• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'09 USNA Applicants

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You're right it's competitive, but less so now, at least in the sense it seems like most people who want Marines get it - of course the guys who suck at the PRT aren't getting it, but there doesn't seem to be anymore big surprises. They have increased the spots every year and they continue to project the Marine slots will increase. I'm Class of '10 and they think they will be taking about 300+ from my class - so just about a third of my class will be going Marines.

I should add as a caveat, to go Marines out of USNA as of now, it's almost necessary to attend Leatherneck or MAGTF after 2/C Year.

ricecold

pilot
The number they always threw around when I was there was 16.66666% of every class goes USMC. I graduated USNA '07 and they didn't have the numbers they were looking for after everyone put in their choices and began asking guys who put anything USMC second on their preference sheet to reconsider. I'm not sure if they fell short of the number or weren't thrilled with the pool of dudes to select. As far as I know, we were the only class that happened to. I'm pretty certain that on graduation day they fulfilled that 16.66666%.

PhillyPhinest

16.666 (repeating of course) was the number that was always quoted, but either in '05 or '06 they started taking more than 200. I remember going to leatherneck before firstie year ('07) and being told in a brief that 270 people were going to leatherneck and there were only 230 spots. They still had trouble filling those spots. I remember being very surprised at some of the people who picked up Marines; it seemed like no one was being turned away. I just wonder how they will entice so many more to go Marines.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Midshipman X gets selected for brigade commander in the spring of his 2/C for the following fall. Midshipman X also wants to select USMC out of USNA. Midshipman X decides to forgo leatherneck since he believes he is a shoe-in for Marines since he has good grades in academics and leadership, good class standing, really good PRT scores, and is the next semester's highest ranking mid. When asked by friends why he isn't going to leatherneck, he has no problem giving off the impression to a lot of people that he "doesn't need to" because his "resume and record speak for themselves." Members of the Marine selection board find out about this, look at his record, and have no problem passing him up. Midshipman X promptly reported to USS Fuck My Life right after graduation.

Moral of the story: Don't ever assume you're a sure thing to get something, never stop trying to reach that ultimate goal, and do all you can to get it. Oh, and it pays to shut the fuck up once in a while too.

ricecold

pilot
Well said wingsB4rings. It's always nice when a douche (especially him) ends up getting what they deserve in the end. I'm not one to smile on someone's misfortune (ok...sometimes I am) but people thinking they're the shit when its not really the case is really lame. Never assume that you have got it made until its made.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess that guy missed all the Academy Marines telling any Mid who'd listen that Leatherneck is your audition for the Corps? And if you want to be a Marine, you'd better go to Leatherneck and you better do well?

Fuckin' stripes go to their heads, man.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
I guess that guy missed all the Academy Marines telling any Mid who'd listen that Leatherneck is your audition for the Corps? And if you want to be a Marine, you'd better go to Leatherneck and you better do well?

Fuckin' stripes go to their heads, man.

Pretty much the truth. As a guy who did leatherneck then later decided not to do the marine thing, I can tell you it is basically your application for USMC, with a few exceptions.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Midshipman X gets selected for brigade commander in the spring of his 2/C for the following fall. Midshipman X also wants to select USMC out of USNA. Midshipman X decides to forgo leatherneck since he believes he is a shoe-in for Marines since he has good grades in academics and leadership, good class standing, really good PRT scores, and is the next semester's highest ranking mid. When asked by friends why he isn't going to leatherneck, he has no problem giving off the impression to a lot of people that he "doesn't need to" because his "resume and record speak for themselves." Members of the Marine selection board find out about this, look at his record, and have no problem passing him up. Midshipman X promptly reported to USS Fuck My Life right after graduation.

Moral of the story: Don't ever assume you're a sure thing to get something, never stop trying to reach that ultimate goal, and do all you can to get it. Oh, and it pays to shut the fuck up once in a while too.

I remember when this went down. It was awesome. Karma, baby.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, he wasn't even close to the worst BC we had when I was there, which says something about that selection process....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I thought at first you were just exaggerating and that was a tall tale about the BC not getting Marines. Awesome that it's true though.