• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Nathanrsal

Hey everyone! After two months of hardcore studying, I finally completed my ASTB-E this afternoon!

This was my first attempt and I believe last, I got a 58 8/8/8

For a little background, I am an Astrophysics major, Commercial Pilot, play video games, and have simulator experience, will be applying for SNA.

I can say I am the first and probably last person to have taken their ASTB during a rave...

Okay, for starters I walked into the testing room, and the florescent tube lightbulbs in the ceiling we're flashing NON STOP, it was like a rave, and an epileptic persons worst nightmare. The proctor even cracked a joke about it LOL.

MATH COMPREHENSION:

The math portion I felt was "easy" for how much effort I put in, not easy in terms of question progression, they noticeable got more and more challenging as it went. I got questions on probability, exponents, radicals, simplifying polynomials, arc length, area of a circle, calculating how many sides a shape has by a given interior angle, logs, labor problems (if it takes joe 10 mins to do a task and jane 15, how long will it take if they work together), and length of sides of a box after being given volume of a box.

Going into the exam, I made sure to master all of the following, seriously use Organic Chem Tutor on YouTube for all the subsections below that he has made a video for, the guy explains it clearly, and doesn't put me to sleep like Khan Academy haha.

-Addition/Subtraction/Multiplication/Long Division
-Matrix: addition/subtraction/multiplication
-D=RT (distance = rate x time)
-Probability
-Logarithms
-"Labor Problems"
-Weighted averages and percentages
-Area of circle/triangle/square
-Volume of cubes/cylinders/cones
-FOIL
-Perfect numbers
-Arc Length
-Binary
-Radicals/Exponents

Super bummed I didn't get any matrix, D=RT, or binary problems, but at least you get to learn some pretty neat stuff in the process.

READING COMPREHENSION:

So like I said earlier, I took the ASTB in a rave, this made it damn near impossible to read the long, dry, and boring paragraphs. I honestly had to re-read them an embarrassing amount of times because I just couldn't concentrate with the constant flashing of the lights, so I think my OAR was this "low" because I didn't do as well on the reading portion. Not much advice on this one, but was also my least studied area when it came to this test.

MECHANICAL COMPREHENSION:

For this section, I found it really straight forward, I think there was one problem that required some arithmetic, other than that it was all conceptual questions, I would make sure you know these below:

-Mechanical Advantage with pulleys/inclined planes/levers
-Tension/Springs
-Torque
-Balancing things on a fulcrum
-Gears
-Circuits in parallel vs series (Ohms Law)
-Pendulums
-Buoyancy
-Density
-Specific Gravity
-Bernoulli's Principle
-Screws mechanical advantage

I didn't get any gears surprisingly, didn't have to calculate resistant or circuits at all, I was asked conceptual questions about AC circuits thought. For sure had a venturi questions asking about Bernoulli's principle.

NAFTI:

Super boring, 99 questions, 20 or so minutes of my life that I will never get back ;)

As you hear from everyone, you have to pick between two bad choices, I was surprised to see positive choices on there though. Awesome that you don't have to study for it, just use your noggin.

ANIT:

So having my commercial pilots license, I knew 95% of the stuff off the bat, all I had to learn was boat terminology via the sweet cram flash cards which I will have the link of a link to. I surprisingly didn't get asked questions that had navy relevance, such as dates, terms, stuff of that sort, it was strictly parts of a plane, their functions, parts of a boat, and that was it.

UAV:

This portion I used the compass rose paper trick every day and knocked out the flashcards and was able to ace it at home.

When I did the practice ones prior to starting the UAV section, my brain shut off and I couldn't remember how to do the trick, prefect timing right?

I had to re learn it on the spot, then pressed start and got all 48 correct with about a 1.3-2.5 second window.

This portion is probably the best and most available to prepare for so make sure you know it well.

DICHOTIC LISTENING:

I TOTALLY BOTCHED THE FIRST ONE!!!

For some silly reason, when the test started, I disregarded "target ear" and just clicked the clutch button on the throttle when I heard an odd number, and pulled the trigger on the joystick when I heard an even. I realized 25 seconds into doing this that I was completely F'ing it up, corrected for the rest - and took my L.

I was so bummed for 0.2 seconds and then snapped back into "get over it, finish your test" mode.

