• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'09 USNA Applicants

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well it is almost over. Pretty soon everyone who applied for the USNA will have heard their fate. This year saw record applications. There were over 15,000 applications so competition was stiffer then usual. If you got selected, congrats. If you were not selected for the Class of 2013 or NAPS, my best to you, don't give up. You can apply again, go NROTC, or BDCP/OCS. If you want to be a Navy Officer there is a way and you will continue to find plenty of help on Air Warriors.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Applications have apparently surged this year to get into the USNA:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/15/AR2009041503437.html

WOW! USAFA had only 9800 applicants. The USAFA has a reputation as being the easiest military academy program with the promise of a fighter pilot cockpit for every graduate, and yet they draw the smallest number of apps. Since the new Supe came on board at USNA things have tightened up a lot. There may be less free time and more hassle at USNA then any of the other academy, certainly USAFA, yet Navy has the highest number of apps. I find that very interesting. It can't be just because I am such a great Blue and Gold Officer. ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It's not exactly an even comparison. According to the chart's note, USAFA's numbers are from March 9th whereas USNA and USMA are from earlier this week. I doubt that the month+ would make up 2-4K in applicants, but the gap might not be that big.

Lobster

If you were not selected for the Class of 2013 or NAPS, my best to you, don't give up. You can apply again, go NROTC, or BDCP/OCS. If you want to be a Navy Officer there is a way and you will continue to find plenty of help on Air Warriors.

Wink is right and I'm living proof of this, didn't get into the academy (twice), didn't get into NROTC, but I still got into a sick school and I'm in BDCP...:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not exactly an even comparison. According to the chart's note, USAFA's numbers are from March 9th whereas USNA and USMA are from earlier this week. I doubt that the month+ would make up 2-4K in applicants, but the gap might not be that big.

As I recall (I guess I should know :eek: ) all academy apps were due by March 15th. I don't expect the gap would have narrowed much at all. In addition, the article Flash provided states the USAFA usually has fewer apps.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Since the new Supe came on board at USNA things have tightened up a lot. There may be less free time and more hassle at USNA then any of the other academy...

So we're on that side of the Federal Prison - Camp Tecumseh pendulum swing, huh? That was always fun. I was there during the "tighten the screws" phase when this fun-lovin' guy was 'Dant...had more liberty as a Youngster than as a Firstie.

Oh, well. Guess it built character. :icon_tong

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^ Jah, I had more weekends/overnights as a Plebe than I did as a Firstie, during the Grandpa Rempt/ CAPT Klein years.

We also had mando morning PT firstie year.:eek:

Little did we know it'd be good training for the FRS. . .:icon_rage

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I received my thin-letter in the mail(for the second time :icon_rage) on Monday . If there are any questions that people would like to ask about from an applicants point of view I'd be happy to answer.

Wink would probably be a better resource; he even answered my questions last year, but obviously not well enough :icon_tong

Oh well, it's on to PLC for me.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
My "thin letter" said I had been accepted and they would be sending all the indoc paperwork in March/April. Externally, it looked just like all the "your application is incomplete" notifications they had sent previously, and that's what I had figured it was.

Only school I applied to that did it that way. I wonder if it still works like that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I received my thin-letter in the mail(for the second time :icon_rage) on Monday . If there are any questions that people would like to ask about from an applicants point of view I'd be happy to answer.

Wink would probably be a better resource; he even answered my questions last year, but obviously not well enough :icon_tong

Oh well, it's on to PLC for me.
Sorry to here it didn't work out. One of my guys from last year reapplied from college as a non scholarship NROTC mid, and got rejected.
It has been a tough year.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I guess it all depends on how badly you want it. I got THREE thin letters, before I got the thick package.

I am impressed with your dedication. Maybe they know something about me that I don't and were right to turn me away. I am proof that it is not all about academics or how many nominations that you have(4.0 GPA at a good college, 3 nominations). But, I am going to track down the other guy who got an appointment at my school and compare notes. Regardless, I am just happy that I can stop waiting and move forward with my life.

Congratulations aviator70, you've been handed an amazing opportunity to be immersed in a Navy environment and learn how to be an officer for four years before you get commissioned. Don't blow it :icon_wink