• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Im confused now..lol. I did look it up and you are right. The initial conversation with my recruiter was that If I wanted to go for pilot, I would go for SWO (surface warfare officer) or navigation which would be AWO
I am thinking either you are really misunderstanding your recruiter or your recruiter is not that bright.

For the joystick and throttle portion, does anyone think that playing Star Wars squadrons on hotas would be good practice?

I have been using Aim Hero, its $3 on steam, use the laser gun and invert the controls. On top of this I have been playing War Thunder, its a free flight sim that can also be found off steam. For that game I inverted the controls using a joystick and throttle.

Oski510

I have been using Aim Hero, its $3 on steam, use the laser gun and invert the controls. On top of this I have been playing War Thunder, its a free flight sim that can also be found off steam. For that game I inverted the controls using a joystick and throttle.
I would recommend increasing the stick sensitivity. One thing I noticed when taking the test was that it was super sensitive compared to my own hotas at home.

I would recommend increasing the stick sensitivity. One thing I noticed when taking the test was that it was super sensitive compared to my own hotas at home.
Yes I agree it was extremely sensitive when I took it over a year ago. I also remember it being laggy, for instance I would push the throttle forward and it would almost take 1.5-2 seconds for it to react and by that time the target was somewhere else

JinxRocket

FishBones47 (B.S. Aviation Management GPA 3.59)
Does anyone know if the Coast Guard cares about the OAR section for flight applicants? I am still going to try and smash it because I also want to have the Navy as an option. It only states their minimums for the ASTB-E portion, but does anyone know how/if they consider the OAR score?

kswhite91

NFO Wannabe
Hey guys! Not sure if I will get a response in time, but I take my ASTB tomorrow. I've been studying the last couple of weeks, but would really like to dive in deeper on the Mechanical Comprehension Section. Any advice to further prepare me for that section? Thanks!

PEFO Silver-Shades

Hey guys! Not sure if I will get a response in time, but I take my ASTB tomorrow. I've been studying the last couple of weeks, but would really like to dive in deeper on the Mechanical Comprehension Section. Any advice to further prepare me for that section? Thanks!
If i remember correctly, Understand about Pulleys, Mechanical Advantages, the three different fulcrums.
There were a couple problems with Force/Velocity
Have relative good knowledge of Newtons law, Bernoulli's principle, Charles law
Slight knowledge about Electrical circuits (Series, and parallel) and the equation regarding ohms, resistance.

Many of the questions will have a diagram so youll be able to physically see what the question is asking

kswhite91

NFO Wannabe
If i remember correctly, Understand about Pulleys, Mechanical Advantages, the three different fulcrums.
There were a couple problems with Force/Velocity
Have relative good knowledge of Newtons law, Bernoulli's principle, Charles law
Slight knowledge about Electrical circuits (Series, and parallel) and the equation regarding ohms, resistance.

Many of the questions will have a diagram so youll be able to physically see what the question is asking
Thank you so much! I'll review the laws and principles, other than that, I feel fairly confident based on what you listed.

Snowprincess01

I'm looking for a little advice. I took the ASTB and scored 6/6/6 50. I'm a Marine with flight experience and GPA 3.75. My selections as it stands are SNA, NFO, and SWO. I'm debating retaking the ASTB or not. My recruiter said he feels I have a solid package but better scores are always better (obviously).

NevarYalnal

I'm looking for a little advice. I took the ASTB and scored 6/6/6 50. I'm a Marine with flight experience and GPA 3.75. My selections as it stands are SNA, NFO, and SWO. I'm debating retaking the ASTB or not. My recruiter said he feels I have a solid package but better scores are always better (obviously).
you only have 3 lifetime tries, so submit and plan for retest if you don't get picked up. an updated OAR score also allows you to bypass the 6 month waiting period so you can reapply immediately to the next board.

Snowprincess01

you only have 3 lifetime tries, so submit and plan for retest if you don't get picked up. an updated OAR score also allows you to bypass the 6 month waiting period so you can reapply immediately to the next board.
Thank you. I didn't know an updated OAR let's you bypass. I've been leaning towards letting it ride due to someone in Aug very similar to me who got selected SNA. Our difference is he was a male and my GPA is higher. Everything else was same same.

Andrew_franny

If I were to know all information in the technical section of Barron's Flight Aptitude Tests, will I be prepared for the ANIT section of the ASTB? I still anticipate going through outside materials, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the relevance of Barron's material.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
If I were to know all information in the technical section of Barron's Flight Aptitude Tests, will I be prepared for the ANIT section of the ASTB? I still anticipate going through outside materials, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the relevance of Barron's material.
Prepared... yeah somewhat. I have a Private Pilot License and have gone through fixed-wing and rotary ground school and a couple of the questions were still over my head. If you want some supplemental information, look up private pilot checkride review videos on YouTube. Those should do a good job of covering or showing you what to review for the ANIT section.