• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Just got my scores - 7/8/6 61
Took form 5. Thought I did a lot better than that. Oh well.

That isn't a bad score at all. I'd have preferred to do better with a 6/7/7 55 myself, but even that score my recruiter told me I should sit on.

BDfan88

That isn't a bad score at all. I'd have preferred to do better with a 6/7/7 55 myself, but even that score my recruiter told me I should sit on.
Its weird because I thought the test was pretty easy, finished every question and didnt feel like I missed a whole lot. Maybe the reading part screwed me.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Its weird because I thought the test was pretty easy, finished every question and didnt feel like I missed a whole lot. Maybe the reading part screwed me.

I felt the same way. I thought, "Hell yeah, I tore this thing up." Then the score was in 24pt font in front of my face and I thought, ".....really?" I'm not actually sure where most my errors were. I know I missed a few in mechanical and maybe a couple in math, but other than that, not sure. Spatial apperception was way harder for me than I thought (I was used to getting 30 out of 30 on every practice test). The great mystery. Problem now is, since I felt so confident, I don't know what to focus on improving should my package get rejected and I decide to take it again sometime.

BDfan88

I felt the same way. I thought, "Hell yeah, I tore this thing up." Then the score was in 24pt font in front of my face and I thought, ".....really?" I'm not actually sure where most my errors were. I know I missed a few in mechanical and maybe a couple in math, but other than that, not sure. Spatial apperception was way harder for me than I thought (I was used to getting 30 out of 30 on every practice test). The great mystery. Problem now is, since I felt so confident, I don't know what to focus on improving should my package get rejected and I decide to take it again sometime.
Yeah that's exactly how I feel. Walked out of the test feeling confident, but now I'm scratching my head lol.

Tommygunz55

Took the astb today and scored 8/9/9 58 ....the OAR is slightly lower than I'd like, but if I'm applying for Pilot/NFO does that matter much in light of my other scores?

JohnB

Alright, I know you all probably don't want to read another "will I make it?" question, but I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm applying for INTEL. I know that it is extremely competitive, and the available slots are pushed into FY 14 (Thanks NavyOffRec for that info). That being said, I feel like I have some good LOR's (two from former employers, one from a university professor, and one from a retired Navy Commander), I can write a good motivation statement, I have a completely clean background, I was President of the History Club at my college, can speak Italian, and my GPA is acceptable (although not stellar) at 3.38.

I took the OAR a few weeks ago, and scored a 61 on form 3. I am considering retaking it to improve my package, but I am worried that I could blow it and end up in an even worse situation. My OR is pushing me to retake, because he said the guys getting picked up for Intel score 60+, and I am just barely squeezing into that range.

So I have to ask anyone who has information about the recent INTEL boards, is my package competitive as it is, or would it be worth the risk to retake the OAR?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many times have you taken the test? If the answer is once, then I'd suggest that you study and re-take. Most people do better because they now know what to expect on the test. If you do worse on your second attempt, then you always have a third opportunity to take the test. I see it that you have nothing to lose.

-ea6bflyr ;)

exNavyOffRec

Alright, I know you all probably don't want to read another "will I make it?" question, but I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm applying for INTEL. I know that it is extremely competitive, and the available slots are pushed into FY 14 (Thanks NavyOffRec for that info). That being said, I feel like I have some good LOR's (two from former employers, one from a university professor, and one from a retired Navy Commander), I can write a good motivation statement, I have a completely clean background, I was President of the History Club at my college, can speak Italian, and my GPA is acceptable (although not stellar) at 3.38.

I took the OAR a few weeks ago, and scored a 61 on form 3. I am considering retaking it to improve my package, but I am worried that I could blow it and end up in an even worse situation. My OR is pushing me to retake, because he said the guys getting picked up for Intel score 60+, and I am just barely squeezing into that range.

So I have to ask anyone who has information about the recent INTEL boards, is my package competitive as it is, or would it be worth the risk to retake the OAR?

They are pushing people to FY14 they have enough people pro rec'd to fill FY13 and FY14, and if goals don't go up potentially FY15, they way over selected.

Any OR that has been in the business a while knows an OAR is a tiny piece of the puzzle, most people get in the 50's anything over 60 is very good. I am guessing your OR is looking at the competitive profile, the profiles that haven't changed in years as I don't think anyone ever updates them, I know for a fact some haven't been updated in 3 years.

If you want to be an officer look at SWO or Aviation otherwise you will be in for a long wait, FYI I have seen people with stats that blew away the competive profile for Intel and weren't selected, they just get so many people to pick from when they do have boards it is just insane.

JohnB

How many times have you taken the test? If the answer is once, then I'd suggest that you study and re-take. Most people do better because they now know what to expect on the test. If you do worse on your second attempt, then you always have a third opportunity to take the test. I see it that you have nothing to lose.

-ea6bflyr ;)

It was my first time, but my first score was pretty high to begin with. I worry that I could lose that score by doing worse on subsequent tests, so I'm hesitant to try unless I need to in order to get a slot.

They are pushing people to FY14 they have enough people pro rec'd to fill FY13 and FY14, and if goals don't go up potentially FY15, they way over selected.

Any OR that has been in the business a while knows an OAR is a tiny piece of the puzzle, most people get in the 50's anything over 60 is very good. I am guessing your OR is looking at the competitive profile, the profiles that haven't changed in years as I don't think anyone ever updates them, I know for a fact some haven't been updated in 3 years.

If you want to be an officer look at SWO or Aviation otherwise you will be in for a long wait, FYI I have seen people with stats that blew away the competive profile for Intel and weren't selected, they just get so many people to pick from when they do have boards it is just insane.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not exactly worried about the wait, as I won't be graduating until the Fall of 2013 anyway. Hell, if you told me I had a slot for Intel in FY 16 or 17 I'd be jumping for joy. That being said, if Intel is so clogged up with applicants and few positions to fill that it's simply inaccessible, I would consider SWO or Aviation. My only problem with Aviation is that my vision is not the greatest, so I'm not sure if I would qualify.

What I think I'm getting from you though, is that if a 61 on the OAR won't get me a spot in Intel, there's little point in worrying about trying to get it up a few points higher. Is that correct?

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO

Just my personal experience. I didn't score as well as I hoped when I took the ASTB. I was initially planning on retesting, but like you I was nervous about putting myself in a worse position. My recruiter encouraged me to put in a packet, and then if not selected I could retest before resubmitting. I don't know if you're in a position to consider that as an option.

exNavyOffRec

What I think I'm getting from you though, is that if a 61 on the OAR won't get me a spot in Intel, there's little point in worrying about trying to get it up a few points higher. Is that correct?

The OAR isn't what gets the spot with any board, it is the GPA, LOR's, pers. statement. If they came down to the point where 2 people were identical, then maybe the OAR would come into play but a guy with a OAR of 70 and say 2.6 GPA is not going to be better than a guy with OAR of 50 and GPA of 3.9

You do have time, they are still re-writing the PA so Intel will be looking at 60/40 split for tech to non tech degrees, this will favor the tech people as in the past the non tech guys are who you would see apply for Intel and SWO.

If you want to be an officer I would look at SWO and NFO if your eyes aren't that good.

FYI, Intel doesn't really care about foreign language, the Intel officers I know have never had an occassion where they needed to know it, and if there was a circumstance it would be a language that might be used around the middle east, just a thought.