• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's on YOUR head?

punx_clever

I tried rocking the dip as a midshipman... I was yelled at by more senior mids, so I played the game and wore it "normal" until I was commissioned. Half a year of stashing and no one said a word about me dipping my cover, so it's just what I do. Come down here to p-cola, and my fellow ensigns try to convince me it is wrong.

I feel like it adds character. So long as the man above me doesn't say no, I'll still be doing it.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
This thread is just another example of how much the Navy has truly changed since some of us old-timers slipped the surly bonds of earth. We may have been concerned about dipping, patch-wearing, boot/shoe-color, leather jacket adorning, or various other matters while we were in AOCS/OCS, ROTC, or the Academy. But once released from those institutions, we acclimated to the real world with little concern about the potential repercussions of adopting such radical ideas. Never once can I remember agonizing over what seems to be such trivial subjects. I've mentioned this before, and I'll again quote a former squadron-mate, upon being asked if he missed the Navy: "You know......I miss the Navy I joined........but I don't miss the Navy I left".

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Started rocking the dip as soon as I started wearing the brown shoes. The day after commissioning. If you're a 13XX, wear the shoes, dip the cover. Simple as that. Hell, we've got middies and we give them shit because they don't dip their covers.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was curious about the tradition, so I asked, and was told by the only F/A-18 guy at my former primary squadron that it's to signify having combat hours. That's why I don't wear it. However, if he was either wrong, or full of it, I would love to be set strait and start rocking the dip.

Christ, seriously? That's bullshit.

Traditions are traditions. If they were regulations, they'd be in the damn uniform regulations. Just because some asshole thinks he knows the 'rule' behind a tradition, doesn't make him right.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
uniform_usmc_khaki_375.jpg

USMC Khakis with khaki covers. The Blues don't really ask people to be on the team, so if you're going to volunteer you are going to play by their rules; furthermore, Marines are usually pretty big on the whole uniformity idea so I'm sure the ones that do become Blue Angels really don't mind.

Dude- lighten up.

And we haven't had khakis or dress whites for some time now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This thread is just another example of how much the Navy has truly changed since some of us old-timers slipped the surly bonds of earth. We may have been concerned about dipping, patch-wearing, boot/shoe-color, leather jacket adorning, or various other matters while we were in AOCS/OCS, ROTC, or the Academy. But once released from those institutions, we acclimated to the real world with little concern about the potential repercussions of adopting such radical ideas. Never once can I remember agonizing over what seems to be such trivial subjects. I've mentioned this before, and I'll again quote a former squadron-mate, upon being asked if he missed the Navy: "You know......I miss the Navy I joined........but I don't miss the Navy I left".
Excellent ... + whatever. And all the above coming from an A-7/SWA driver, too ... my, my, my ... but then, he DID fly Heineman's Hot-Rod somewhere in there, didn't he ??? :)

Concerning the issue(s) being discussed: this is one of the best, straight to the 'heart of the matter' posts I've seen on this website. It's 'fun' to commiserate and witness your collective insecurities on whether or not to 'dip' your piss-cutter, wear brown shoes (?), 'where do my patches go'? -- 'fun' to a degree -- but if you guys would spend more time learning how to fly airplanes and less time worrying about this 'stuff', you'd be a lot better off.

'We' didn't even 'worry' about it in ROTC ... we wore the prescribed uniforms and they were 'perfect & correct' for inspections -- but 'we' dipped our khaki piss-cutters and wore brown shoes on cruises when we wanted to look 'real Navy'. I think the ONLY time I ever heard anyone comment on such weighty subjects was when someone said to someone else: "Get rid of those damn plastic Corfams and get a 'real' pair of brown leather oxfords ... " :)

Ahhhh ... I miss the 'good Navy', too. And sometimes I even miss Jimmy Durante, Jack Benny, and Lawrence Welk. :)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
USMC Khakis with khaki covers. The Blues don't really ask people to be on the team, so if you're going to volunteer you are going to play by their rules; furthermore, Marines are usually pretty big on the whole uniformity idea so I'm sure the ones that do become Blue Angels really don't mind.

Uniformity doesn't meaning changing your uniform because you are in a joint environment...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Uniformity doesn't meaning changing your uniform because you are in a joint environment...

Then how about all the folks who do IA's wearing ACU's?

Navy medical personnel wearing Marine Corps cammies while serving as FMF?

There's lots of precedent for personnel wearing another uniform for utilitarian purposes; the Blues are simply for the 'photogenic' reasons.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

There's lots of precedent for personnel wearing another uniform for utilitarian purposes; the Blues are simply for the 'photogenic' reasons.

You don't know that for sure. There could be snipers out there somewhere targeting Marines in the Blues...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps he should wear a tan bag with coffee stains all over the front and sweat stains all over the back for uniformity. But then he really should take the sunglasses off because you know you don't wear sunglasses in formation.

Just think of the khaki cover as organizational clothing if you its such a problem.

HueyCobra8151

pilot

Eh, can't argue with that. Good point.