• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Hi all, fairly new here, just took the ASTB today, form 3, got an 8/9/9/61, and I asked the administrator of the test if that was a good score or not, and he just started laughing and said "Yeah, that's a good f*ing score," which was a huge relief, since I've been stressing about it for weeks.
After I looked into how the test is scored, I started wondering if I should try again, in order to boost that OAR, since it's arguably the weakest part or has the most room for improvement. Is a 61 OAR sufficient for someone applying for a pilot slot? And any other advice on applying for said pilot slot is more than welcome

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hi all, fairly new here, just took the ASTB today, form 3, got an 8/9/9/61, and I asked the administrator of the test if that was a good score or not, and he just started laughing and said "Yeah, that's a good f*ing score," which was a huge relief, since I've been stressing about it for weeks.
After I looked into how the test is scored, I started wondering if I should try again, in order to boost that OAR, since it's arguably the weakest part or has the most room for improvement. Is a 61 OAR sufficient for someone applying for a pilot slot? And any other advice on applying for said pilot slot is more than welcome

On behalf of everybody who scored way lower than you and is still keeping their scores, including myself, please accept this punch in the face.

;) No, don't retake your test. That score is fantastic. I scored a 6/7/7/55 and I am still keeping it because I feel the rest of the package is competitive and the score is JUST at the brink of being worth keeping (in my and my recruiter's opinion). An 8/9/9/61 is great.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
On behalf of everybody who scored way lower than you and is still keeping their scores, including myself, please accept this punch in the face.

;) No, don't retake your test. That score is fantastic. I scored a 6/7/7/55 and I am still keeping it because I feel the rest of the package is competitive and the score is JUST at the brink of being worth keeping (in my and my recruiter's opinion). An 8/9/9/61 is great.

Definitely agree :cool:
Nice job.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to AirWarriors.com. If you take the time to actually read some of these things called threads on this site, I'm sure you will find your answer. The search engine is pretty handy. Did you read the post right above your post?

Do me and yourself a favor, take some time to poke around the board, read some threads, then, and only then, should you post a question.

-ea6bflyr ;)

been lurking a lot in this thread.... man these "i got ..../x/x/x/ xx is that a good score?" kill me.... instead of asking for an answer to a question you already know... try sharing what you remember from the ASTB....what you used to study.... what form you had....... blows my mind....

mab

I took the ASTB today and scored 6/7/5 53. I signed my PLC Air contract and swore in. Im up for the first selection board in October, and I can't wait! One step closer to my dream of flying supersonic!

P.S. I had form five, and all I used was the Marine gouge to study.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
@asheldon917 and SeaHawk2011: Thanks :D
@ea6bflyr: Sorry about that, now I'm feeling foolish considering I asked a question addressed in the post just above mine :oops: next time I have a question, I'll look around the forum to see if it's already been answered.
@John McClane: I'd be happy to post some advice on preparing for form 3, the one I took, although I don't know how specific I'm allowed to be. To start with, the Barron's study guide I bought, "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" was a good starting point (it includes two practice ASTB's), but there were some concepts addressed on the test that didn't appear in that text. There's quite a bit of vocab that I wasn't expecting, including aviation and nautical terms. Terms related to the carrier in particular tripped me up a bit. I spent the most time studying for that section, Aviation/Nautical, since as it explains in the book, that section deals mostly with knowledge I might not already have, whereas the other sections were reviews of math/physics/etc concepts I've learned in the past. Hope this helps!

Kcamp

SNFO OCS Class 17Feb13
Hey everyone! I'm taking the test in its entirety tomorrow morning. I've used a great variety of sources, both posted here and elsewhere. I'm feeling pretty good right now but who knows. I'll post again after the test. Thanks for all the help so far!

Kcamp

SNFO OCS Class 17Feb13
Scored an 8/8/9 63 on form 3. My recruiter said I should aim for 6's and 7's and a least a 50 so I'm very excited. Going for NFO, potentially SNA.

