• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

09 May 2021 OCS

Mode

Have any of you received FINSEL docs or sworn in yet? Haven't heard from my recruiter since a few weeks ago when I was informed I would be in this class.

Terminader

Have any of you received FINSEL docs or sworn in yet? Haven't heard from my recruiter since a few weeks ago when I was informed I would be in this class.
The last update I got was that my security investigation was being scheduled and my FINSEL letter would be requested once that happened, but that was a month ago. I texted my recruiter yesterday and he said they're still waiting on the letter but that I'm still in the system for May 9th. Seems to me that it's a crapshoot trying to figure out exactly when the FINSEL will arrive.

Mode

The last update I got was that my security investigation was being scheduled and my FINSEL letter would be requested once that happened, but that was a month ago. I texted my recruiter yesterday and he said they're still waiting on the letter but that I'm still in the system for May 9th. Seems to me that it's a crapshoot trying to figure out exactly when the FINSEL will arrive.
Gotcha, thanks for the response. I guess I'm not the only one. ? I'll try reaching out to my recruiter in the morning for an update.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor

My recruiter told me FINSEL ppw and swearing in doesn’t happen until about 3 weeks from your departure date. He states he wish he could have it sooner but everything is on the OCS admin. Why do they take so long? He said he wish he knew.. doesn’t make any sense why orders should take that long since candidates have to get their stuff in order, like breaking their lease, letter for their employer and whatnot done.

Rhino_Mech

ProRec-Y SNFO 2/4/21
Is the Navy Lodge for sure where we're gonna be staying for ROM? And I was assuming that if they want us to all stay at a specific location for ROM, they would already have spots reserved for us. I haven't gotten my FINSEL letter yet though so I honestly have no clue about the logistical information.

And same, my running also needs improvement. I'm hoping that since I've been training on a hilly road that my run time will be much better on a flat track. It's the final 0.5 miles that gets me because its initially uphill in my case!

Haven't been on here in a while so I might have missed a lot on the main board thread...

Just texted my recruiter and he said the official message is out but he hasn't heard anything about the finsel letters. Also everything I've read on the OCS page, including the letter from the director of OCS, states that candidates are responsible for their own transportation from the airport (if flying in) to base and for lodging PRIOR to checking in on check-in Sunday at 0900. For us in this COVID time we will start ROM upon check in. I asked my recruiter and he said that was correct. So it seems we should only be paying for lodging out of pocket one or 2 nights depending on when we arrive.

Rhino_Mech

ProRec-Y SNFO 2/4/21
Hey guy, are any of you driving to Newport? If yes, where are you driving from? I'm in California and I contemplated driving cross country just so I have my vehicle out there already, but my recruiter keeps telling me that the trip would not be reimbursable if I choose to drive. Just curious on what others in our class are doing

FXDF-17

ProRec-Y CEC
Hi Rhino, I’m driving out to Newport, from Houston, TX; been told the same- no mileage or lodging reimbursements- kept asking.. kept asking... and was told “ considering the variables on the road; so in an effort to discourage candidates from taking a long road trip to Newport, they’re not paying a penny for it,” that way; they are encouraging candidate like you and me to take the paid flight.
Still, I have my reason to drive up there
, and so I’m driving ... will be saving all hotels and gas receipts, just in case they change their minds about it
But man, where in California south or north?

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
Hey guy, are any of you driving to Newport? If yes, where are you driving from? I'm in California and I contemplated driving cross country just so I have my vehicle out there already, but my recruiter keeps telling me that the trip would not be reimbursable if I choose to drive. Just curious on what others in our class are doing

Are you in LA? Can I hitch a ride? xD jk!

I opted not to drive and just have my car shipped to me when I'm in PCola. My reasoning was because 1) I wouldn't have access to my car anyway 2) My car would have to be turned on to prevent the car battery from dying 3) The trip across the US is a checkmark on my bucket list but from LA to Rhode Island and then to Florida in a 2013 Ford Focus is.. uhh yeah I'm not sure where I'll be stranded. 4) Things that I will have shipped to me in Florida, at least from what I have been told, is tax deductible.

Since we have to report in at 0900 on April 24th, I may just show up a few days earlier and check out the city and maybe Boston. I've heard good things about RI's pizza so I may try that.. enjoy the scenary one more time or something before coming in.

Has anyone given a letter of resignation to their employer yet?

FXDF-17

ProRec-Y CEC
excited to be slotted for this class- weather should be good ?- looking forward to meet you all.\

FINSEL: like many of you on here, I was told swearing in is coupled with FINSEL release and it will not happen until the first week of April.

Lodging and Transportation :- I was told by my recruiter that for us here in Texas- if we drive to Newport there will be no reimbursement for mileage or lodging. what they can do for us is flight ticket and lodging arrangement prior to checking in for ROM- which will be paid for and we do not need to pay the 14 nights ROM hotel expenses. however- however and as I said in my reply to Rhino - I will be driving .

