbook. On Kyle's drive, you can find specific highlighted chapters you should read. Additionally, the 415 cram flashcards were pretty useful as well.

UAV:
I averaged about 2-3 seconds on each target (took a little bit longer on one), didn't miss any.

I practiced really hard for this section, because in previous test attempts this portion kind of kicked my ass. I highly recommend studying the flashcards, and USING THE COMPASS TRICK! on my first attempt, I was really stupid and thought I could be quicker if I didn't use the compass trick but this plan backfired horribly because I missed a TON of targets plus took way too much time to answer.

Dichotic Listening:
I practiced by randomly generating strings of numbers and letters and putting it into a TTS engine which generated MP3 files. I sent one file to my phone, and kept another on my laptop and I would play one file in one ear and another file in the other ear while pressing the corresponding buttons for even/odd on my joystick and throttle. Also, whenever I was studying for school or just lounging around I would play one podcast in one ear, and another podcast or music in the other to help me get used to picking out information from a selected ear.

I feel like I did really well on this part, don't think I missed any cues. I wrote E on my right hand and O on my left hand to further help me remember which hand was for which numbers.

Vertical Tracking/Airplane Tracking:
A big difference between this attempt and the previous attempts on the test was that this time, I was actually really excited for this section. On the other two attempts, I dreaded the PBM portions because I convinced myself I would do badly on them. Have CONFIDENCE! Also, have fun. I actually caught myself smiling while tracking, and I basically just treated it like a video game.
I HIGHLY recommend buying a joystick/throttle set and practicing in the ASTB trainer. Besides using the ASTB trainer, I also played War Thunder where I would just take a plane for a test flight and fly around. I think this really helped

Combined Dichotic Listening/Vertical Tracking/Airplane Tracking:
Chaos, but totally doable. I think it was actually easier to listen to the dichotic listening tracks during this part just because of how tuned in I was.

Emergency Procedures:
Some may say to "just drop the controls and do the emergency procedure when the emergencies pop up", but I don't recommend this. For starters, the instructions on the test explicitly say to NOT stop "flying" the plane when the emergencies come up. Secondly, in real life you wouldn't just drop the controls while flying in the event of an emergency.

To anyone currently studying for their first, second, or third attempt - best of luck, and don't give up! remember that the test really isn't that bad when you put in the time and effort to thoroughly prepare, and remember to show up to the exam site confident and knowing you'll absolutely ace the test.

Fly Navy!
On the emergency procedures, what was your tactic? I feel like dropping the controls for a second is the only way to do it.

BB Poison

Contributor
Did you have a score that you were aiming for on the Jantzen sim?
The general answer is that lower scores = better.

The size of your monitor will affect your score, so there isn’t a specific number you should shoot for. I used to track my scores in a spreadsheet, and if I saw them trending down, then I knew I was getting better.
Pretty much just aimed for a lower score. I would recommend starting with like medium difficulty and setting a goal avg target distance then when you can consistently hit that goal, up the difficulty. Use a spreadsheet to track your avg distance and attempt # so you can see your progress.

To answer your question about emergency procedures, you should be able to keep tracking the target while performing the emergency procedure. Not sure what HOTAS your test center will use but mine used the Logitech X52 which has rotary knobs on the stick and throttle that were used to adjust fuel and power. If I remember correctly the emergencies either required full fuel/power or no fuel/power so remember the direction you need to rotate the knob for each and you should be able to do it while tracking.

WhiteLotus5125

I feel like dropping the controls for a second is the only way to do it.
You shouldn't have to stop tracking. All of the controls that you need are on your throttle. Have an emergency checklist written down on a scratch sheet of paper and glance over if you need to when the emergency alert comes on, but that should be the only time your eyes come off the screen. Your hands should still be on the stick and throttle.

piper56M

On the emergency procedures, what was your tactic? I feel like dropping the controls for a second is the only way to do it.
like everyone else is saying, you shouldn't have to drop the controls to complete the emergency procedures. When I took the test, I a.) made sure I wrote down the procedures really neatly and in an organized fashion so if I needed to reference them I could very quickly, b.) practiced the emergency procedures a little bit and got used to which way to turn the knobs/reaching for the knobs while "flying", c.) made sure to keep the gauge in the corner of the screen within my peripheral vision to check for any indications of an emergency.

I also highly agree with people who are saying to keep an excel spreadsheet tracking your progress with the sim. I did this for my latest attempt, and I think it helped immensely in gauging my progress.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)

Here's a little pro tip I got from page 475:

The gauges stay where you put them. I had mine preset for when the warning lights came on then I was ready to go. Because the emergency showed up in order 123. At least it did both times when I took the ASTB.
Exactly. Unless it's on the instructions you should be fine. Otherwise, there is no way of knowing.
I do know for a fact that the screen did not flash red at all when I did it this way and my score was higher.

My other tip that doesn't seem to be talked about as much is making a compass for the UAV portion. Make a paper compass THEN poke your pen through the middle of it. Now keep your pen/compass in your left hand to spin while you use your right hand to click with the mouse.

Basically, you don't lose points for not keeping the gauges in neutral (unless I completely missed that in the instructions) and the order of the procedures also never changes. This means that you can have your knobs pre-set for the emergency so you'll only have to press the clutch when that light comes up.

The caveat to this is that you'll still have to know how to change the knobs prior to each procedure while flying. That being said, I'd like to think that you should be able to take advantage of this to get a higher score.

Also, poking a pencil through the center of your compass rose and rotating it with that is an elite tip for the UAV portion. Much easier than using your hand to do rotate it.