• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

05 Feb 05 start date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad to see you new guys. Has anyone started working on the NKO classes yet?

jbgood00

ben,

I've completed all 4... been selected for a while so had some time. The history is a beast... 8 sections and then you have do a "final" test. I heard you don't have to do the reviews at the end of each chapter, but not sure.

My advice is to print off each of the study guides for each chapter in history since the questions at the end basically make up the "final" test. Otherwise it's tough to remember the first couple of chapters and who did what first, etc.

I've also been able to complete some of the other courses on NKO. Some of the courses are actually pretty interesting. I did a few of the Intel courses.

Hope that info proves useful....

dakrie57

dakrie57
Yah, that history is a beast. There are several good aviation related courses on there also. Recommend checking out these for those selected for NFO or SNA

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where can I find the courses? I don't know my way around the site at all... What am I required to take and what is optional? Thanks guys.

jbgood00

Here's what I got in my acceptance letter...

"First, log onto Navy Knowledge online at https://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/. Then, select the “Education” link in the left column and the “Navy E-Learning” link from the drop down menu. From here, select the browse categories under the content bar on the left. Now select the “US Navy Courses” link. This will take you to a listing of courses. Select the “Officer Candidate School” link. This link will direct you to the required courses."

There should be 4 courses: Etiquette, History, Military training and Physical standards.

Hope that helps....

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks... I was accepted long enough ago that my letter didn't say that. That info is just what I needed.

Azskegee04

Hey Guys,
I will be also be there also in Feb. I am currently on Active duty onboard a CVN. I look forward to 13 weeks of fun with all of you guys. I will be a AMDO, I cant wait to start the next challenging chapter of my life. Good Luck to each one of you.

jbgood00

hey Ike,

Welcome aboard. Looks like we're slowly "appearing" from the woodwork. Seems like a lot of active and priors too... should be helpful.

There is also a thread over at USNavyOCS.com for our class. That sight seems to have been having problems the last day or two though.

Ironnads

This is Travis from Texas. I am working on my MBA at Angelo State University. I will be SNA. I started OCS in 2002 as SNA and was sent back due to a vision problem. I had PRK and it's been a long road back. We all need to meet up for dinner on Saturday night before class starts. You are all in for a lot of fun!!! You can contact me at 972-467-1796 or Travis.Alexander@comcast.net

jbgood00

Ironnads...

Welcome BACK aboard. How far did you get before they NPQd you? That's a B!#&, but at least you're getting a second chance. Clearly something you want.

I'm definitely cool with dinner and maybe even a drink or 10. I'm actually planning on driving down a little ahead of time. I'm done working in DC on Dec 10 and then I'm going to just relax back in CT for about 6 weeks until the fun begins. Might hit Europe, Vegas and a couple of other places while I still can. Then just take the scenic route to P'Cola.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How are you guys doing on PT and memorization?

jbgood00

Ben,

As for the memorization... I think I'm doing pretty good. I have the general orders down, most of the Code of Conduct and chain of command. The rank structure I know, but I didn't memorize the descriptions verbatim. I don't know if we need to know the descriptions so much as simply being able to say, "Hey, that's a commander, that's a LT JG." etc. If anyone knows for sure either way, please elighten me. Ironnads may actually know this since he started...

Of course with all that said, I didn't really have much to memorize since the general orders are the same for the Marines except a few words. The code of conduct is identical and the chain of command is fairly straightforward if you're already familiar with the military. And the ranks, well, that is identical too.

As for PT, I do pushups/situps pretty much daily and I'm not too worried about that... I'm hoping to max or at least come close on these two during our In-PRT. As for the run, I'm up to about 3-4 times a week around 3 miles at a decent pace. I'm taking it slow since I have to run on concrete in DC... don't want to mess up my shins. My goal is 5 miles comfortably and 3 miles quickly by the time I get there.

Ironnads... you're on for the drinks. Like I said, I'm planning on being down there a little early. I basically have nothing to do between Dec 10 and Feb 5 except memorize and PT. Still debating whether I should go to Vegas, New Orleans, Europe or Stockcar racing school... or a couple of the above just to keep busy. Either way, I'm taking the scenic route to P'Cola.

I wonder how everyone else is doing???

Azskegee04

Well the general orders are not a problem I stand armed sentry watches and every duty day and we are tested on that and deadly force. As for the PT I am basically following the SEALs PT program. I was working out for BUDs before I learned of my OCS selection. The only thing is Ive taking some time off from running due to ship schedule etc. I hope that doesnt catch up on me

Status
Not open for further replies.