• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

BDavis11

Contributor
It's been maybe 3 years. I had to retest because of the new standards with the age max changing. Life happened in between all of that.

My previous score was 42 4/6/5.
oh wow. my score was similar but 3/5/5. smh that was in august so. Hoping to improve the second time around

BDavis11

Contributor
What are you using to study/ practice ?
I found a ton of resources on this site.
literally this site. going through kyles gouge and brushing up on math and mechanical. didnt feel i did too well there and the only thing i really looked at the first time was a few flashcards and the compass trick. I was too confident with the trick and added unnecessary stuff to my compass. also messed up the emergency proc. becuase at this point i felt like i was stinking up the test.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
oh wow. my score was similar but 3/5/5. smh that was in august so. Hoping to improve the second time around
I wouldn't sweat a lower OAR, that's just going to get you to the board. If you're going to retest, focus on those specific topics that aid in the improvement of the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR score, that's the most important. If you have a weak area that maybe wouldn't improve much by studying, focus on the other areas that have significant room for improvement.

My scores went from 50 6/7/5 to 55 /7/8/6. I didn't even study the math the second time because I figured after 31 years of my life it wouldn't be worth my time going back to try and cram high level math into my brain after being out of math courses for 7 years. I focused on improving the aviation scores since that's the most important to the board and it worked for me.

Could be different for you based on what works best for you, but I didn't sweat one topic and chose to study the others.

I bought an ASTB guide from Amazon, went through it and realized I didn't learn anything and figured I was ready. A lot of guides are almost too basic to make an impact. They're for building a foundation of knowledge and that's about it lol.

Can do

literally this site. going through kyles gouge and brushing up on math and mechanical. didnt feel i did too well there and the only thing i really looked at the first time was a few flashcards and the compass trick. I was too confident with the trick and added unnecessary stuff to my compass. also messed up the emergency proc. becuase at this point i felt like i was stinking up the test.
I wouldn't sweat a lower OAR, that's just going to get you to the board. If you're going to retest, focus on those specific topics that aid in the improvement of the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR score, that's the most important. If you have a weak area that maybe wouldn't improve much by studying, focus on the other areas that have significant room for improvement.

My scores went from 50 6/7/5 to 55 /7/8/6. I didn't even study the math the second time because I figured after 31 years of my life it wouldn't be worth my time going back to try and cram high level math into my brain after being out of math courses for 7 years. I focused on improving the aviation scores since that's the most important to the board and it worked for me.

Could be different for you based on what works best for you, but I didn't sweat one topic and chose to study the others.

For me I still went over and reviewed every section as a refresher. But stressed more than I needed to. I literally did math and mechanical questions on YouTube with Kieno Thomas (look him up) based on whatever practice videos he had posted along with random things posted to help study.

There is a free PDF online ARCO Military flight aptitude test and I did the questions there for review they have every aviation test. AFOQT, ASTB, SIFT.

Idk what worked for others but I went to Dave and busters and would play random aviation games they had. Not sure if it helped but it was refreshing and fun.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
For me I still went over and reviewed every section as a refresher. But stressed more than I needed to. I literally did math and mechanical questions on YouTube with Kieno Thomas (look him up) based on whatever practice videos he had posted along with random things posted to help study.

There is a free PDF online ARCO Military flight aptitude test and I did the questions there for review they have every aviation test. AFOQT, ASTB, SIFT.

Idk what worked for others but I went to Dave and busters and would play random aviation games they had. Not sure if it helped but it was refreshing and fun.
Great advice.

Seconding for Kieno Thomas, really good channel for officer test review and he's a prior naval aviator!

That's thinking outside the box if you don't have access to a simulator, I think that works with the hand-eye coordination.

BDavis11

Contributor

I bought an ASTB guide from Amazon, went through it and realized I didn't learn anything and figured I was ready. A lot of guides are almost too basic to make an impact. They're for building a foundation of knowledge and that's about it lol.
I read somewhere on here that the math portion effects those three scores. thats all i want to boost really is those three

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I read somewhere on here that the math portion effects those three scores. thats all i want to boost really is those three
That is true.