ROM:- will be grouped in 2s for rooms and every 2-4 room will share a bathroom/shower- will be allowed up to 1 hour (Yard Time) to exercise, twice a day.

PRT:- like some of you here, I am having a a hard time attaining the 3-mile run and it seems I am losing power ? around the 2 mile mark- since I am not a runner ( I am a sprinter) so I scoured google looking for answers, the only thing that kept coming up was "Breathing" proper, synchronized breathing took me an extra half a mile this morning which was an accomplishment and a personal best; this is the article o have started with:
https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-breathe-running/
I am an average runner with about 170-180 - my target is to get to 190-200.

The Rest of PRT:- I stopped all weights training and doing only Calisthenics, Supersets for 60-70 minutes every-other day. pretty confident about form, but I'll welcome some feedback during ROM= and I believe we should do that for each other once we are there.

OCS information/Preparation : Julian did a great job sharing everything need to know- although i started with Bravo before he posted the latest and now both the anchor away and the marine hymn stuck on repeat in my head. only one thing thou.... i want to share my favorite AMA threads from Reddit :-

Recent OCS Grad: AMA

Just Graduated from Navy OCS AMA

both emphasized on getting to know your class well before checking in Sunday-

again I am so excited that I have been Selected- cant wait to swear in and be there to meet you all.

FXDF-17

ProRec-Y CEC

I opted not to drive and just have my car shipped to me when I'm in PCola. My reasoning was because 1) I wouldn't have access to my car anyway 2) My car would have to be turned on to prevent the car battery from dying 3) The trip across the US is a checkmark on my bucket list but from LA to Rhode Island and then to Florida in a 2013 Ford Focus is.. uhh yeah I'm not sure where I'll be stranded. 4) Things that I will have shipped to me in Florida, at least from what I have been told, is tax deductible.

Since we have to report in at 0900 on April 24th, I may just show up a few days earlier and check out the city and maybe Boston. I've heard good things about RI's pizza so I may try that.. enjoy the scenary one more time or something before coming in.

well, now you say that, and I am having second thoughts … after OCS, I have to report to CECOS all they way in Port Hueneme, CA and there is a possibility that I get stashed somewhere in-between since CECOS courses for ensigns offered twice a year July and March... so if for any reason I cant make the July class I might get stashed at the shipyard in Newport or OHARP back in Houston. arriving early and spending some time in Boston thou....dang is tempting; the stress of driving vs. relaxing and taking it easy Boston is beautiful we might catch a ball game while there.

I am holding on the notice to my employer till I : swear in, signed a contract, have the FINSEL in my hand... do they know what I am up to?; Yes, thank to the special investigator, am I preparing to leave- yes i have established couple team leader that will take care of things if I leave without a sufficient notice.

SBeaty

I’m planning on doing the same with my car. I don’t even want to have to think about my car until leaving RI.
Is it really 0900 on the 24th? I guess I should switch my flight then.

SBeaty

excited to be slotted for this class- weather should be good ?- looking forward to meet you all.\

FINSEL: like many of you on here, I was told swearing in is coupled with FINSEL release and it will not happen until the first week of April.

Lodging and Transportation :- I was told by my recruiter that for us here in Texas- if we drive to Newport there will be no reimbursement for mileage or lodging. what they can do for us is flight ticket and lodging arrangement prior to checking in for ROM- which will be paid for and we do not need to pay the 14 nights ROM hotel expenses. however- however and as I said in my reply to Rhino - I will be driving .

ROM:- will be grouped in 2s for rooms and every 2-4 room will share a bathroom/shower- will be allowed up to 1 hour (Yard Time) to exercise, twice a day.

PRT:- like some of you here, I am having a a hard time attaining the 3-mile run and it seems I am losing power ? around the 2 mile mark- since I am not a runner ( I am a sprinter) so I scoured google looking for answers, the only thing that kept coming up was "Breathing" proper, synchronized breathing took me an extra half a mile this morning which was an accomplishment and a personal best; this is the article o have started with:
https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-breathe-running/
I am an average runner with about 170-180 - my target is to get to 190-200.

The Rest of PRT:- I stopped all weights training and doing only Calisthenics, Supersets for 60-70 minutes every-other day. pretty confident about form, but I'll welcome some feedback during ROM= and I believe we should do that for each other once we are there.

OCS information/Preparation : Julian did a great job sharing everything need to know- although i started with Bravo before he posted the latest and now both the anchor away and the marine hymn stuck on repeat in my head. only one thing thou.... i want to share my favorite AMA threads from Reddit :-

Recent OCS Grad: AMA

Just Graduated from Navy OCS AMA

both emphasized on getting to know your class well before checking in Sunday-

again I am so excited that I have been Selected- cant wait to swear in and be there to meet you all.
Hoping there will be more information regarding flights and lodging soon. I already made the reservation there and need to know ASAP if I have to cancel or if the navy will handle everything.

FreshyyP

I'm not in this class i'm in April Class, but I'm planning on driving to Newport. I stay in Philly though so it's a 4.5hr drive.