• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

kdriscoll714

Aviation Candidate
When, in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, the selection results are release, those selected should begin studying Appendix Bravo. On the official OCS website, the Appendix Bravo is from 2018. While not much has changed, here is the most recent version. Published 24 February 2020.
Is this something we'll have to be ready to recite word for word?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I think it’s just cool to see that it is an option once you get to the fleet.
Yeah definitely.

Running as a separate and unique part of a physical readiness test annoys me. I want a more practical test.

I've always been a proponent of using a different test for cardio/respiratory endurance than simply running. I'd rather know that someone can pick me up and carry me 100yds as opposed to pushing themselves at pace without gear for 1.5mi. Congrats? There are a lot of great runners that would not be able to pick up a human being and carry them to save their life. For some reason several branches are focused on this type of physical test that IMO does not tell me if the person is ready for combat. Maybe I'm missing something ?‍♂️

The USAF points out this discrepancy if you have a run-waiver asking, "If you had to run 100yds to save your life, could you?", if your answer is yes, you're deployable. Amazing. So why run 1.5 miles every 6-12 months? What does it prove when the only actual running requirement for being deployable is verbally saying you can run 100yds? lol

Ty.Hinds57

That’s very interesting about the 2000m row. Was not aware that was an option. I have a lot of experience with indoor rowing coaching due to working for Orangetheory Fitness the last few years. I think that’s a phenomenal test of endurance and it’s cool to see it as an option for the cardio test.
My best friend is a coach at an OTF in Dallas, those classes can be brutal!

Marcus_Aurelius

The USAF points out this discrepancy if you have a run-waiver asking, "If you had to run 100yds to save your life, could you?", if your answer is yes, you're deployable. Amazing.

Former Army here...
I can say there is a difference between, “running to save your life,” and being a warrior. I think many people could run 100 yards to save their life, but it takes more to be a warrior.

I can only speak from my experience in the Army, but there was a day where, at a moments notice, we had to run about 3 miles in total through the town of Zormat, Afghanistan.

We had gotten word that an HVT was driving through the town, and my Company formed an impromptu platoon to go run this guy’s car down. I personally was in my athletic uniform and only had time to grab my armor, helmet and rifle. All in all, that three miles, unprepared for, in armor and carrying ammunition, hopping over walls to cut off the driver, was a very difficult run. I am glad we had been trained by running 5 miles a day, otherwise, I’m not sure we would have been able to grab that HVT who was an IED-maker whose signature design had been traced to killing hundreds of troops previously.

Now, the demands for each branch may be different. But the moral of my story is, you never know what the demands on a warrior will be. Better to be prepared for anything.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Former Army here...
I can say there is a difference between, “running to save your life,” and being a warrior. I think many people could run 100 yards to save their life, but it takes more to be a warrior.

Now, the demands for each branch may be different. But the moral of my story is, you never know what the demands on a warrior will be. Better to be prepared for anything.
Lol true, I know firsthand the difference between the AF and Army PT culture and it's stark. I had the pleasure of being assigned to support the Army for the duration of my enlistment. You guys PT a lot for exactly the situation you described. The Army is a different animal altogether, and is also the reason why we USAF members go through additional training when we're assigned to support Army units lol.

Marcus_Aurelius

Lol true, I know firsthand the difference between the AF and Army PT culture and it's stark. I had the pleasure of being assigned to support the Army for the duration of my enlistment. You guys PT a lot for exactly the situation you described. The Army is a different animal altogether, and is also the reason why we USAF members go through additional training when we're assigned to support Army units lol.

Oh, I’m not trying to compare branches at all. I think each branch and every warrior is just as vital and important as the next.

I’d just like to see every American warrior able to handle whatever is thrown at them. (That’s one of the main reasons I’d like to transfer to the Navy as an Aviator. I want to know how to fight on the ground, at sea, and fly. Lol)