Here's what I used:
Marine Gouge - sample test, mechanical, spatial apperception sections
atrickpjay's gouge
Both ARCO books
Barron's Military Flight Officer Aptitude Tests
Barron's GRE Math Book
FAA Handbook
- also every single document posted on this thread from p. 1 to p. 47

I took about 5 weeks to study, putting the most work in the last two weeks.

Math: As far as advice goes, I would say get as comfortable with it as possible. It helps not just in the actual math section but also in the physics section. I felt very confident coming out of the math section. I think that really helped me maintain momentum throughout the test. I purchased a GRE math book and spent a week hunkered down with it.In addition to all the sections recommended for the ASTB in ARCO and Barron's, I did all the arithmetic reasoning/math knowledge sections for the AFOQT. In general, the problems are similar although some require more extensive math. Again, more practice is good. I took both Calc II and calculus based physics in college but I didn't want to take chances. Also, watch your units!

Reading Comprehension: Just read for this one. Read anything and everything. During the actual test, I got myself trying to apply outside knowledge several times. Just get into the habit of suppressing that urge in your practice tests.

Mechanical comprehension: Again, physics in college really helped me out. If I hadn't had it, I really think the Marine gouge would have been a great start. I did get hung up on a few concepts. I relied on YouTube to teach me a little bit about electricity, micrometers, and levers. You need to memorize the formulas or ratios that come up again and again in your practice problems.

Spatial apperception: I found ARCO's to be the most similar. Don't expect the pictures to be crystal clear as they are in Barron's. The Marine gouge suggests some great guidelines but if you can formulate your own checklist and it works, use it. Mine certainly differed but I felt great about the section.

Nautical/Aviation: I spent the most time studying for this. You HAVE to know the flight controls and what they do. Barron's was very good for that. I admittedly wish I had spent more time learning about weather and the goings on at an airport. I barely skimmed the FAA handbook. If you have a few weeks until your test break it down into sections and read it all.

Supplemental: Same as above.

Overall, what really helped me was note cards and repetition. Take the practice tests and then go over them. Get your timing done to where you have a few minutes left in each section. If you have free time, pick up an aircraft encyclopedia in a bookstore or library. The more time you spend with the material, the better you'll feel.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this thread!

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Great scores. I scored 9/9/9 67 OAR on form 3, and would just like to say make sure all you future ASTB testers take a look at how to take "cubed roots" of numbers (hint hint). Great overview though and congrats on your score. Thats a winner for sure.

Scored an 8/8/9 63 on form 3. My recruiter said I should aim for 6's and 7's and a least a 50 so I'm very excited. Going for NFO, potentially SNA.

Here's what I used:
Marine Gouge - sample test, mechanical, spatial apperception sections
atrickpjay's gouge
Both ARCO books
Barron's Military Flight Officer Aptitude Tests
Barron's GRE Math Book
FAA Handbook
- also every single document posted on this thread from p. 1 to p. 47

I took about 5 weeks to study, putting the most work in the last two weeks.

Math: As far as advice goes, I would say get as comfortable with it as possible. It helps not just in the actual math section but also in the physics section. I felt very confident coming out of the math section. I think that really helped me maintain momentum throughout the test. I purchased a GRE math book and spent a week hunkered down with it.In addition to all the sections recommended for the ASTB in ARCO and Barron's, I did all the arithmetic reasoning/math knowledge sections for the AFOQT. In general, the problems are similar although some require more extensive math. Again, more practice is good. I took both Calc II and calculus based physics in college but I didn't want to take chances. Also, watch your units!

Reading Comprehension: Just read for this one. Read anything and everything. During the actual test, I got myself trying to apply outside knowledge several times. Just get into the habit of suppressing that urge in your practice tests.

Mechanical comprehension: Again, physics in college really helped me out. If I hadn't had it, I really think the Marine gouge would have been a great start. I did get hung up on a few concepts. I relied on YouTube to teach me a little bit about electricity, micrometers, and levers. You need to memorize the formulas or ratios that come up again and again in your practice problems.

Spatial apperception: I found ARCO's to be the most similar. Don't expect the pictures to be crystal clear as they are in Barron's. The Marine gouge suggests some great guidelines but if you can formulate your own checklist and it works, use it. Mine certainly differed but I felt great about the section.