A big key in this is keeping your head up and not letting yourself feel like total garbage after one mistake.

I think the reason I got 8/8/8 and not any 9's, was due to this big mess up on the first portion of the listening.

DICHOTIC LISTENING WITH STICK AND THROTTLE:

This was actually kind of fun after a while, I figured out my previous mistakes and made sure not to replicate them, all I can say is focus on joystick tracking, click the appropriate buttons, and manage your vertical tracking with your peripheral vision.

EMERGENCY WITH STICK AND THROTTLE:

This portion was the easiest part of the test. It gave you the 3 emergencies and you had to do the three simple tasks to put it out and it was over. I think it lasted less than 15 seconds.

I did notice that my controls were opposite in direction for the fuel and power wheel-buttons, so watch out for that.

If the previous gentleman is reading this, I reset my stuff to neutral every time and didn't have the same issue you had.

-------------------------------------------------------

To address some of the quirks I read on the past forums, I never had to leave my mouse on clock to show timer, it displayed it no matter what, along with the formula tab for the math part.

I used the Barron and the Trivium books only for their tests, not for their material because I already knew the stuff that was in there, and its really basic compared to what is on the exam.

All in all, it is a manageable test and if I can do it, you can do it, seriously.

Hit me up with any questions, I am more than happy to answer and help!

Here is everything I studied, I am trying to be an updated 1 stop shop for the new people taking it:

POST #5,132 https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...our-questions-here.28348/page-343#post-953698

POST 6,322 https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-422

POST 6,267 https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-418

POST 4,885 https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-418

exNavyOffRec

Ok sorry about my original post. I am looking to be a pilot in the navy. I am not looking for anything else. I know my PFAR is low.

SNA
If you apply to this board and get rolled that will delay being seen, the best case is roll the dice apply and get a Y, but realistically a 5 isn't going to cut it and you should be looking at retesting so after you get a N your can test and reapply right away.

If decide to apply to this board I would make sure you tell your recruiter that you wish to apply for SNA only, do this in an email so there is a paper trail.

Hey everyone, about a year ago I decided to take the ASTB and I've learned a lot from it since. As part of my ROTC Program, I was able to build an ASTB Prep Package based on this forum. Although it was challenging and took several months to accomplish, I was able to read over every single post (literally everyone single one) on this forum up to 03 MAY 2021. I never thought of sharing this Test Prep Package on this website when it was completed but after some time, I decided it was best for everyone to see what I came up with. Keep in mind that the majority of this information is what I found throughout this forum with some of it being from my own personal experience. Hope you all find this useful so that you no longer have to go through hundreds of pages to find the one thing you need. Share it so that others may benefit from this and you can always reach out to me if you need help. Hope y'all the best.

Some of my background information:

University of New Mexico- Bachelors of Arts in Criminology with a Minor in Military Studies. I graduated in 3 years as a Marine Option with a 4.06 GPA.

1st Attempt: 21 October 2020
OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

2nd Attempt: 23 November 2020
OAR: 50
AQR: 7
PFAR: 7
FOFAR: 7

enzy24

Hey everyone, about a year ago I decided to take the ASTB and I've learned a lot from it since. As part of my ROTC Program, I was able to build an ASTB Prep Package based on this forum. Although it was challenging and took several months to accomplish, I was able to read over every single post (literally everyone single one) on this forum up to 03 MAY 2021. I never thought of sharing this Test Prep Package on this website when it was completed but after some time, I decided it was best for everyone to see what I came up with. Keep in mind that the majority of this information is what I found throughout this forum with some of it being from my own personal experience. Hope you all find this useful so that you no longer have to go through hundreds of pages to find the one thing you need. Share it so that others may benefit from this and you can always reach out to me if you need help. Hope y'all the best.

Some of my background information:

University of New Mexico- Bachelors of Arts in Criminology with a Minor in Military Studies. I graduated in 3 years as a Marine Option with a 4.06 GPA.

