• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BullGator

I'm sure if I see the pictures with arrows pointing to certain parts with the name, I can google the explanations. Just something basic--ailerons, elevators, wing flaps, etc. Also, all the angles (attack, deflection, incidence) would be helpful. I'm just looking through the ARCO book right now stopping at questions that I did not get correct. Hand signals & how a headwind/tailwind effects takeoff and climb were also a little Also, parts of a ship (just a diagram) and the navigation lights. Thanks for your immediate response, too!
Ailerons- know everything about them. You should already. Look this up on wikipedia.
Elevators- controls pitch angle; has opposite effect as elevator trim-tab; wikipedia also.
Flaps- Increase drag and lift when extended/down. Important for landing: allows to increase lift at reduced speeds.

Headwind -increases lift and rate of climb. Tailwind causes for faster take offs and lessened the climbing rate.

Basically, that is a real rough description (been a long day, and haven't studied for the ASTB since late August). I used wikipedia a lot on this type of stuff. There is also a NASA website that goes in detail about aeronautics, but I don't think you have time for that (or the FAA handbook) as that is also too indepth for this test. Make sure you know the Marine gouge by heart and understand it. Make sure to know anything that is very basic to flight (ie. ailerons!, principle of lift, drag types, rudder/elevator/trim-tabs, instruments (to a limited extent), and so forth). As for pictures of boats, I think the website was something like boatsafe.org or close to that. There is also a picture of a boat on the Marine gouge. Those are basic speed boat types, e.g. small boats; so also know what is on a ship, and the associated basic one-sentance definitions. I don't think you'd see a picture so much as it would ask for a definition.

You have three chances, so when going in there be calm and confident and you will do well; just knowing I had other chances let me relax plenty. I took it once and got 7,7,8 58. Let us know how you do and if you have more questions: I won't give what is on there, but will guide you to learn the right stuff that you will learn eventually anyway. I'm going to bed; just check out wikipedia and keep studying, get some shut-eye yourself and you're good to go.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Study guide is www.petersons.com/airforce/books.asp Go to right side of page and study book labeled Military Flight Officer’s Aptitude Test. Test you will be taking is Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Selection Test Battery in Section 6 of book.

Thank my recruiter.

On the practice test there are various questions about nautical terms and ship components. Pick out the ones you don't know and look them up online, memorize, rinse & repeat. Simple as that.

The control surface BullGator describes is aileron

If you end up taking the test again, I'd recommend buying an introductory book on aerodynamics, especially if you plan on going aviation. Used copies are not very expensive and are simple enough for self-teaching.

BullGator

I bought and liked the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. It had 2 practice exams for each test-type (ASTB, AFOQT, MFAST). It also has good pre-exam study info for every section of the exams. I used the Barron's book with the Arco books to study, besides the gouge found here.

nugget61

pilot
Did you have to know the aeronautical stuff? I had a few Qs regarding runway/taxiway lighting and tower lights, but nothing that had to do with the planes themselves. I think I had test 3, but I'm not sure.

cram88

BDCP Supply
There was an aeronautical section, but it was not too indepth. What ailerons, etc. do was on there, as well as different parts of a ship. and I had form 3. I totally overestimated the difficulty of the test, as it wasn't too hard at all. Keep that in mind when you go to take it, anyone who reads this.

cram88

BDCP Supply
Tomorrow morning I meet with my recruiter, so wish me luck! He says 6+/6+/6+ 50 are competitive, what would you all say? 3.6 GPA, accounting major, applying for aviation, supply/logistics, and surface warfare. Previous DUI dropped to reckless driving as well. Hmm..

Poseidon

Astb, help please!

Dear Friends,

Are there classes administered by any Preparation organization such as Kaplan, or college classes that help you prepare for the ASTB?

Does anyone recommend taking some GRE preparatory classes that will help with the MATH and reading comprehension sections?

Finally, where can someone find more practice tests besides of what is available in this ?

I missed it the first time by one question and I realize that practice practice practice brings the perfection of a sharp shooter.

Your help is appreciated!

Poseidon

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
If only someone had asked before!

Seriously, the section you posted in had threads that deal with anything you should worrying about (which isn't really that much).

AC1 FlyAlot

There are plenty of ASTB resources at your local library. I have never heard of ASTB prep classes but who knows? Everything has it's own class now a day. To prep for the ASTB, I went to the base library and got 3 different study guides. I went through all the questions in all three books. I also went to Barnes & Noble and perused some of the newer versions of the study guides. The tests haven't changed in years so don't worry if you get a guide that's a couple of years old. Are you military? If you are, your command Navy College has access to a Navy Learning Center where, although they don't necessarily prep for the ASTB, they can help you out with the non-military stuff. Good luck!

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
This has been asked plenty, but at least you found the right forum to ask it on.

I made a study guide, which you can found here. Other than that, this website has all of the files you will need to look over. Their website has been spammed recently so you have to use the link I gave you to access the older version.

As far as I know, there are no classes regarding the ASTB. I have heard it is easier than the GRE (haven't taken the GRE personally), so if you don't need to take the GRE, I would say that is overkill. I recommend you buy the Military Flight Aptitude Test Guides made by both ARCO and Barrons. They can be found at your local Barnes and Nobles.

Search for anything else that I didn't mention, it can all be found somewhere on this website.

mattman215

Astb 11/24

I am taking the astb Monday and was just wondering if anyone had any tips or other study guides that i should use to help prepare myself. I have already use all the gouges on here and have the barrons book. Also how similiar is the test to the gouge or the practice tests in the Barrons book? thanks again

BullGator

I am taking the astb Monday and was just wondering if anyone had any tips or other study guides that i should use to help prepare myself. I have already use all the gouges on here and have the barrons book. Also how similiar is the test to the gouge or the practice tests in the Barrons book? thanks again
You'll be fine. Just focuss what you are having trouble on from here on out. Get a good nights sleep, eat a small meal before, go to the bathroom before, ect. And remember to breath :icon_wink. It isn't that bad and it feels mighty good when it's over and you can focuss on everything else more. Have fun and be confident.