• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Thank you! that sounds like a great idea. Would you be willing to do a break down on certain material for each section I should focus on to finish up studying?
You're taking the ASTB so I'm assuming you're wanting to go SNA and/or NFO as first or second pick?

If you haven't already, go find some private pilot certification review videos on YouTube, they should be an hour long or more and go over a ton of aviation info and sections that will prep or supplement your aviation knowledge.

It's my opinion that a lot of the math and language sections are kind of set in stone for you now being a week out, so focus on your weak sections exclusively in the last week with minor review in everything else here and there.

It's an adaptive test so it will be slightly different for everyone.

RNeptune

You're taking the ASTB so I'm assuming you're wanting to go SNA and/or NFO as first or second pick?

If you haven't already, go find some private pilot certification review videos on YouTube, they should be an hour long or more and go over a ton of aviation info and sections that will prep or supplement your aviation knowledge.

It's my opinion that a lot of the math and language sections are kind of set in stone for you now being a week out, so focus on your weak sections exclusively in the last week with minor review in everything else here and there.

It's an adaptive test so it will be slightly different for everyone.
I am going for AWO which is the same as NFO I believe. When I spoke to my recruiter I had two options given my degree. They were SWO or AWO

RNeptune

Isn't AWO the enlisted aircrewman?
Im confused now..lol. I did look it up and you are right. The initial conversation with my recruiter was that If I wanted to go for pilot, I would go for SWO (surface warfare officer) or navigation which would be AWO

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Im confused now..lol. I did look it up and you are right. The initial conversation with my recruiter was that If I wanted to go for pilot, I would go for SWO (surface warfare officer) or navigation which would be AWO
I think you're confusing AWO for what should be NFO. And I concur with @Silver-Shades about the concern with your degree deciding your options, that doesn't sound right at all.

Do you mean in addition to SNA you would pick SWO or NFO?

PEFO Silver-Shades

If you want to go in as a Pilot, you'll want to submit your packet for SNA, and if you want to submit for navigation you'd want to submit a packet for NFO. both boards meet on the same day as well

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Im not sure, thats just how my recruiter explained it to me. I have a bachelors degree is psychology
I think they're trying to push you to SWO and NFO just based on potentially limited SNA slots right now. Your psychology degree would have very little bearing on the aviation board, and if you look at October's Excel, there are a myriad of degrees present.

RNeptune

I think you're confusing AWO for what should be NFO. And I concur with @Silver-Shades about the concern with your degree deciding your options, that doesn't sound right at all.

Do you mean in addition to SNA you would pick SWO or NFO?
I just want to do the navigation part,
I think they're trying to push you to SWO and NFO just based on potentially limited SNA slots right now. Your psychology degree would have very little bearing on the aviation board, and if you look at October's Excel, there are a myriad of degrees present.
Can you explain the difference to me with those? I told my recruiter I absolutely did not want SWO, so she said AWO (so I guess that is NFO) is my other option.

What do you mean by having very little bearing?

What other options would I have with my degree?

PEFO Silver-Shades

Can you explain the difference to me with those? I told my recruiter I absolutely did not want SWO, so she said AWO (so I guess that is NFO) is my other option.

I think hes regarding to the many other applicants who have submitted their packet with various degrees. the SNA/NFO boards look heavily on your ASTB scores and little to your degree/GPA. for example i submitted my packet for this upcoming SNA/NFO board with a bachelors degree in Biomedical Science. the other boards like INTEL and SUPPLY look more into your degree (they favor STEM degrees more than others). if you are wanting to navigate youll want to submit for NFO. SNA are the individuals flying the plane.

Ghost SWO

Contributor

So you're looking at NFO primarily which would be aircraft navigation, SWO would be ship navigation. AWO is an enlisted rate for aircrew which to my knowledge does not do navigation, and is not in any way an officer job.

The aviation board doesn't really care what degree you have. They care a little more what the GPA might be but that's about it.

Any option or rate you wish to choose. Some boards will be more selective based on GPA and degree (Like SWO), but for NFO (or the aviation board in general) they couldn't care less what the degree is.

RNeptune

I think hes regarding to the many other applicants who have submitted their packet with various degrees. the boards look heavily on your ASTB scores and little to your degree/GPA. for example i submitted my packet for this upcoming SNA/NFO board with a bachelors degree in Biomedical Science. the other boards like INTEL and SUPPLY look more into your degree (they favor STEM degrees more than others)
So you're looking at NFO primarily which would be aircraft navigation, SWO would be ship navigation. AWO is an enlisted rate for aircrew which to my knowledge does not do navigation, and is not in any way an officer job.

The aviation board doesn't really care what degree you have. They care a little more what the GPA might be but that's about it.

Any option or rate you wish to choose. Some boards will be more selective based on GPA and degree (Like SWO), but for NFO (or the aviation board in general) they couldn't care less what the degree is.
I know I am for sure going for officer rating, I went to MEPS yesterday and I was identified as an officer candidate so maybe there was just some miscommunication on the rates. Can you give me some examples of other options, I honestly have no clue what else I would be able to do

PEFO Silver-Shades

I know I am for sure going for officer rating, I went to MEPS yesterday and I was identified as an officer candidate so maybe there was just some miscommunication on the rates. Can you give me some examples of other options, I honestly have no clue what else I would be able to do
There is AMDO (aviation Maintenance Duty Officer)
SWO (Surface warfare Officer
SNA (Student Naval Aviator
Supply
Intel
PAO (Public Affairs' Officer)
CW (Cryptologic Warfare)
IP (Information Professional)
CEC (Engineer Corps)
CWE (Cyber Warfare Engineer

Im sure i missed a couple