• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

sunowl

SNFO
6/7/6 56 (Form 5)

...thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and throughout AW!!

I used most of the usual suspects: choice chapters of the FAA handbook, Atrickpay's gouge, and the Arco practice tests. College major: Underwater Basket Weaving, B.S.

The only genuine surprise on the test: the Spacial problems featured a ton of cockpit views at more extreme angles, which were absent from the practice problems. Be prepared by playing lots of Microsoft Flight or something.

KSUwildcat13

That's a solid score. Not sure I would risk it, but to each his own.

I just put in for the April board with PRK. I didn't have to jump through any kind of crazy hoops to get a waiver. Never sent any special paperwork to NAMI or anything like that. I just included all of my pre-ops, surgical notes, and post-ops in my pre-commissioning physical packet that was sent out. Got my PQ, no questions asked. Ask your recruiter though, you might be in a different situation than I.

Thanks, I'm only a Sophomore right now so with the BDCP suspended I still have another whole year before I apply. I'm getting my consult after this semester for eye surgery and the picture is starting to get clearer. I don't think I'll retake unless I don't get selected.

I just took the ASTB for the first time today. I used ACRO, Barron's, Marine gouge, the personal study guide on this site, and read parts of the FAA handbook. I studied for a little over a week. My scores were 8/8/6 63. How much does the FORAR impact people who apply for pilot? I want to echo what dozens of other people have said, practice, practice, practice, and you should be fine.

GregGreek

Hey guys, I recently took the ASTB (found out it existed about week before taking the test) and received what I believe a not so hot score of AQR:5 PFAR:6 FOFAR:5 OAR:45. I have a GPA of 3.7 and some good references, from a Professor who was a Navy SW Captain, a HR manager from a government cleared facility, and possibly a Senator/Congressman (still working on it). My recruiter tried to only put in my application in for SWO, which would be my second choice behind applying for Pilot. Was wondering what your thoughts are on these scores and the basic info I provided in giving me a shot at the dream job of Navy Pilot? I spoke to my recruiter about taking the ASTB again, but apparently the packages must be in by the end of this month (May), for the July board, and 31 days from the first ASTB would be Literally the last day of this month/ the first day of next month (June). Recruiter says I wont be able to retake because of that reason.
Thanks guys.

D

Deleted member 31917

Took it yesterday for the first time (OAR: 65). Not applying for Pilot, so no aviation sections for me. I'm pretty sure I had form 5. There were like 2 conceptual questions on the Mechanical Comprehension portion that I had to guess on. One having to do with something that improves or modifies an electrical circuit somehow, and the other about something that makes up an engine cycle. I guess I won't be taking it again though. It seems the consensus is that it would be too hard and too risky to improve a 65. But my recruiter said he knows nothing about a format change to the ASTB, and said I could take the aviation portion separately if I did it within the next 6 months, even though I've been seeing people say within 30 days only. So who's right? Anyway, thank you to all who came up with the gouge on this site, it really helped a lot I think.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Took it yesterday for the first time (OAR: 65). Not applying for Pilot, so no aviation sections for me. I'm pretty sure I had form 5. There were like 2 conceptual questions on the Mechanical Comprehension portion that I had to guess on. One having to do with something that improves or modifies an electrical circuit somehow, and the other about something that makes up an engine cycle. I guess I won't be taking it again though. It seems the consensus is that it would be too hard and too risky to improve a 65. But my recruiter said he knows nothing about a format change to the ASTB, and said I could take the aviation portion separately if I did it within the next 6 months, even though I've been seeing people say within 30 days only. So who's right? Anyway, thank you to all who came up with the gouge on this site, it really helped a lot I think.

Do you not want to apply for any aviation jobs? If you don't take the aviation portion, it only closes options for you.

D

Deleted member 31917

Before I did. The only positions I've mentioned to my recruiter are SWO and the SWO options. The thing is, I'm only going to be here for two more weeks before I return to the Philippines for grad school. And when I had time to study for the ASTB, I felt like I didn't have enough time to study for the aviation portions. Also, I feel like I won't be able to finish grad school if I enter the Navy, but I would be able to finish it later on with being a SWO. If I were to become a Pilot or NFO, I wouldn't be able to do that since the commitment is too long. There's a policy that requires you to finish the degree in 8 years. So that factored in. Also, I don't know if I want to pay for the surgery when it's possible I wouldn't be picked up.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Hey guys, I recently took the ASTB (found out it existed about week before taking the test) and received what I believe a not so hot score of AQR:5 PFAR:6 FOFAR:5 OAR:45. I have a GPA of 3.7 and some good references, from a Professor who was a Navy SW Captain, a HR manager from a government cleared facility, and possibly a Senator/Congressman (still working on it). My recruiter tried to only put in my application in for SWO, which would be my second choice behind applying for Pilot. Was wondering what your thoughts are on these scores and the basic info I provided in giving me a shot at the dream job of Navy Pilot? I spoke to my recruiter about taking the ASTB again, but apparently the packages must be in by the end of this month (May), for the July board, and 31 days from the first ASTB would be Literally the last day of this month/ the first day of next month (June). Recruiter says I wont be able to retake because of that reason.
Thanks guys.
NavOffRec is a better source on your question, but in case he doesn't chime in I'll give you my $.02. GPA is obviously solid, but ASTB is on the low side from the average getting OCS nods (7/7/7). Apply with what you got and if it doesn't work out then retake for a higher score - after putting in some study time. FY13 is shaping up to be a decent aviation accession year.

exNavyOffRec

NavOffRec is a better source on your question, but in case he doesn't chime in I'll give you my $.02. GPA is obviously solid, but ASTB is on the low side from the average getting OCS nods (7/7/7). Apply with what you got and if it doesn't work out then retake for a higher score - after putting in some study time. FY13 is shaping up to be a decent aviation accession year.

I would have said the same thing.

IC3

Ok, first post! Took my ASTB for the first time while deployed the other day. I scored a 4/4/3/48. Obviously, I know this is not really a competitive score at all, especially with that substandard FOFAR score. I want to be an NFO, which I realize my scores don't qualify me for, but I am also attracted to the work being done in the SWO community.

I'm a surface rate in a carrier Air department, (Go Team Iflols!) so go figure. I'm hoping to take the test again on our way back to America, but I look forward to exploring the helpful gouge here.

exNavyOffRec

Ok, first post! Took my ASTB for the first time while deployed the other day. I scored a 4/4/3/48. Obviously, I know this is not really a competitive score at all, especially with that substandard FOFAR score. I want to be an NFO, which I realize my scores don't qualify me for, but I am also attracted to the work being done in the SWO community.

I'm a surface rate in a carrier Air department, (Go Team Iflols!) so go figure. I'm hoping to take the test again on our way back to America, but I look forward to exploring the helpful gouge here.

Aviation looks hard at ASTB SWO looks at GPA and what else you have done, for NFO get your score to at least 7, and given the numbers 8 would be better.

If the new ASTB rollout takes effect June 1st you will have to wait until stateside to take the exam, the new exam for aviation is computer based only.

lax311

Took the ASTB for the first time last week and got 7/6/8 OAR:61. I had a study book but I didn't spend that much time reviewing the aviation knowledge, which was the hardest section for me. I felt the reading comprehension and math were very easy and I probably got nearly all of them correct. Does the FOFAR score weight the reading/math more heavily and the PFAR weight the aviation stuff more? That would seem to make sense. I'm going to study the FAA handbook a lot and retake it in a month to get my PFAR score up.