• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

mstewart5

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered but what is the situation regarding running shoes when you get to OCS? I’ve seen people saying you should bring your own but my recruiter just told me he doesn’t think I’ll be able to use them. Can I bring/use my own pair when I get there and is a black shoe with a navy colored sole okay?

Forgedinwater

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered but what is the situation regarding running shoes when you get to OCS? I’ve seen people saying you should bring your own but my recruiter just told me he doesn’t think I’ll be able to use them. Can I bring/use my own pair when I get there and is a black shoe with a navy colored sole okay?

The official start guide says to bring shoes, though you may not use them. It just says no minimalist shoes.

NevarYalnal

you're recommended to bring your own, otherwise you're stuck with whatever the NEX has. Our class was not made to buy go fasters on our first trip to the NEX; we were issued go-slowers (shower shoes) though.

Tracker95

you're recommended to bring your own, otherwise you're stuck with whatever the NEX has. Our class was not made to buy go fasters on our first trip to the NEX; we were issued go-slowers (shower shoes) though.
my son is in 15-21 and as you see in the yesterdays official picture from OCS facebook page, everyone brought thier own shoes 31423

ccilek

My recruiter got my final select letter and my date is August 15th. Anyone seen a Facebook group for that class? I can't find it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
This

1625083102172-jpeg.31423

Made me think of this (NSFW)

HookCrew

Definitely way more in depth (and stringent) than MEPS, at least with the eyes portion. I I hear you in your concerns about the depth perception test - I always struggled with that test (and even got my eye doctor to give me at-home ways to practice) but ended up passing at NAMI! The test I took at NAMI was the one where you put on basically 3D glasses and hold a book in front of your face that has sets of circles, and you have to pick which circle has depth. Hopefully that test is better for you than the one you had at MEPS!

For eyes, they'll do your typical vision test (reading letters at a distance and up close, depth perception, color vision, etc.) but they also look into you optic nerves and do a couple other small eye tests that you probably shouldn't be concerned about (I'm not even sure what they were testing with some of those tbh). And your eyes will be dilated at the end so they can really see inside your optic nerves!

With that being said, in my experience at least, these docs WANT you to fly - they will give you the test twice if you fail, have someone else administer the test to make sure it wasn't an error on their part, etc.

Other parts of NAMI: EKG (or ECG - not sure which it was/what the difference is as I'm trying to be a pilot, not a doctor), hearing test (I think the same as MEPS if I remember correctly), blood work (HIV test, glucose levels, etc.), and a meeting with a flight surgeon to get your routine physical (he/she looks in your ears and throat, listens to your heart, goes over your medical history, tests your reflexes, etc.).

@KaleDaSquid feel free to add anything you think is important/correct anything I've said!
Any word on the type of color vision test they administer at Name ( curious if its the plates or the Rabin Cone)? Thanks in advance!