• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's on YOUR head?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I think every unit wearing berets looks a hell of a lot better than the gay ass patrol cap...

Are you serious? The Beret is g a y! During the week, I wear a facility ballcap. On drill weekends I try to get by with the patrol cap. The Beret? Only when I have to. It is such a pain to get to look right. Then, if you actually wear it everyday, you end up folding it or smooshing it in a way that it looks retarded when you put it back on your head.

The pisscutter is the best hat for aviation. It fold well, fits in a flightsuit pocket, and comes back out and sits on your head well...minus the sweat stains and dirt. I guess that is the only advantage the black beret has...it hides (some) dirt.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I blew the opportunity on my last deployment, but I vow that the next time I make it to the far east, I'm getting a tailor to make me a boat cloak and I'm so going to rock it at the next ball.

I'm way ahead of you (yet again). Unfortunately, they're way too expensive to buy just for comedic value. Postal and I looked into it and they were about $700 or so if I recall correctly. I can't imagine why, but they are.

And yes, that was from the shady outside the gate tailor.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
The pisscutter is the best hat for aviation. It fold well, fits in a flightsuit pocket, and comes back out and sits on your head well...minus the sweat stains and dirt. I guess that is the only advantage the black beret has...it hides (some) dirt.
Why would you want to hide the sweat stains on the pisscutter - that's saltiness in the same vein as rashed-up, unpolished boots.:icon_smil

Renegade One

None
If the former CNO and now the current CJCS tucks his...does that make it regulation, or at least "highly endorsed"?
CNO.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why would you want to hide the sweat stains on the pisscutter - that's saltiness in the same vein as rashed-up, unpolished boots.:icon_smil

I get shit for shining my brown boots. myeh. Never shined my black ones, but the brown ones just look better imho when it doesn't look like my dog ate them.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I started to catch shit for my never polished black boots. The leather has this green tinge to it, almost matching my bag. They're awesomely salty. I decided to shelve them for a while and wear my polished pair to keep the heat off me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I started to catch shit for my never polished black boots. The leather has this green tinge to it, almost matching my bag. They're awesomely salty. I decided to shelve them for a while and wear my polished pair to keep the heat off me.
Just tell them 3710 says no flamable items to be worn in flight. Shoe polish is flamable.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If the former CNO and now the current CJCS tucks his...does that make it regulation, or at least "highly endorsed"?

Don't apply logic to studs. They'll just tell you "Well, I'm not an Admiral yet, so I can't do that. Don't wanna jinx it, ya know?"

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just tell them 3710 says no flamable items to be worn in flight. Shoe polish is flamable.

Oh, come on! I'm no boot polish Nazi, but that's absurd. Any heat/spark bad enough to ignite your boot polish is indicitive of far more dire and immediate concerns. That's like claiming that the "water repellent properties" of boot polish will help you float if you have to eject over water.

If you don't want to polish them, don't. If somebody senior makes you, then do it. Spouting that 3710 crap to somebody concerned enough about polishing boots to correct you will almost certainly incur a far worse face-sanding.

I polish mine at least once a year whether they need it or not.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I used that excuse for years and got away with it.....after I saw an emergency pull-forward and a F-4 land on the Midway during the mid 1980s with an inflight emergency when I was onboard for a week as the VP liasion officer during an exercise.......RIO's boot was on fire. Seems the back cockpit had a bunch of circuit breakers by the RIO's feet and they arced, catching the boot on fire. They never did say if it was because of the polish or all the other fluids that had dripped onto his boots but he swore he'd never wear a pair of polished boots again.

My CO's never did remind me there were no circuit breakers by the Tacco's feet in the P-3.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, neutral polish on the brown Belvilles works really well, almost better than brown. Brown polish darkens them from that awesome chocolate color they come in. /salty words from a stud

Pags

N/A
pilot
FWIW, neutral polish on the brown Belvilles works really well, almost better than brown. Brown polish darkens them from that awesome chocolate color they come in. /salty words from a stud

Shoe cream will keep them brown without making glossy and darker.

That being said, treating your boots, be it polish, shoe cream, mink oil, or whatever is important to helping them last longer and ensuring that the leather doesn't dry out.

Even if you polish them, a good pair of flight boots will still look salty, as no amount of polish can cover the gouges they'll get.