Nautical/Aviation: I spent the most time studying for this. You HAVE to know the flight controls and what they do. Barron's was very good for that. I admittedly wish I had spent more time learning about weather and the goings on at an airport. I barely skimmed the FAA handbook. If you have a few weeks until your test break it down into sections and read it all.

Supplemental: Same as above.

Overall, what really helped me was note cards and repetition. Take the practice tests and then go over them. Get your timing done to where you have a few minutes left in each section. If you have free time, pick up an aircraft encyclopedia in a bookstore or library. The more time you spend with the material, the better you'll feel.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this thread!

exNavyOffRec

Your recruiter should be a high school counselor, "hey kid, just go for C's, don't try for those A's and B's".

USAF_WX2USN

I am eternally grateful for everyone who took the time to post info, links, and their own personal study guides. Through hours of scouring this site, I made my own file that has all the practice tests and links I've come across for the OAR section. I hope this can help someone! Thanks again!

Attachments

• OAR STUDY INFORMATION.pdf
    171.9 KB · Views: 159

Daspyp

Took my second retest today and went up from a 5/6/5 48 on form 4 to a 7/7/6 61 on form 3. While not the best score I feel that this will give me a fighting chance when the boards come; going for NFO. For the people that are browsing these post for information, the links and tidbits these guys post ARE your best source of information. I'd like to thank everybody that took the time to make suggestions about the content on the test and/or posted study links/guides. So yea, thanks fella's you made my day.

- Now for my piece of advice for you guys that are studying... If you understand how to do all the problems here and the bricklayer/pizza maker type questions (hint* hint*) you will slaughter the math portion.

BleedGreen

pilot
Daspyp, thanks for the intel it goes a long way.

Does anyone who has been practicing with the Barron's and the ARCO practice tests feel that the Barron's is a littler easier, more specifically the math portion? (Either that or my studying is paying off)
Also, has anyone has already taken the test noticed if the ASTB leans more towards the ARCO or Barron's?
Regardless I am going to continue to study both, just more curious if anything.

nahemker1234

Took version 3 yesterday and got 8/9/8 63. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted information on here because it was very helpful. I used the Barron and Arco books as well as various things available on this website.

Links I found useful:

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=10190
This website has three different ways to prepare for the ASTB, one including a timed practice test with each section for you to test how your timing is.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/carriers/rainbow.asp
If you don't know the colors everyone wears on board the ship.

The two attachments are not my work but i found them very helpful.

and i found this earlier on this thread if i remember correctly so it is also not my work but I will share it

It takes 2 guys 45 min to make 6 pizzas, how long does it take 3 guys to make 12 pizzas? 60mins

6 guys can lay a stack of bricks in ten hours. Starting at 11 if 6 guys lay bricks and every hour after five one person is added what time would they finish the same stack of bricks? 2000hrs or 8oclock

know the difference between P-factor and gyroscopic precession.

What is density altitude?

Pushing off of a weighted block a certain distance in the water was on there....

"fluffy, delicate clouds at high alitude" are what kind of clouds?

Birthday of the navy?

Primary SAC nuclear bomber in 1950? (i remember seeing B-6, B-24, and B-29 as options)
*really?! SAC?! come on and I have read all about SAC around that time but why is that on THIS test?!*

What aircraft is suited for ground attack? (A-10 was my answer)

There were definitely a couple questions that discussed finding moments of arms with weights!

Bernouli's principle states that low velocity over a wing means?
(ok now this was tricky, because I wondered if they meant low velocity over as compared to the underside or just low velocity airflow period)
some choices that I remember were:
more lift
less lift
no lift
something else...i don't remember

What does a tail rotor do?

side of the ship is a green light on?

two airplanes head on yeild which way?

Voltage across 30 ohm at .25 amps?

If this valve and that valve are closed which tanks fill up according to the diagram?

At least 6 problems dealing with rearranging algebraic expressions:
if a= something and b equals something a equals what ever x/2 or something
also
simplify (n+3)/(n^2+3n)

I hope this helps

Attachments

• astb_study_sup.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • OAR STUDY INFORMATION.pdf
    171.9 KB · Views: 77