• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are you Leaving?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In short, he's the strike warfare commander. What do you as a Hawkeye guy know about blowing shit up?

The problem in today's military is we have too many managers and not enough leaders. Leaders lead by doing, preferably from or near the front...
So, ugh, back in the day, including some of your time apparently, you would have objected to the many F-4/14 no shit fleet air defense guys we had as CAG? What did they know about dropping bombs and blowing things up. Tactically they are closer to "Hawkeyeing" then VA. Oh but wait, they flew pointy nose jets with their hair on fire and were the loudest guys in the club so I suppose that qualifies them as CAG in your mind.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The problem I think he/we are going to run into when championing something other than the dreaded "golden path" for aviators is the issue of currency and time/cost to train folks back into the fleet. I mean, there are a lot of nice ideas out there, but we as aviators have to accept that the Peter-Pan lifestyle we all seek (flying tour, after flying tour, after flying tour) may not work out very well with some of them.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Too bad that the shit-bags that pursue that type of career are the worst aviators...ever...by a long shot.:rolleyes:

Since I've been in the RAG it's ridiculous to see the amount of resources spent on the CAT III/IV/V guys. Seems to me we could've kept those guys in the cockpit.

There's dudes in my squadron that haven't flown in 5+ years.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
A few pages ago, the topic of Helo Bubba dissatisfaction with NSW/SOF training vs. mission opportunities was discussed under the banner of retention issues. I just found this great article describing the long (but cyclical and entirely predictable) death of HSC-84/85:
http://fightersweep.com/1380/navy-ordered-two-seal-support-helicopter-squadrons-stand/
Best part is the back story behind the SOCOM (Olson) vs CNO (Roughead) squabble over dedicated SOF helo support.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
A few pages ago, the topic of Helo Bubba dissatisfaction with NSW/SOF training vs. mission opportunities was discussed under the banner of retention issues. I just found this great article describing the long (but cyclical and entirely predictable) death of HSC-84/85:
http://fightersweep.com/1380/navy-ordered-two-seal-support-helicopter-squadrons-stand/
Best part is the back story behind the SOCOM (Olson) vs CNO (Roughead) squabble over dedicated SOF helo support.
Wow, that's surprising... oh wait, it's entirely predictable...

Pity though...

robav8r

None
Contributor
Unfortunate. This part of the article was telling:
"With the Navy unwilling to continue to fully fund a capability that it views as outside its core mission and SOCOM unwilling to absorb another expensive helicopter unit or any part thereof, even in the face of the requirements of the
Global SOF Posture, no agreement was reached. In November 2014, OSD decided not to intervene in order to direct a funding solution."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not meaning this to be rhetorical, I'm really asking: is there any real reason to have Navy RW SF support? TF160 and AFSOC have plenty of helo guys who do it as a full-time gig already. It's an expensive capability to maintain, both in terms of equipment and training. There's not been any demonstrated need for Navy squadrons that do it - 160th/AFSOC know how to stage off ships if necessary, and it's not like -84/-85 were normally embarked for emergent tasking, either. Other than wanting part of a sexy mission, why should it be part of the HSC repertoire? Again, asking from ignorance.