• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Took the ASTB for the first time last week and got 7/6/8 OAR:61. I had a study book but I didn't spend that much time reviewing the aviation knowledge, which was the hardest section for me. I felt the reading comprehension and math were very easy and I probably got nearly all of them correct. Does the FOFAR score weight the reading/math more heavily and the PFAR weight the aviation stuff more? That would seem to make sense. I'm going to study the FAA handbook a lot and retake it in a month to get my PFAR score up.

The math, reading, mech comp all go to the OAR

ea6bflyr said:
I certainly hope that is not a page from the actual ASTB.

-ea6bflyr ;)

No, its in the Barrons book. According to the link and what I already know about pulleys, the mechanical advantage is 2...according to the correct answer in the book (15) the M.A. is 3??

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, its in the Barrons book. According to the link and what I already know about pulleys, the mechanical advantage is 2...according to the correct answer in the book (15) the M.A. is 3??

Clearly the Barron's answer key is wrong. The MA in this example is 2. MA = 2n (Where n equals to the number of movable pulleys). No MA is acheived from standing pulleys.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Clearly the Barron's answer key is wrong. The MA in this example is 2. MA = 2n (Where n equals to the number of movable pulleys). No MA is acheived from standing pulleys.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ok,hopefully that is the only wrong answer. I don't understand how they can print a book with such obvious mistakes

lax311

Does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1) What are the white fluffy clouds that are found at high altitudes?
2) Where does the pilot feel the most g-force? (picture of a plane doing an entire loop)
3) 6 guys can lay a stack of bricks in ten hours. Starting at 11 if 6 guys lay bricks and every hour after five one person is added what time would they finish the same stack of bricks?

MikeEcho

1. Cumulus (unless they are white fluffy *and* towering, then cumulonimbus)
2. Entrance/Exit of the loop
3. No clue... too lazy to figure it out.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
3) 6 guys can lay a stack of bricks in ten hours. Starting at 11 if 6 guys lay bricks and every hour after five one person is added what time would they finish the same stack of bricks?
I get 2000. No clue if this is correct. I assigned a per hour value of 1/60 per stacker. 6 guys in 10 hours = 1 guy in 60 hours = 1 guy at 1/60th a stack in 1 hour. If that basis is incorrect the rest of the answer fails. The original team (6 stackers) works for six hours. Therefore, 1/60 x 6 x 6 = 36/60 of the stack complete by 1700. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 7/60 to bring you to 43/60 at 1800. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 8/60 to bring you to 51/60 at 1900. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 9/60 to bring you to 60/60 at 2000.
This does not factor in alcohol consumption by the stackers.

I just took version 3, the bricklayer question showed up, i just guessed 7hrs idk?

A month ago I took version 4 and studied the Arco book, marine gouge, and atrickplays stuff. Studied OAR sections for 30 hrs and made a 46.

Today I took version 3 and made a 55. Im satisfied with the score, studied the same stuff and also the Barons book for about 30 hrs.

Work hard and it will pay off

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get 2000. No clue if this is correct. I assigned a per hour value of 1/60 per stacker. 6 guys in 10 hours = 1 guy in 60 hours = 1 guy at 1/60th a stack in 1 hour. If that basis is incorrect the rest of the answer fails. The original team (6 stackers) works for six hours. Therefore, 1/60 x 6 x 6 = 36/60 of the stack complete by 1700. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 7/60 to bring you to 43/60 at 1800. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 8/60 to bring you to 51/60 at 1900. You add a stacker for the next hour and complete 9/60 to bring you to 60/60 at 2000.
This does not factor in alcohol consumption by the stackers.

Nor does it take into account the quantity or quality of the alcohol consumed by the person doing the math.
-ea6bflyr ;)

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Nor does it take into account the quantity or quality of the alcohol consumed by the person doing the math.
-ea6bflyr ;)
Very true. Math is hard. Though I did re-read the question and realize the phrase "after five" could be interpreted as "after 5 o'clock" or "after five hours". I assumed the former. (Makes the math easier but works the other way as well.)

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None
taking into account the alcohol factor, they would finish around noon the next day. at 1700, the original 6 completed 36 of the 60 total man-hours required to do the job. when the 7th guy, who hasn't been laying bricks all afternoon, shows up, the original 6 realize it's happy hour, make #7 dd them to the nearest bar, get hammered, and finished the job the next morning. at about noon.