• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Thanks to all that post on here. My question basically – “should I retake the ASTB before the July boards”. My recruiter said I have a solid competitive score, but after viewing a lot of 9’s, 8’s, and 60+ scores on here I’m a tad worried.

The gist is my recruiter said there is a way that I can retest as soon as my 30 day wait period is up and he might be able to get that score up to the board before they review my application (July Board). However he said he wouldn’t recommend it. I just wanted to get a little feedback from you guys and the NavyoffRec and see what you think I should do. I'm applying for a #1 SNA and #2 NFO

Not sure when you tested but trying to get the scores up after the deadline with the new system won't work, the old system yes.

I would also go with what you have, then retest.

Derm2544

Not sure when you tested but trying to get the scores up after the deadline with the new system won't work, the old system yes.

I would also go with what you have, then retest.

NavyOffRec,

I tested about two weeks ago. Going off of a previous post it looks like there might be 60-70 or so slots left for the 13 FY. I was curious if you had any insite on the ratio of "applicants to slots" for this board and if so what you feel is the min. score you would like to see a candidate have to be competitive for a pilot slot.

Again, I'm sure you get these question's all the time and seeing that my application is already in I should just wait and see, but any information would be appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

I tested about two weeks ago. Going off of a previous post it looks like there might be 60-70 or so slots left for the 13 FY. I was curious if you had any insite on the ratio of "applicants to slots" for this board and if so what you feel is the min. score you would like to see a candidate have to be competitive for a pilot slot.

Again, I'm sure you get these question's all the time and seeing that my application is already in I should just wait and see, but any information would be appreciated.

I would not take it again, what happens is in order to upload a new document the application must be sent back in CIRIMS, that screws up the process.

Hard to say on numbers, don't know about those that are still out there and who has been DQ'd or just declined.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
First post for me, though I have been lurking on these boards for about 6 months now. Took the ASTB for the first time this afternoon.

8/7/9 62

Studied using Atrickpay's study guide and the Marine practice tests. I would have liked to study more but my Navy recruiter wanted me to jump in for the July boards. Happy with my scores. I had form 4. Felt that the aviation and nautical sections were the hardest for me. Many of the aviation questions were very technical, dealing with instrumentation inside the cockpit, I have no flying experience. Mechanical and mathematical sections were very straightforward. The practice tests were more difficult for the most part. Really hoping to get in on these boards. I had PRK, May 14 so it would be a conditional acceptance, and I could get my physical a few months after finding out. Thanks to all the seasoned veterans who post on this thread because I read a lot of your posts and took a lot of your advice in my studying and while taking the test.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
8/8/9 - 66 (hope that helps my lower gpa: 2.8 engineering)
Great scores. Please post whether or not you get picked up on the July board. I should think you will, but if not then I think I may do some digging into the selection process to see what we are valuing. Best of luck.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
Great scores. Please post whether or not you get picked up on the July board. I should think you will, but if not then I think I may do some digging into the selection process to see what we are valuing. Best of luck.

Thanks, will do.

lmolitor

HI: I am applying for OCS, Intelligence program.I do not wish to be considered for the pilot training.Is it true that I can take only ORA portion of exam( math, mechanics and reading skills).
Thank you

exNavyOffRec

HI: I am applying for OCS, Intelligence program.I do not wish to be considered for the pilot training.Is it true that I can take only ORA portion of exam( math, mechanics and reading skills).
Thank you

That is true, you should however look at my post about the Status of OCS Programs, especially since you are looking at Intelligence programs.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you

That is true, you should however look at my post about the Status of OCS Programs, especially since you are looking at Intelligence programs.

lmolitor

Hi:
Thanks again.INTEL - goal of 7, 28 identified CLOSED. So it means only seven to be accepted ,and 28 (if they sign) will be pushed to the next year.Thus by taking second portion of the exam do I have more options? Can I take exam in two part, lets say one in the begging of July and second 3 weeks later.
Thank you

exNavyOffRec

Hi:
Thanks again.INTEL - goal of 7, 28 identified CLOSED. So it means only seven to be accepted ,and 28 (if they sign) will be pushed to the next year.Thus by taking second portion of the exam do I have more options? Can I take exam in two part, lets say one in the begging of July and second 3 weeks later.
Thank you

Yes, they will be pushed unless goal changes, but the result is they probably won't be selecting any INTEL of a long while, there were people in designators that were originally selected for FY11 and were pushed 2 FY's.

The second portion of the exam can open up Pilot and NFO for you if you have the scores.

You can merge the test, you can take the OAR then take the other later, however they are waiting on one signature to start the new exam, not sure if it will be possible with the new exam, and if you take the OAR, then the test changes you would have to take the entire exam over.

tazma61

NayOffRec,

I have a question that my OR has not been able to answer. On some of the descriptions for the INTEL officer test requirements, it states that I need a minimum of:
OAR -35
AQR - 3
PRT

The AQR score only comes from taking the whole ASTB, right?
I just want to make sure that I would not have to take the whole ASTB and just the OAR portion of test.

Thank you in advance for your answer.