1st Attempt: 21 October 2020
OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

2nd Attempt: 23 November 2020
OAR: 50
AQR: 7
PFAR: 7
FOFAR: 7
That's awesome, great improvement and props for sharing man

nixxx3

hello everybody! I will be retaking my OAR soon, I was just wondering if the second time it is easier or harder? I heard that the second time is harder, idk im just curious, my math was basically algebra, what other types of math should i focus on? sorry for the bother! Just curious this second time around

Kenny1776

I've seen multiple sources but for those that did very well, what did you use and can you link it here? Thank you
I am currently studying in case I am not picked up for SNA in November. Listed below are my stats.
ASTB- 50 566
Criminal Justice Degree- 3.67 GPA
7 years Air National Guard (Top Performer, Airman of the Quarter, Green Rope Airman Leader)
Current E5 (NCO) as an Aircraft Mechanic in the ANG
Private Pilot License (59.9 hours)
LORs- O5 (Current Commander in ANG), O5 (Army JAG), O2 (Army Infantry Officer), P.hd. (College Professor)
A fair amount of volunteer hours

Any helpful links, resources, or constructive feedback are welcome. I mainly need help with math and some mechanical.
Thanks in advance!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen multiple sources but for those that did very well, what did you use and can you link it here? Thank you
I am currently studying in case I am not picked up for SNA in November. Listed below are my stats.
ASTB- 50 566
Criminal Justice Degree- 3.67 GPA
7 years Air National Guard (Top Performer, Airman of the Quarter, Green Rope Airman Leader)
Current E5 (NCO) as an Aircraft Mechanic in the ANG
Private Pilot License (59.9 hours)
LORs- O5 (Current Commander in ANG), O5 (Army JAG), O2 (Army Infantry Officer), P.hd. (College Professor)
A fair amount of volunteer hours

Any helpful links, resources, or constructive feedback are welcome. I mainly need help with math and some mechanical.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to AirWarriors. This entire sub has lots of good info. Take some time to read through the threads….you will find what you’re looking for. Start here.

BusterScruggs

I'm looking for tips on improving specifically my PFAR score.

So far I've taken two attempts - 50 5/4/6 and 49 5/5/6. Any tips to get that middle number up to 6+ are greatly appreciated!

(I'm applying to the USMC btw)

drivefasturnleft

2nd attempt 48 6/6/6 applying for SNA only. With a PPL and instrument rating with around 250 hours are these scores competitive? Not sure how much the extracurriculars weigh in to the board decision

Aloha all,

Does anyone have any experience with their ASTB test crashing, or how to correct the issue? I am set to take the ASTB this week, however, my point of contact said its been "cutting off and losing connection". They are not confident I will be able to complete the whole thing (this is the only testing site currently available in Hawaii).

The ASTB is the last item I need for my Flight School application, which has a deadline of 01 Sept. Any advice on how to trouble shoot this would be immensely appreciated!

exNavyOffRec

Aloha all,

Does anyone have any experience with their ASTB test crashing, or how to correct the issue? I am set to take the ASTB this week, however, my point of contact said its been "cutting off and losing connection". They are not confident I will be able to complete the whole thing (this is the only testing site currently available in Hawaii).

The ASTB is the last item I need for my Flight School application, which has a deadline of 01 Sept. Any advice on how to trouble shoot this would be immensely appreciated!
If it stops working just wait and they will regain connectivity, if not they will have you come back and it will pick up where you left off, the test is adaptive in case you weren't told.

hey guys, I'm new here and I've gotten a ton of great info and study tools. I was wondering if anyone had any specific forms for their volunteering and community work or if you guys just compiled it into a nicely formatted word document.
if someone has already asked this, please feel free to let me know where at, i've read through about 100 pages of this very long thread and find a ton on every page, but i dont believe i've seen what i am looking for.
thanks in advance!

Azteca1990

Looking for some feedback on my competitiveness for Pilot/NFO and/or Crypto/IP boards based on my scores and GPA, etc.
OAR: 47 (kind of low)
ASTB: 5/5/5 (low too)
GPA: 4.0
Degree: Major in Homeland Security
Minors in Fraud and Arabic
Concentration Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies
Division II College Athlete
Apart of the Honors College at my school
Involved in 5 clubs on campus
Run the lifting committee for my team athletics
Have three seasonal jobs (unrelated to my degree)
I am taking the ASTB again because I think I can do better the second time. Just curious how I look so far.

I think you have answered your own question, you are competitive, and just need to believe you are. Most people applying to these post-graduate programs, such as graduate programs, med school, OCS etc. will have similar characteristics and experiences such as yourself. Just do your best and see what unfolds.