• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winging Card???

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
. . . sometimes a real boring day in the tower can perk up after seeing a F18 going TOO fast into the break.

Is there such a thing?

Also, in the mid 90s, I didn't get the nice black holder either. My card is in my wallet (I don't know why) and it's trashed. Can I get T-ball to sign a new one for me?

phrogpilot73

I've got one, with my NA # in the cool black wallet. It's been sitting in the box that I have all my patches/nametags in. I plan on using exactly one time in my life, and that's for when we move to VA and I go to get my Naval Aviator license plate, and have to prove that I was one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was an Air Traffic Controller until December 1st when I got picked up for the flying CWO program. The ATC scopes do get recorded (even the old Navy scopes) and the TAS is on there. They can calculate the distance a target has gone in an amount of time and be right on, I have seen it in incedent reports.

Wouldn't that be Ground Speed? I guess I don't understand how it can figure TAS if it doesn't know the temp/PA. On the tapes they show us here from PNS ATC, the speeds are all ground speed.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nose,
NFOs got them as well. Was your's embossed with a US Navy stamp like a notary would use? Mine is.
I got mine in Aug 87, looked exactly the same except said "Naval Flight Officer." I got to dig it out now....
Cheers,
G

Nose

pilot
Is there such a thing?

Also, in the mid 90s, I didn't get the nice black holder either. My card is in my wallet (I don't know why) and it's trashed. Can I get T-ball to sign a new one for me?

T-Ball lives (or at least used to live) within 5nm of my house. Look him up on the interweb and drop him a line...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought that was the only official documentation that I'm a real pilot, so mine's in a safe.

What, this not good enough for you?

avcert.jpg

P.S. This one is probably from A4s timeframe.......:D

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Unless Henry Ford gets back with different info, I can tell you what I was told in a pretty interesting conversation with some ATC guys in Meridian.

They have equipment that sort of converts GS to AS based on the density and such. For example (apparently some people don't realize this) they read all squawks with alt at 2992. The computer (HAL, if you will) converts it to read what it should IF you have the right altimeter setting. That way if some jackass has a setting that is waaaaaay off and he thinks all is well his altitude will show up as jacked up on their screen.

Also, even though their equipment gets a reading and converts it to an implied AS, when you are in a steep angle climb or decent your AS will still be shown as different from what you are seeing. The extreme example would be going verticle. You know, tangents and such. So a plane could be going 600 knots straight up and maybe show up as 0 GS, therefore be converted to 0 AS.

*In that extreme example it would pick up some speed because you are still moving away from the radar source. But you get the idea. Just like notching.*

The more real world example is if you are climbing out with 20 degrees nose high at 260 it would be probably less than 250 effectively.

"As long as it doesn't cause a near miss or anything we don't worry if someone is a little over airspeed."
That was another importnat quote I heard. But the guys in Meridian seemed to all be on our page there. Good group of controllers for sure.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Now, the SERE certificate, that's in the fireproof safe, with multiple copies in different locations. I ain't never doing that again.
I think the stuff that actually matters are the entries into NATOPS jackets and the logbook. Never hurts to make copies of the stuff in your various jackets.
Gentlemen...I give you:

https://nsipsweb.nmci.navy.mil/psp/NEDB/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/h/?tab=DEFAULT

The clearinghouse for all your "Navy Training, Sir!!!", the ESR (Electronic Service Record) - and yes, it documents all NASTP including SERE completion. Not much help for you deserters, though, as it requires CAC ID. Also, isn't the most user-friendly site.

However, we all know that once SkyNet achieves self-awareness not only will this documentation be lost forever, but those of us who have completed SERE will likely be the first ones hunted down. I just hope it's the T3 chick coming for me...

...she's hot.:eyebrows_

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I guess that's great if you're in ... but if you're out -- you can't get onto the website. :icon_wink

It's better now with electronic tracking. We discovered the Navy "lost" my records for @ 6 years when I got off active duty and went into the Reserves ... I was a LT for a loo-o-o-o-ong time (thought I got passed over until we did a record search), then they made me an O-4 for @ a year and a half, and then I picked up O-5 early. When New Orleans/Memphis finally "found" my records, I had been in the same classification as MIA.

But Cleveland still paid me every month ...
Go figure ...maybe I should have kept my mouth shut -- and I'd still be getting LT pay .... :)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Unless Henry Ford gets back with different info, I can tell you what I was told in a pretty interesting conversation with some ATC guys in Meridian.

They have equipment that sort of converts GS to AS based on the density and such. For example...

Did I dream up the part in API where they told us that GS=TAS+winds? The magic computer would have to know the winds aloft at every conceivable place and altitude in order to compute TAS. Not saying that it can't be done, but...

A related story: Flying around in the E-6, ATC would often call up and ask us for the winds so that they could pass it on to other airplanes looking for a more favorable altitude to fly.

Anyway, in the T-34 we don't have to burden our brains with the problem of going 250 below 10K, as it is really hard to do.

Unrelated observation: when you tell ATC that your TAS has changed by >5%, they don't give a shit unless you are oceanic. Try it sometime.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
To add a little to what we said previously and quote from the http://www.history.navy.mil website:

" ... The Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) quit issuing Naval Aviator Numbers sometime in the 1970s. Documentation has not been located that gives the date or provides reasons why the assignment of Naval Aviator numbers was discontinued. To date, no complete listing of all Naval Aviator numbers, including the letter-number designations, has been found. Moreover, it is highly unlikely a complete list exists because of the decentralization of the system during World War II. Bits and pieces of the listing for Naval Aviator numbers is held by the Naval Aviation History Office. However, the World War II and post-war period list is not organized in any alphabetical or chronological order, consequently, it is extremely difficult to find any individual’s number...."

Evidently the policy alluded to therein has changed (as in changed again -- the more things change, you know ... :)), and for the better, since you are currently receiving Naval Aviator numbers as witnessed by the above posts. :icon_wink