• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

das

Contributor
I have a question: I'm taking the ASTB in two weeks. I remember my recruiter saying something about if you're applying for Intel, you have to take some of the other sections of the test besides the basic 3 that make up the OAR. However, he has not been helpful at all- I emailed him to ask what those other sections are so I can study for them, but he hasn't answered yet and I HAVE to buckle down on those! Does anyone know?

Yes, you have to take the whole ASTB:

Math Skills Test (MST)
Reading Skills Test (RST)
Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT)
Spatial Apperception Test (SAT)
Aviation and Nautical Information Test (ANIT)
Aviation Supplemental Test (AST)

The first three make up the OAR, and are primarily aptitude tests. In other words, other than perhaps brushing up on long division or your multiplication tables, there isn't a lot of "studying" that can make those portions much better. What's most helpful there is to take timed sample tests to give you a feeling for how much time you have on each section.

The Spatial Apperception Test component is the one that shows a landscape as it would appear from the cockpit of an aircraft, and then shows airplanes in different orientations. You then identify which aircraft represents that landscape as seen from its cockpit. This is again largely an aptitude test, but if this isn't your cup of tea, some practice can help, here, too.

The Aviation and Nautical Information Test is the one you can study for. It's completely aviation and nautical terms, "trivia", concepts, principles, etc. As others have said, it's "a mile wide and an inch deep". Study as many of the resources as you can. It is NOT in-depth; it's very broad, but very basic.

The Aviation Supplemental Test could have question types from any of the prior sections. In my case, the AST was actually just another whole math test, and had ONLY math questions...nothing from nautical or aviation. Some folks have gotten another ANIT-type test, others have apparently had a mix, etc. This piece of the test is used as part of the formula to contribute to your scores.

If you read through this thread and other threads in the ASTB section of this forum, you'll find everything you need to know and more. If you look at this post above, the items linked there are the common resources people use for studying. The Barrons and Arco books are great for their sample tests, as is the Marine Gouge.

Basically, you are taking the ASTB the same way someone applying for aviation takes it. Good luck!

hurricane221

Took the ASTB

56 6/6/7 version 3 I believe

Jr. Boston University
3.1 GPA International Relations 3.6 in major
D1 Swimming
LORs: Swim coach, 2 professors ( 05 army)
BDCP for now for SNA/NFO

zbeasley

Took the ASTB this morning.

6/6/6 52

It seemed like I missed a ton; I felt like I was struggling on every section. But I am pleased with the results. I used the Barron's book as well the ARCO. My supplemental section was comprised entirely (not kidding, at least 95%) of avionic questions.

Math and Science were never my strong suit, so as far as self-teaching goes, i think I did alright.

I gave all of my flash cards to my recruiter to give to the next unfortunate soul who has to take the test. I figured I might as well share my knowledge (or lack thereof).

Some sage advice from someone who just got done with it, flight handbooks are a great resource, go down to your nearest airport/flight school and pick one up. Be prepared to see spatial questions that are a little more difficult that the practice ones you're used to. Other than that come to the test cool, calm and collected...only thing you need to bring is your game face.

Cheers- Z

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I'm taking the ASTB in a week and a half.

I've been studying all the gouge on this site as well as two of the ARCO books. I feel pretty confident.

Quick question; someone mentioned something about knowing "basic physics." As someone who has never taken a physics class, what exactly is meant by this? If I understand all the concepts on the mechanical comp sections of the study guide, should that be all that is necessary in terms of basic physics?

Also, my GPA is a 3.1 but my latest official transcript I just had sent to me lists my GPA at 2.99 because it does not take the summer school classes I just completed into consideration. Those will not show up on any official transcript until the Fall 2009 semester begins. The thing is, my recruiter really wants to get my package out to the board before the summer is over. Will the board only take into consideration what is on my official transcript; i.e. the 2.99, not the newer 3.1 gpa? Is it worth it to wait until I can send in a package with a 3+ gpa?

Here's some background on me too:

Sex: M
GPA: 3.1 Cumalative, 3.285 Major, 4.0 Minor
Major: Geographical Information Sciences
Minor: History
Extras: VP of Fraternity, VP of Interfraternity Council, Awarded two different Scholarships in College
LORs: Working on these. Will not knowing that many people with a military background be detrimental to my package? I have some great people who will be able to really vouch for my character, but maybe only one with relevant military background.

Thanks all!

(Will post my scores when I get them)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^Studying the mechanical sections in the Arco books should be fine. Thats all I did and I had never taken any physics classes.

I would submit the package with a 2.99 GPA. Worst case scenario, you don't get picked up. So then next time when you submit, you have a higher GPA and higher ASTB scores (if you need to retake).

As far as the LOR's go, its no big deal if you don't have people with a military background writing you letters. College professors, old supervisors, family, and close friends are all good. Good luck with your ASTB.

JSnake

Been lurking around here for a while, but finally started working on my application in the beginning of this summer. Took ASTB a couple of weeks ago, got 9/9/9 72. Thanks for all the help guys, all the gouges were really helpful.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Been lurking around here for a while, but finally started working on my application in the beginning of this summer. Took ASTB a couple of weeks ago, got 9/9/9 72. Thanks for all the help guys, all the gouges were really helpful.
^^^ Wow! Nice work. Don't think you'll have to worry about retaking the ASTB.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Nice job!!

I was an active duty recruiter in the mid '80s. The test I used then was the same one I took in the late '70s and when I came back to recruiting as a reservist in the late '90s. I never remember hearing of guys getting the scores I see now. It is possible that the test is a bit easier. I highly doubt the candidates are any smarter then we were. I think the key is preparation. While we had the ARCO book, it came up pretty short. Today there is more then one published book, and, of course the web and specifically Air Warriors. I am certain that getting the gouge, encouragement and motivation from AW is responsible for the test scores we see now. I would venture to guess that the average score of an AW member is much higher then the average score of someone who has never been here.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I would venture to guess that the average score of an AW member is much higher then the average score of someone who has never been here.

Oh absolutely. I don't think I would have done nearly as well without all the gouge and encouragement I got here. I would imagine that the acceptance rate of AW members would be higher, as well, but that's just speculation. It's a fantastic resource, I'm so glad I found it.

JSnake

Nice job!!
I am certain that getting the gouge, encouragement and motivation from AW is responsible for the test scores we see now. I would venture to guess that the average score of an AW member is much higher then the average score of someone who has never been here.

No doubt about it! I wouldn't have even known where to start if it weren't for AW. The test had no surprises, had everything guys on AW said it would, just took a bit of cramming the night before for the aeronautical info.