I knew for me personally I couldn't add to my math repertoire so I chose to focus my efforts elsewhere that could effect those scores a little more efficiently.

TheCoon

Ha I used the ASTB as an excuse to pick up the newer Ace Combat and a joystick. Truthfully, I don’t think it helped me a ton. But it was better than nothing.

+1 for Kieno. I’d watch his YouTube lives and past videos. Never had a one-on-one with him, though. I also picked up the Barron’s Flight Aptitude Tests textbook and a math review for standardized tests. The 1,001 questions thread on here helped a ton, too.

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
I didn't have any practice with the flight simulator and ultimately took my ASTB with the intention of getting a base line- hopefully I will be competitive with those scores... I look at some of you guys' scores and it makes me a little nervous given my current standing. Kudos to all of you with 8s and above!

As far as the OAR, I just retook two math classes at a community college and had a lot of working knowledge with mechanical concepts and naval information given I was prior and currently work as a mechanic for the Navy.

Really hoping we all make it in with no hiccups.

One more thing, I was looking at spreadsheets from prior boards and saw many more pro-Y than Finsel. Is there a possibility I can become disqualified after a Y?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
hopefully I will be competitive with those scores... I look at some of you guys' scores and it makes me a little nervous given my current standing. Kudos to all of you with 8s and above!

One more thing, I was looking at spreadsheets from prior boards and saw many more pro-Y than Finsel. Is there a possibility I can become disqualified after a Y?

You really don't have anything to worry about with your scores, it's all a juggling game really. You can see many selections in the 6 - 9 range, and I'd point out there are individuals not selected through the entire range as well. Lower scores may require more emphasis on leadership and community involvement, sports, or a great motivational statement. I think people get passed over when they think their ASTB scores will carry them through to a ProRec-Y without touching on key areas.

There is a possibility, but how unlikely is that?

I think what you're seeing on the Excel's are lazy individuals not updating the Excel sheet. Once they get there ProRec-Y they could choose to update the sheet or not, and even select a different job like IW, SWO, Intel etc. My assumption is that most of the ProRec-Y individuals that did not indicate what specific job they received simply said "ProRec-Y" on the forum post and did not go back and specify on the sheet. The sheet was then updated to show they received the recommendation from a third party without the identifier and the individuals step away from posting on the forum from that point forward.

I would love to see people stick around and at a minimum update the sheet, or get to know their future OCS classmates. I'd imagine people use this website for their personal gain and once they receive the ProRec-Y, the website no longer holds any value to them.

I'm trying to locate the article I ran across several months ago (I believe from Navy Times) because it seems there are a lot of individuals worried about scores, and getting selected etc. I read that there are certain cycles that consistently do better than others. The worst time to apply is in the summer, lots of people looking to join with high ASTB scores create a more competitive board. Contrast that with the current cycle, there can be a 25% increase in selection rate just by changing the cycle in which you apply.

That's why I'm telling individuals with a 6 or higher you have a good shot because the cycle we're applying to typically trends higher on the acceptance rate because either there are fewer individuals, or the competition is a little less fierce. Obviously reading this, someone would be frustrated if they weren't selected including myself, but It's good to keep in mind which board cycle you'd like to reapply to if time is on your side.

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
I think what you're seeing on the Excel's are lazy individuals not updating the Excel sheet. Once they get there ProRec-Y they could choose to update the sheet or not, and even select a different job like IW, SWO, Intel etc. My assumption is that most of the ProRec-Y individuals that did not indicate what specific job they received simply said "ProRec-Y" on the forum post and did not go back and specify on the sheet. The sheet was then updated to show they received the recommendation from a third party without the identifier and the individuals step away from posting on the forum from that point forward.

I would love to see people stick around and at a minimum update the sheet, or get to know their future OCS classmates. I'd imagine people use this website for their personal gain and once they receive the ProRec-Y, the website no longer holds any value to them.

Ahh, that's a solid point. When looking at the disparity between y and finsel I was worried at first, but it makes sense that people take their results and never update their info.

I know I'll be on this forum for quite a bit given all of the knowledge and experiences people have been contributing.

Thanks for easing my mind a bit, this is your second board for SNA?