• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

amclouth

That would definitely be cool. It isn’t my first choice personally, but it would be awesome. Plus, I know someone who works at the Pacific missile range on Kauai, and some helo pilot has the tough life of living in paradise and periodically flying out to retrieve test rounds...
The helo pilots at PMRF on Kauai are civilians, and the only Navy helo squadron in Hawaii is HSM-37. If you’re interested in SAR, either -60 is a good option. I’m biased toward the R mission, but if you’re a -60 pilot, there is always a chance of going station SAR for shore duty.

oadams2

The helo pilots at PMRF on Kauai are civilians, and the only Navy helo squadron in Hawaii is HSM-37. If you’re interested in SAR, either -60 is a good option. I’m biased toward the R mission, but if you’re a -60 pilot, there is always a chance of going station SAR for shore duty.
No way, I didn’t know that — I just assumed they were Navy. Thanks for the clarification.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really looked too hard at where helo pilots get stationed. I assumed any place the Navy goes (and any vessel large enough) has rotary needs, which means you’d have a chance to fly there, assuming you’re in the same model/mission. I’ll be happy wherever — people’s least-preferred stations are temporary anyway, so why not?

Highflyer87

No way, I didn’t know that — I just assumed they were Navy. Thanks for the clarification.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really looked too hard at where helo pilots get stationed. I assumed any place the Navy goes (and any vessel large enough) has rotary needs, which means you’d have a chance to fly there, assuming you’re in the same model/mission. I’ll be happy wherever — people’s least-preferred stations are temporary anyway, so why not?
Helo stations are:
Norfolk- (MH60S)
San Diego-both
Jacksonville (MH60R)
Guam- (MH60S)
Japan-both
Hawaii- (MH60R)

any others are merely temporary and not worth choosing a platform for those stations.

amclouth

There are HSM squadrons in Mayport and Jacksonville, FL, San Diego, Kaneohe Bay, HI, Atsugi, Japan, and Rota, Spain. HSC is at Norfolk, San Diego, Atsugi, and Guam. Navy SAR stations are in Key West, Lemoore, Fallon, and Whidbey Island.

oadams2

Helo stations are:
Norfolk- (MH60S)
San Diego-both
Jacksonville (MH60R)
Guam- (MH60S)
Japan-both
Hawaii- (MH60R)

any others are merely temporary and not worth choosing a platform for those stations.
There are HSM squadrons in Mayport and Jacksonville, FL, San Diego, Kaneohe Bay, HI, Atsugi, Japan, and Rota, Spain. HSC is at Norfolk, San Diego, Atsugi, and Guam. Navy SAR stations are in Key West, Lemoore, Fallon, and Whidbey Island.
Good to know — thank you both for the info!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Am I the only one who wants to go MH-60S?
Nope, I would go MH-60 first choice as well after fighter. Im not sure if anyone else here flies helicopters besides me in this thread but it's a blast. I got bored flying fixed wing and helicopters would be a selection I would make without hesitation, especially the 60 platform. I would just rather not fly the MH-53 because it looks a little slow for my taste. I'd snatch up an MH-60 slot real fast lol.

I've ridden in UH/HH-60's and CH-47's and currently fly the R-22. The H-60 platform is a lot of fun.

H_ZNgineer

On or above Cloud 9
Whenever anybody asks me what I want to fly if I get in, I always reply with "well... Everybody has THE dream right?" referring to the pointy nose single seat, and while that is above and beyond my first pick, like another in this thread said, I'd be happy to fly a kite for the Navy so long as I was in the aviation community.

Barring that, I'd be happy with anything that does boat landings rotary or otherwise.

On another note, has anyone been in contact with their recruiting office since packet submittal or is it mainly hearsay/word of mouth? I still haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at my local office (and I don't necessarily expect to so close to turkey day).