• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

j.marlow24

Making my students land on the carrier when I have extra time on the simulator at my flight school. It’s only November 2nd... embracing the wait!

soccerman816

I have been on Reddit and the "newtothenavy" thread, but there is nothing quality in relation to OCS. Does anyone have a good checklist of stuff to start acquiring in advance? My contact advised the backup from COVID for the OCS pipeline is thinning out and that I could ship as early as late Jan/early Feb upon selection, so I thought it would be wise to take advantage of Black Friday and Christmas sales. Anyone have a "master list" from someone who has been there recently?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I have been on Reddit and the "newtothenavy" thread, but there is nothing quality in relation to OCS. Does anyone have a good checklist of stuff to start acquiring in advance? My contact advised the backup from COVID for the OCS pipeline is thinning out and that I could ship as early as late Jan/early Feb upon selection, so I thought it would be wise to take advantage of Black Friday and Christmas sales. Anyone have a "master list" from someone who has been there recently?
This website has been really helpful and is the official OCS website.

For a checklist, scroll down to where it shows the menu bar and select "Required and Recommended Items" for a list of items to bring which is mostly administrative stuff. Our OR's might have a more extensive list.

Obviously I haven't been but I believe everything else you will need is issued while you're there. I have heard people recommending bringing one week worth of toiletries, undergarments, etc. Just the essentials before making that first trip to the NEX.

Triumph_MAC

Does this mean they are pushing results out sooner than later? We are officially 1 week out now.

Triumph_MAC

Looks like AD odds are high. Hopefully that trend works in our favor
Hopefully, I'm not sure of that spreadsheet accounted for all AD on the boards or just ones from the threads that had info on the AW spreadsheets. I was wondering if the folks under recruiting station 198 on the "at-board" list that was posted is all AD. If so, theres definitely more than 16 of us.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Does this mean they are pushing results out sooner than later? We are officially 1 week out now.
Those @soccerman816 Jan/Feb ship dates line up with the original timeline I heard in 2019 from the OR for shipping off OCS candidates in ~30-90 days after selection. I think results will still be out in their usual timeframe, but we're getting through the COVID backlog it seems.

I hope that's the case this time, I don't want to go through some age waiver process after selection lol

soccerman816

Those @soccerman816 Jan/Feb ship dates line up with the original timeline I heard in 2019 from the OR for shipping off OCS candidates in ~30-90 days after selection. I think results will still be out in their usual timeframe, but we're getting through the COVID backlog it seems.

I hope that's the case this time, I don't want to go through some age waiver process after selection lol

Oh, I get it. My contact is a straight shooter haha retired CPO (doing this for 12 years post-retirement) who could care less about my feelings, only tells me facts and so far, they have been much more open than my OR. I trust them when they tell me what they would expect.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hopefully, I'm not sure of that spreadsheet accounted for all AD on the boards or just ones from the threads that had info on the AW spreadsheets. I was wondering if the folks under recruiting station 198 on the "at-board" list that was posted is all AD. If so, theres definitely more than 16 of us.
You're right, that spreadsheet only includes AD or Prior Service on the AirWarriors Excel sheets so it's definitely a smaller pool of the real number out of 230 applicants. The higher acceptance rate is interesting, with often lower averages. I think part of that is being able to quantify real-world military experience and leadership effectively in the motivational statement.

Mntman

Contributor
For those with dependents, have you heard anything about the transition from IFS/API to Primary? I feel like I've read somewhere that we are more likely to receive follow on orders to Whiting Field for primary.

I have been hearing similar things about keeping those with dependents in the Pensacola area because it is cheaper to move someone without dependents.

Best place to ask for more reliable answer would be the sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs page.

Marcus_Aurelius

You're right, that spreadsheet only includes AD or Prior Service on the AirWarriors Excel sheets so it's definitely a smaller pool of the real number out of 230 applicants. The higher acceptance rate is interesting, with often lower averages. I think part of that is being able to quantify real-world military experience and leadership effectively in the motivational statement.
This is my first post, since lurking has proven sufficient enough for me up until this point. But I'd like to clarify: You're certain that it also includes Prior Service? If so, does that also include Prior Service from other branches? Asking because I am a former Infantry NCO from the Army, only recently separated.

Triumph_MAC

A Jan/Feb class date would be awesome. Going from Hawaii weather to Newport weather would be a slight change... well worth it though.
The age waiver process isn't bad but the wait for approval/denial is brutal. If they approved my waiver though, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
This is my first post, since lurking has proven sufficient enough for me up until this point. But I'd like to clarify: You're certain that it also includes Prior Service? If so, does that also include Prior Service from other branches? Asking because I am a former Infantry NCO from the Army, only recently separated.
I know this is true because the lowest GPA Minimum number for the 02 Nov Board represented on the prior service sheet is my GPA (2.74), and I'm Prior service USAF, not Active Duty. If you put Prior Service on our 02Nov2020 Excel sheet, it's being counted on the prior service spreadsheet. There wasn't a shred-out on our sheet for active duty and prior service, it's just one column.

Marcus_Aurelius

I know this is true because the lowest GPA Minimum number for the 02 Nov Board represented on the prior service sheet is my GPA (2.74), and I'm Prior service USAF, not Active Duty. If you put Prior Service on our 02Nov2020 Excel sheet, it's being counted on the prior service spreadsheet. There wasn't a shred-out on our sheet for active duty and prior service, it's just one column.
Thank you for the clarification, that definitely helps some of the anticipation.

Edit: Also, for those wondering, The Garmin Tactix Bravo is still a solid piece of equipment. I've had it for years and still use it regularly. One of the best personal devices for military service. If you're worried about the price tag for the newer models, don't be concerned about getting an older unit. The Bravo works well.

exNavyOffRec

It is more about the higher number of selections than what they used to have, aviation used to be an average of 50% selection, sometimes down to 25% the higher number of selections allows for those with lower scores to get picked up, and also those who are AD or prior are less likely to have a waiver for legal and moral reasons which increases selection chances.

The other thing is that the info for AD to apply has become much better, several years ago it was AFU, so much so it would make 2020 look like a bouquet or roses LOL