• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of becoming a Naval Aviator? (Pilot)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I understand I have to make that selection before OCS. But If I choose and am accepted as SNA before OCS. Can I still be stripped of the pilot position after training (concidering i complete all levels of training to completion standards?)
To answer your question more directly: No. One of the advantages of OCS is that you know what your designator is going to be before you make the commitment. If you sign the contract for pilot, then you will be a pilot unless you become not-physically qualified (NPQ), you drop on request, or you fail out of the flight pipeline.

michigander

To answer your question more directly: No. One of the advantages of OCS is that you know what your designator is going to be before you make the commitment. If you sign the contract for pilot, then you will be a pilot unless you become not-physically qualified (NPQ), you drop on request, or you fail out of the flight pipeline.

Thank You!:)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The helicopter community in Naval/Marine Corps aviation is growing quite a bit. If you don't want helos, you might want to think again. You have like a 2/3 chance of going whirley birds.

Down, right, idle, turn...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, as long as I get to fly something, I'll be fine with that. I just don't want to get gauranteed a Pilot career before starting OCS, and making it all the way through Training and then have someone tell me that I will not be able to be a pilot but am forced to be NFO. (and I have no doubt that I will get through training ok because failure would NOT be an option).

There are no guarantees in Naval Air, so if you fuck it up...NFO could be a reality.

Simply having "no doubt" you will not fail is sometimes not enough.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I understand I have to make that selection before OCS. But If I choose and am accepted as SNA before OCS. Can I still be stripped of the pilot position after training (concidering i complete all levels of training to completion standards?)

The NAMI WHAMMY!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just don't want to get gauranteed a Pilot career before starting OCS, and making it all the way through Training and then have someone tell me that I will not be able to be a pilot but am forced to be NFO. (and I have no doubt that I will get through training ok because failure would NOT be an option).
You need to get a couple things straight before you even take one step towards the recruiter's office. Your career is not EVER "guaranteed," regardless of whether or not you have your wings. You still have to get through the RAG (while being graded, still), and impress your fleet CO enough to get the FITREPS you need to be competitive (while earning qualifications and being graded. Still).

Look up a little thing called a Field Naval Aviator Evaluation Board (FNAEB). If you don't attrite out of flight school, you can still "attrite" after being winged. For the rest of your career, if you screw up badly enough, you can be FNAEBed. The standard keeps rising. Trust me. What constitutes "scraping by" in flight school will not hack it after you have wings on your chest. Your instructors may respect the hell out of your work ethic and you as a person, but the standard is the standard, and no one is going to give a DAMN that you "know you're going to make it."

You definitely need to adjust your attitude regarding NFOs. Life is not Top Gun. You are not Maverick. NFOs do much, much more than just sit back there going "we're goin' ballistic, Mav!" If you are lucky enough to be selected for Naval Aviation, be thankful for the privilege. Single OR double anchor. A classmate of mine recently carrier qualified in the Prowler on his last chance to do so. It's traditional to buy a bottle of booze for the NFO instructor who you're crewed up with for CQ. This guy had enough respect and gratitude for his boat ECMO's talents that he bought him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue. No one is forced to be an NFO. If you really can't handle that, go whine and take your ego somewhere else. We don't want you. You should be asking to be put whereever, not coming on Internet forums and saying you don't want to be forced to be an NFO. The Navy will put you where it will. You wil be fortunate indeed if all of your ORDERS are congruent with what you want.

First it's "NO HELOS," now it's "oh, helos might be OK but NO NFO." Me, me, me. Semper I. I respect that you have goals. I respect that you want to bust your ass. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you show up to OCS or API talking like you are posting here, you are going to be THAT GUY. Your instructors are going to paint a big red bullseye on your back and declare it open season. You had best eat some humble pie before proceeding further. I truly wish the best for you in your endeavors and hope you have a fine career. But you need to take a big step back and think about how you are coming across. Confidence is key, believe me. But given where you are, you are coming across as very arrogant to those who have been there, done that.

gotta_fly

pilot
OK OK.... I guess helo's wouldn't be that bad, It's just that I would greatly appreciate flying a fixed wing to get the experience that I am looking for. I like the Navy/Marine Corps because they will let me apply for a pilot career before I have to sign anything. I'm not sure if this is true for the airforce.

Not to dogpile, but that statement also comes across negatively. If you're looking to get experience for something other than the Navy (airlines?) there's nothing wrong with that much later on, but I wouldn't be walking around OCS/ flight school announcing that to people. You're applying to be a Navy officer who flies, not just a pilot, and you'll be doing it for about ten years.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ "to get the experience that I am looking for" translates to I want to fly fixed wing aircraft so I can become an airline pilot.

Clux4

Banned
^ "to get the experience that I am looking for" translates to I want to fly fixed wing aircraft so I can become an airline pilot.

I thought I was the only one that read into that.........
Different stroke for different folkes.

Dude/gal, don't take this the wrong way. What everyone is really trying to tell you is this. A plan for the future is a smart move but be prepared for the worse. In this line of work, you are just a number and a disposable one at that.

michigander

You need to get a couple things straight before you even take one step towards the recruiter's office. Your career is not EVER "guaranteed," regardless of whether or not you have your wings. You still have to get through the RAG (while being graded, still), and impress your fleet CO enough to get the FITREPS you need to be competitive (while earning qualifications and being graded. Still).

