• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'09 USNA Applicants

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^That sucks, man.

It is true that Summer Scaminar apps are a good screener for what the admissions board is looking for, but it's not the same as a full on Academy app. In some ways, the SS app process can be harder because of the # of slots and the kind of person who applies (typically forward-looking, 4.0 in HS types).

That said, they saw something lacking in your package. You've still got a good 7+ months to make your application look better, if you really want to be a boat-schooler.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about it, I got a nomination from a Senator and my Congressman without even being interested in the Academy at your age. Summer Seminar is not everything and if you go into this with a negative attitude, your results will also be negative.

Daisy

My son was appointed to class of 2013 but he's going somewhere else.

I can't figure out how applications to NA could rise so much in just one year. Is it a new method of counting viable applications?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
:( I got a thin letter in the mail saying I got rejected from summer seminar. Summer seminar...I thought it wasn't that difficult to get accepted into it. Even though it says 65% of the new midshipmen who were admitted never attended summer seminar, I feel like that was the pre-rejection letter to the academy. I know my represetatives and senators will ask if I attended the academy and I was hoping to say I attended summer seminar.

I got rejected from Summer Seminar but I still got one of those early appointment offers (can't remember the exact term). Don't lose hope.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My son was appointed to class of 2013 but he's going somewhere else.

I can't figure out how applications to NA could rise so much in just one year. Is it a new method of counting viable applications?

This.

The Administration has made a VERY VERY heavy push to recruit minorities to the Academy. They have even sent minority midshipmen out on long weekends (even giving them days off!), Spring Break and other times to recruit women and minorities to come here... looks like it's working. I also want to say we've had a lot more drag weekends than I recall in the past.

JTB7

The Administration has made a VERY VERY heavy push to recruit minorities to the Academy. They have even sent minority midshipmen out on long weekends (even giving them days off!), Spring Break and other times to recruit women and minorities to come here... looks like it's working. I also want to say we've had a lot more drag weekends than I recall in the past.

Now that I think about it, we had a "minority" midshipman come to our school. He said was 50% Hispanic but looked 100% white. Anyway, he said he took a few days off to recruit other midshipman but he didn't say he was recruiting just for minorities...

If your 12% Native American, does that count as a minority?

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Now that I think about it, we had a "minority" midshipman come to our school. He said was 50% Hispanic but looked 100% white. Anyway, he said he took a few days off to recruit other midshipman but he didn't say he was recruiting just for minorities...

If your 12% Native American, does that count as a minority?

I don't know the rules and I obviously can't comment on yours or anyone's particular case. I was merely just saying the Academy is creditnig its rise in numbers due to its minority recruiting and recruiting in places that the Academy typically hasn't had people before... which in many, if not most, are minority-dense areas (LA, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Harlem, South Texas, etc... all places I've seen friends sent to show off the Academy).

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Oh, and dude, don't worry about Summer Seminar. I got into Summer Seminar, attended, and I'm still good friends with my Squad Leader from Summer Seminar (who is about to tack on J.G) and I know for a fact that she ranked me number 1. Even still, I didn't get into the Academy my first shot - I had to do a Foundation Year. Sometimes you just have to work a little harder and push a little farther. And as you already stated... there are a ton of people who never attended summer seminar.

Besides, a Victory Lap of Senior Year wasn't all that bad. :) I kind of got a taste of what normal college life would be like at one of the Nation's Premier Prep Schools and made some decent connections.

JTB7

Oh, and dude, don't worry about Summer Seminar. I got into Summer Seminar, attended, and I'm still good friends with my Squad Leader from Summer Seminar (who is about to tack on J.G) and I know for a fact that she ranked me number 1. Even still, I didn't get into the Academy my first shot - I had to do a Foundation Year. Sometimes you just have to work a little harder and push a little farther. And as you already stated... there are a ton of people who never attended summer seminar.

Besides, a Victory Lap of Senior Year wasn't all that bad. :) I kind of got a taste of what normal college life would be like at one of the Nation's Premier Prep Schools and made some decent connections.

You got into summer seminar and didnt make it your first shot in the academy?! Oh man I'm screwed....

I think if I get accepted into foundation I will just go to NROTC(scholarship or not) at another school--I just want to become a Marine Officer as early as I can.

klamsy

Monday monkey lives for the weekend, sir.
pilot
Contributor
JT, neither me nor my roommate got summer seminar and both made it into the Academy first try. Every case is a little different, I wouldn't worry too hard about it.

Kyoowashugi

You got into summer seminar and didnt make it your first shot in the academy?! Oh man I'm screwed....

I got into summer seminar and got flatly rejected from the Academy. There's nothing wrong with NROTC, just that little matter of OCS instead of a ticket straight to TBS. On the other hand, there's no possibility you'll end up a SWO instead of a Marine.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't everyone who asks for it get USMC out of USNA?

No. From what I have heard and read Marine slots have gotten increasingly competitive in the past few years and there are always more middies who want them than they have slots.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. From what I have heard and read Marine slots have gotten increasingly competitive in the past few years and there are always more middies who want them than they have slots.

True. I wasn't USNA, but I've met a bunch of people down here from USNA that wanted Marine pilot (or even Marine ground) and got Navy pilot.