• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's on YOUR head?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yep. Pretty obvious for sharp-eyed observer not thrown by use of Khaki for the USMC cover...

web_060522-N-5390M-002.jpg

060522-N-5390M-002 Annapolis, Md. (May 22, 2006) - Members of the U.S. Navy's flight demonstration team, the Blue Angels, attend a dedication ceremony at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis. The U.S. Naval Academy, Naval Academy Alumni Association and Naval Academy Foundation dedicated an F/A-18 Hornet painted in the Blue Angels' traditional blue and gold colors. The plaque honors the sacrifices of the 25 Blue Angels who lost their lives in team flight operations during its 60 year history. U.S. Navy photo by Kenneth J. Mierzejewski (RELEASED)

What a ironic and very sad photo.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I find when I do the old one handed cover placement as I'm walking out the door it tends to get a natural dip anyways. Maybe not a pretty one, but a dip nonetheless.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What's your stance on v-necks sir?
I used up my last one decades ago waxing the car. Thanks for asking, though ... :)

P.S. ... since you're being so polite and really wanna' know ... :) ... I suspect it was "goin' commando" from the belt up -- situation normal in WestPac 40 years ago ...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's not an envelope. Wear the damn thing with a dip.

There are more than enough swo wannabes in my community who have an issue with the dip...I ask them why they even bother wearing their brown boots and then I carry on smartly.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I was curious about the tradition, so I asked, and was told by the only F/A-18 guy at my former primary squadron that it's to signify having combat hours. That's why I don't wear it. However, if he was either wrong, or full of it, I would love to be set strait and start rocking the dip.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
OD green looks like hell with blue flight suit. He gets to wear an enormous black eagle, globe, and anchor on his khaki cover. That'll have to do.

Fuck em, he has to wear the gay blue super tailored suit. You would think they wouldn't make him go full retard and wear the khaki cover with it. ;) I say let the Marines keep our green covers. At least that way maybe people wouldn't be too surprised to learn that there are Marines flying Fat Albert, and a Marine flying one of the blue jets.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was curious about the tradition, so I asked, and was told by the only F/A-18 guy at my former primary squadron that it's to signify having combat hours. ....
Completely WRONG = BAD GOUGE.

We've discussed this on the forum before ... try a 'search' ... :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was curious about the tradition, so I asked, and was told by the only F/A-18 guy at my former primary squadron that it's to signify having combat hours. That's why I don't wear it. However, if he was either wrong, or full of it, I would love to be set strait and start rocking the dip.

Crock Alert! I have a logbook near full of green ink & never heard of any link to a dip in thr P-cutter. Rock the dip (but remember that strait is a narrow body of water).:icon_smil
BzB

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That cover is a travesty. No wonder you guys dig the ballcaps.

Then again, the only way Marines can show some individuality is by rockin' the tilt, WWII style.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Fuck em, he has to wear the gay blue super tailored suit. You would think they wouldn't make him go full retard and wear the khaki cover with it. ;) I say let the Marines keep our green covers. At least that way maybe people wouldn't be too surprised to learn that there are Marines flying Fat Albert, and a Marine flying one of the blue jets.

uniform_usmc_khaki_375.jpg

USMC Khakis with khaki covers. The Blues don't really ask people to be on the team, so if you're going to volunteer you are going to play by their rules; furthermore, Marines are usually pretty big on the whole uniformity idea so I'm sure the ones that do become Blue Angels really don't mind.

With that being said, I dipped my cover all the way through flight school. I am always amused by the many "student" reasons for not dipping it....I'll dip it after wings, after I go supersonic, after I deploy etc (mostly academy dudes :) ).