Look up a little thing called a Field Naval Aviator Evaluation Board (FNAEB). If you don't attrite out of flight school, you can still "attrite" after being winged. For the rest of your career, if you screw up badly enough, you can be FNAEBed. The standard keeps rising. Trust me. What constitutes "scraping by" in flight school will not hack it after you have wings on your chest. Your instructors may respect the hell out of your work ethic and you as a person, but the standard is the standard, and no one is going to give a DAMN that you "know you're going to make it."

You definitely need to adjust your attitude regarding NFOs. Life is not Top Gun. You are not Maverick. NFOs do much, much more than just sit back there going "we're goin' ballistic, Mav!" If you are lucky enough to be selected for Naval Aviation, be thankful for the privilege. Single OR double anchor. A classmate of mine recently carrier qualified in the Prowler on his last chance to do so. It's traditional to buy a bottle of booze for the NFO instructor who you're crewed up with for CQ. This guy had enough respect and gratitude for his boat ECMO's talents that he bought him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue. No one is forced to be an NFO. If you really can't handle that, go whine and take your ego somewhere else. We don't want you. You should be asking to be put whereever, not coming on Internet forums and saying you don't want to be forced to be an NFO. The Navy will put you where it will. You wil be fortunate indeed if all of your ORDERS are congruent with what you want.

First it's "NO HELOS," now it's "oh, helos might be OK but NO NFO." Me, me, me. Semper I. I respect that you have goals. I respect that you want to bust your ass. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you show up to OCS or API talking like you are posting here, you are going to be THAT GUY. Your instructors are going to paint a big red bullseye on your back and declare it open season. You had best eat some humble pie before proceeding further. I truly wish the best for you in your endeavors and hope you have a fine career. But you need to take a big step back and think about how you are coming across. Confidence is key, believe me. But given where you are, you are coming across as very arrogant to those who have been there, done that.

Whoah hold on, first of all I'm not looking for a "Top Gun" lifestyle. Second my ego is very small. I'm NOT saying I'm the best of the best out there. And I now realize and don't really care what I'm flying, as long as I'm flying and I've got one hand on the throttle. I guess I must have said something to piss all of you off! Sorry people! I'm just trying to get facts, and i've got these recruiters knocking on my doors making navy pilot life seem like the right choice for me. But all they tell me is what i want to hear (I understand that) that's why I'm here, trying to see what it's really like behind those closed doors. I respect all of you people and your input, I'm not trying to hate on anyone. I'm concerned about my future and didn't spend the last 6 years of my life and $100,000 to sit in the back of an aircraft and not be able to do what I've been preparing to do.

Again, sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, I'm not here to argue. I'm here to figure out if this is the route I want to take because i have absolutely no previous knowledge of the military. I don't care if I get to be an airline pilot or fly "big fancy planes" somewhere down the road. Flying the bush or air tours is fine with me. Flying is where my passion and heart is, where it's always been. Excuse me if I need to fly aircraft for the rest of my life, and won't have it be any other way. ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoah dude, first of all I'm not looking for a "Top Gun" lifestyle. Second my ego is very small. I guess I must have said something to piss all of you off! Sorry people! I'm just trying to get facts, and i've got these recruiters knocking on my doors making navy pilot life seem like the right choice for me. But all they tell me is what i want to here (I understand that) that's why I'm here, trying to see what it's really like behind those closed doors. I respect all of you people and your input, I'm not trying to hate on anyone. I'm concerned about my future and didn't spend the last 6 years of my life and $100,000 to sit in the back of an aircraft and not be able to do what I've been preparing to do.

Again, sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, I'm not here to argue. I'm here to figure out if this is the route I want to take because i have absolutely no previous knowledge of the military. I don't care if I get to be an airline pilot or fly "big fancy planes" somewhere down the road. Flying the bush or air tours is fine with me. Flying is where my passion and heart is, where it's always been. Excuse me if I need to fly aircraft for the rest of my life, and won't have it be any other way. ;)
No worries. You sound like you've got your head screwed on straight, but there's certain ways of saying things that will get people spun up real quick, because it comes across like you're not being a team player or have ulterior motives. Better to learn that anonymously on an internet forum early on than to look like a dork in flight school.

I cringe when I think about some of the things I did/said as a an 18-year-old wannabe mid. I'm sure a lot of the posters with wings feel the same way, so we try to forestall that when we hear it from the next ones in line. :) Fight hard for what you want, but be prepared for "needs of the Navy" in the end. As a ROTC buddy of mine liked to say, "sometimes you get the elevator; sometimes you get the shaft." :D

Everyone here wants to help you succeed and do well. Welcome aboard.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recruiter told me i would be able to choose the aircraft I would be put in. Is there no truth behind this?:confused:

Think about what he or she really said...are you sure those were the exact words or what you wanted to hear. Sure, you can request a specific aircraft or pipeline but needs of the service prevail and trump your wishes. If everyone got to choose, how do think they keep all pipelines to FRS training filled?