• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

05 Feb 05 start date

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakrie57

dakrie57
Hey guys, sounds like everybody right now is far on track, I would be up for meating yall prior to also. I will be in pcola at least a couple of weeks prior too, taking use of their fym everyday. Dec 10 seems to be a popular day, thats my give up the job date also. I will be heading to texas, arizona and california before drifting bak down. dakri57@yahoo.com keep me posted if yall do meet.

I maxed out my last prt on pushups and situps but still would like to tone down the run time a tad bit. Running distance does nothing for speed. Got the ranks structure down, and got a copy of the regulations, so have been rading up on that, everything else is good to go. I am ready to get going.

Azskegee04

Hey Jbgood, Im a native of DC, I am just stationed in Va, so I travel home alot, I just hope my car makes it down to P Cola lol. I purchased my car last year and I have 80k on it. What are you doing in DC?

jbgood00

Ikewarrior,

I live/work in DC "proper." Until Dec 10, I work at a global PR firm doing public opinion research. My focus is mostly on litigation/crisis communications, but we also do a lot of work on corporate governance/reputation. Of course that's just the fancy way of saying I sit behind a desk playing with statistics and make bad companies look good. It's actually a lot of fun in a way.

I just ask though b/c I have a few friends in the area working for part of the alphabet soup/Pentagon.

As for getting to P'Cola, I can always tow you if you breakdown... :eek: I just dropped a little too much on a new Supercharged Xterra with all the fixins. I'm actually planning on testing the GPS on my way down to P'Cola. Yeah, the paycut is going to make those monthly payments a little more painful!!!!

Sabre170

None
jbgood said:
Of course with all that said, I didn't really have much to memorize since the general orders are the same for the Marines except a few words.

JBGOOD,

Are you a prior service Marine too?

jbgood00

Yup... as anyone who saw me the morning of Nov. 11 can attest. I'll actually also planning a "pilgrimmage" to Tun Tavern on my way through Philly enroute to P'Cola.

You're not in our class though are you?

Sabre170

None
jbgood said:
Yup... as anyone who saw me the morning of Nov. 11 can attest. I'll actually also planning a "pilgrimmage" to Tun Tavern on my way through Philly enroute to P'Cola.

You're not in our class though are you?

No I am in the Jan 22, 05 class. A prior service Marine Sergeant (6 years). That O1E pay will be worth it. :icon_tong

What was your MOS? I was an 0151 and worked in logistics as well.

jbgood00

Same here...E-5, 94-98, MCAS Iwakuni, Japan...95-98. I was deployed for more than half of my time..about 18 months with the grunts.

I was actually a 4341 (Combat Correspondent). My gunny actually worked for the real "Joker" back in the day. The gunny was also in some of our books back when he was a Sgt. SALTY is the only word for a man with 3 combat action ribbons on his chest... just for starters.

So it definitely sounds like you'll be there when we are. Hell, we'll be your "heat shield" after 2 weeks. What program are you selected for?

Azskegee04

Great I think my best friend is smiling in heaven. He was an Grunt, Him and I would get up and run in the mornings during my college years. A part of me wishes the opportunity to have served in the USMC. So what did you guys think of USMC , in terms of organization, dislikes and likes?

Sabre170

None
jb good,
I am selected for NFO. I would have like to meet Salty. I listen to an MP3 of Gunny Hartman welcome the recruits to Recruit Training (5 min) from Full Metal Jacket almost dayly in my workouts. I can't wait for OCS. this time, I will be in better shape and the DIs will not scare me like they did when I was 19 years old and homesick at MCRD San Diego. I find myself marching around, calling cadence and going over my drill... oh the memories.

Ike, The Marine Corps was the one of the best things I ever did (besides my faith in Jesus, my marriage, and the birth of my two kids.. oh and take my first skydive)... The Marine Corps took a undisciplined kid and turned me into a Marine, and eventually a Sergeant of Marines. I have my NCO Sword and will always be a Marine. Even though I am going to be a Naval Officer and future NFO, I will always be a rifleman first. November 10th will always have a special place in my life, and I will always feel for a fallen Marine. It is something that can not be discribed. You have to earn the title to understand the Brotherhood. My only regret is that I went in before the Crucible.
Semper Fi.

moak01

Guys,
Sounds like i am behind the curve on the memorization part. Hope you all have a happy Turkeyday.

Dinner and a beer sounds good in FEB for me. Moose's or Sammy's someone make the call!

Moak01

jbgood00

Ike,

I have to go with Sabre... the Marine Corps is probably one of, if not the most, important things I've done. Without going into my life story, let's just say it turned me around in SO many ways. As for "pros/cons" I don't know. Obviously quite realitive, but in the end I think it's similar to the Navy in many of the more important ways.... tradition, honor, duty, etc. When I was deciding on getting a commision it was the Navy or Marine Corps... NEVER considered the other two. No offense to anyone, I'm sure they're good...but not for me.

Like Sabre said, my heart will always be with the Marine Corps in many ways, but at the same time I'm sure the Navy will play just as important a part/role in my life. In the end, it's just two different chapters in my life... both are important... just the Navy is more appropriate for what I want at this stage in life. I'm sure it's similiar to the civilian world everyone else is giving up to head to P'cola.

I'm sure your friend would just as proud of your becoming a Navy officer...hell, you could of had him salute you... lol

barry04

as far as pre-indoc festivities go, i have a credible source that says seville square is the place to be - lots of younger women on the prowl, looking for something straight out of an officer and a gentleman (which leads me to look for a hotel with a pool).

as far as the memorization goes, one thing i learned while pledging my frat is it doesn't matter if you know something or not, it only matters if you can spit it out as fast as possible while making zero errors, in front of a ton of people while someone is yelling in your ear to get it right or not screw it up. i know my pledging experience is a plus, but for the guys who have already been through boot camp, it might be a good idea to share some tips with the rest of us. the first month or so will be alot easier if we know what's coming. just a thought.

jbgood00

I have to second Barry04...at least on the Seville part...I've heard similar things about the bars. As for the officer and gentlemen part... just remember the guy who killed himself b/c he thought he got a gate groupie pregnant!!! Also, one thing I learned from years in the bar business... if she is going home with you the first night you meet... she's done it before... so "wrap the rascal." Ghona-Syphil-Herpe-Aids is not a good thing!!! With that said, I'm sure it will be fun.

I don't know if the 2 bars Moak mentioned are in Seville, but that's cool with me. As long as there is Jack Daniels... I'm a happy man.

On the other side of Barry04's comment...he brings up a good point. Reciting something is different than being able to simply write it down from memory. No real words of wisdom from my end, but I'm actually practicing saying them out loud. Also, keep in mind, if they want you to mess up... they'll keep asking you new stuff until you do. You could go down there knowing everything and they'll still find a way to get you if they want/need to. It's all part of the process.

As for what to expect, I don't think any of us know since none of us have been through OCS. I can tell you Marine DIs and I'm sure the chiefs, want INTENSITY 100% of the time. Just scream everything back at them and master the 1000 yard stare. The DIs can say some crazy stuff just to check your bearing.

Otherwise, I'd just say never lose sight of what you're after and keep in mind it's only 13 weeks. The fleet is MUCH different, particularly as an officer.

My 2 cents....

Azskegee04

One time at boot camp in Great Lakes during a personnel inspection, The Chief inspecting us put the guy across from me ball cap on in a very funny way. So I am standing there with me 1000 yrd stare with a grin, because the way the ballcap was on this guy's head during a military inspection was funny. Along those lines, If you are a person who can hold it in, then laugh about it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.