• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Ahh, that's a solid point. When looking at the disparity between y and finsel I was worried at first, but it makes sense that people take their results and never update their info.

I know I'll be on this forum for quite a bit given all of the knowledge and experiences people have been contributing.

Thanks for easing my mind a bit, this is your second board for SNA?
Yeah I hope lots of people stick around. Once I found out I was not accepted from the May board I took a break from the forum. It didn't do me any good mentally to watch people discuss getting selected for SNA who had lower PFAR scores, no flight experience, and lower GPA. I had to take a step back and re-assess what I did wrong.

Yeah this is my second board, first was SNA, this time for SNA/NFO

How long have you been out of the Navy? You've got a lot of time at 28 too.

Terrypolanco2

if i get accepted, when at OCS ill try to make a spreadsheet of the class there and then put it up on Airwarriors at a later date. not tryin to test my luck without knowing if i get in yet tho XD

Ghost SWO

Contributor
if i get accepted, when at OCS ill try to make a spreadsheet of the class there and then put it up on Airwarriors at a later date. not tryin to test my luck without knowing if i get in yet tho XD
Oh like the OCS class OAR/ASTB statistics?

DylDozer

SNA PROREC-Y
Contributor
Yeah I hope lots of people stick around. Once I found out I was not accepted from the May board I took a break from the forum. It didn't do me any good mentally to watch people discuss getting selected for SNA who had lower PFAR scores, no flight experience, and lower GPA. I had to take a step back and re-assess what I did wrong.

Yeah this is my second board, first was SNA, this time for SNA/NFO

How long have you been out of the Navy? You've got a lot of time at 28 too.

I was in for 5 years, finished my enlistment in 2017. Just looking for a way back in at this point.

What improvements did you make to your kit, or why did you feel that you weren't selected in the first place?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
not tryin to test my luck without knowing if i get in yet tho XD
Yeah I totally get that feeling.

It seems PFAR, FOFAR, GPA, Age, don't have any set cut-offs and you'll get ProRec-Y or ProRec-N throughout the statistical range for each.

I'd love some form of reassurance in my scores, as would others I think. What is irrefutable though; 20/20 females applying to the boards this year were selected, (according to the excel sheets). 100% selection rate.

Not pointing to anything or suspecting anything, just an observation :)

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Just looking for a way back in at this point.
What improvements did you make to your kit, or why did you feel that you weren't selected in the first place?
Nice! Yeah same here, been wanting this for a long time lol.

Improvements:
-Additional clarity and bolstering of my involvement in extracurricular activities/clubs/orgs to include titles and emphasizing leadership involvement,
-Additional flight hours, acquired my Pilot's license and sUAS Remote pilot license,
-Retook the ASTB and scored higher,
-Maintaining 4.0 GPA in my current coursework in a new Bachelor's program (started 2nd Bachelors Fall 2019),
-Complete re-work of motivational statement and overall tone; Addressed specific key aspects I believe the board needs to know to make a decision,
-Emphasized prior service experience by quantifying and proving my aptitude to excel in a Navy career, as a Sailor, and as an officer.

Why I wasn't selected with a 7 PFAR?
-Maybe my activities/clubs/orgs/ were weak; What I did provide did not include leadership attributes,
-My motivational statement was a short story of my life and I did not explicitly answer any questions I think the board would ask like; "Why do you want to join the Navy?", "What makes you a good Sailor/officer?",
-I failed to sell myself in the motivational statement and chose to write a narrative of my life experiences that make me unique but they had to search for answers to their questions
-Maybe weak explanation of a 2.0 B.S. GPA when my A.A.S. leading into it was a 3.36,
-Failed to quantify prior service, and probably left them wondering why I didn't assimilate my motivational statement to the way they might expect (I think they are expecting more impact from prior service).
- I didn't use all of the space provided for the motivational statement and relied on a shorter "disruptive" style of trying to stand out among pages of applicants

Other than that, anyone's guess is as good as mine. I tried to shore up those things I thought could get me another ProRec-N. I can't change my GPA because I'm near 220 credit hours of coursework and I'm tapped out at a 4.0. I can't change the ASTB at this point. What I can do though, is refine and include aspects of my life that I glossed over the first time. Specifically ones that I felt had significant clout toward why I'm the best candidate.

I have a hard time saying I'm better than someone else because I'm a pretty humble person I think, and that translated into a fairly weak "motivational" statement. I put everything out there this time. I wanted to make sure I said enough and provided enough reason as to why it should be me instead of someone else. Hopefully it pans out that way.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
My experience has not been the greatest. It has been a gauntlet to say the least. I know what happened, and I'm done being disappointed. Maybe I will see some of you in the Fleet. There's no longer any discouragement..
Smooth seas never made skillful sailors.

Your disappointments in this process offer you great perspective and experience that others may not have. It will make it sweeter to you if you get in having gone through the gauntlet and you'll appreciate it that much more. You may even have to counsel a Sailor going through a tough time, and you can empathize and sympathize with their difficulties.

All the best of luck to you in this journey.

tberge22

Agreed. Wait for your OCS date. That will give them plenty of time and reason to find a replacement.
This was my original plan but one day my boss hit me with a private message "Joining the military?"... turns out he got a letter/survey asking him to evaluate me. I freaked out a little bit at first but overall he seemed pretty cool about it. My old boss actually wrote one of my rec letters but he left the company about 3 weeks before I decided to apply so it worked out perfectly.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
This was my original plan but one day my boss hit me with a private message "Joining the military?"... turns out he got a letter/survey asking him to evaluate me. I freaked out a little bit at first but overall he seemed pretty cool about it. My old boss actually wrote one of my rec letters but he left the company about 3 weeks before I decided to apply so it worked out perfectly.
That's interesting. I wonder if that was the result of a security clearance investigation.