• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Truman Fire; FA-18C Ejection

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Man, that was a tough cruise. Now I am starting to feel sorry for you.

Everything is relative, I know. All kidding aside, I am so glad I served when I did. I wouldn't have even been accepted into today's Naval Air, and if I had of, would probably been attrited or kicked out. My hat is off to you who are serving now. Going back to my easy chair now to take a nap.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not gunna say the current generation has had any good deal in the deployment sked these past 10+ years. I have too much respect for you all. But if anyone thinks a westpac in the 80s got you into port every 2 weeks, or even every month, they need to review the geopolitics of the day and take a look at the historic record of a typical westpac. My experience was more like zipmartin's. Except I got the two beers for each of my beer days over six pack line periods ;) .

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Everything is relative, I know. All kidding aside, I am so glad I served when I did. I wouldn't have even been accepted into today's Naval Air, and if I had of, would probably been attrited or kicked out. My hat is off to you who are serving now. Going back to my easy chair now to take a nap.
Not gunna say the current generation has had any good deal in the deployment sked these past 10+ years. I have too much respect for you all. But if anyone thinks a westpac in the 80s got you into port every 2 weeks, or even every month, they need to review the geopolitics of the day and take a look at the historic record of a typical westpac. My experience was more like zipmartin's. Except I got the two beers for each of my beer days over six pack line periods ;) .

Agree with you both - would never take anything away from anyone deploying these days. I am glad that they have the tech that they do to keep in touch with their families.

PS - I once had to type the flight schedule on an IBM Selectric...yeah the good old days! ;);)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I wonder how much modern communications have been used to rationalize longer deployments?