• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of becoming a Naval Aviator? (Pilot)

michigander

I have met with an officer recruiter with the Navy. I'm about to start my application process.

I have a Bachelors degree in Aviation Flight Science with a 3.08 GPA from Western Michigan University. I also have my Multi-engine and Single Engine Commercial Pilot's license with Instrument rating. 1100 HRS Total Time in fixed wing aircraft and have been flying for 5 yrs.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any idea how competitive i am with my experience background. And what chance I have of making it through the OCS/Flight training programs with the Navy and getting to fly the aircraft I choose (it doesn't matter what I fly, something with at least 2 engines would be preferred and NO HELO's)

Thanks for your input.:)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't answer the question about numbers for completion, maybe Bunk can. However, your chances of NOT getting helos is about 45-50%. Enjoy the ride.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can request what you'd like to fly and if you have the grades and the Navy has the seat, you'll get it.

(it doesn't matter what I fly, something with at least 2 engines would be preferred and NO HELO's)

Make up your mind.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Your grades are decent. Not the best, but by far not the worst. Also, the Navy loves guys with technical majors such as engineering. So guys with those majors will probably have a leg up on you when it comes to being admitted to OCS. Perhaps someone with more experience with OCS applications could give you a better perspective, but I think your chances of getting into OCS are pretty good.

Thats alot of flight time you have built up; however, it will have no bearing whatsoever on you getting a flight slot. My current roomate was a civ pilot for an airline, and they designated him as an NFO. He later was able to transition, but that does not always happen. You have to wan't to be an officer first and then an aviator.

As far as getting aircraft specific, worry about getting in to a commissioning program first. There are no guarantees in Naval Aviation, and the only way to have any influence at getting what you want is to be the number one guy. I selected and was able to get my first choice, but others with higher grades than me in previous weeks were not as lucky. Do well and you will probably get your first or seccond choice. Your prior time will help you only if you get into the pilot pipeline, and it will only help you then because you have a good grasp on flying; however, be cautious becuase you have probably picked up a few bad habbits in the civ world that will need breaking. Typically those with prior time excel in the program, but they still put in just as much effort as those without flight time.

Finally, don't hate on Helos. Most of your primary instructors will be either helo or p-3 guys. Roughly 60% of the Navy flies helos so it is a real possibility if you decide to pursue Naval Aviation.

If your accpeted I promise you won't regret it. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Hoverstop447

pilot
If you are dead set on not getting helos and wont be happy with them, maybe naval/marine corps aviation isnt for you. The airforce has a lot more fixed wing than we do.

Prior time doesnt seem to mean much when trying to get accepted but it should help your grades through the program. I have known prior airline guys that have gone on to fly jets and some that have gone on to fly helos. Like SNA2007 said, don't go in with an attitude towards helos because, 1) there are a lot of helo primary instructors and 2) you might end up getting helos. What I had always been told and seems to remain true from all of my friends regardless of airframe is you will enjoy what you fly (at least for a little while).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All I can tell you is this, the attrition rate is about 11-12% for all reasons (DOR, attrite, NPQ, etc) for primary. Have no clue what the % is for those who get what they want. If you make it as far as primary, you will have to have "it", be it flight time or not. If you have "it", you should finish the program and maybe do well. If you don't have "it" you probably won't do well and may not finish the program. If you do well and there is a slot open, you may just get what you want. If you do well and there isn't a slot open for what you want, you won't get what you want. Simple enough?

michigander

OK OK.... I guess helo's wouldn't be that bad, It's just that I would greatly appreciate flying a fixed wing to get the experience that I am looking for. I like the Navy/Marine Corps because they will let me apply for a pilot career before I have to sign anything. I'm not sure if this is true for the airforce.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
OK OK.... I guess helo's wouldn't be that bad, It's just that I would greatly appreciate flying a fixed wing to get the experience that I am looking for. I like the Navy/Marine Corps because they will let me apply for a pilot career before I have to sign anything. I'm not sure if this is true for the airforce.

Even if you end up flying helo's, you can come back and instruct in fixed wing...the T-6B Texan II by the time you show up. Same goes for E2/C2 types who want jets but get the prop. They can go back and IP in T-45 Goshawks. Good deals if you ask me.

michigander

All I can tell you is this, the attrition rate is about 11-12% for all reasons (DOR, attrite, NPQ, etc) for primary. Have no clue what the % is for those who get what they want. If you make it as far as primary, you will have to have "it", be it flight time or not. If you have "it", you should finish the program and maybe do well. If you don't have "it" you probably won't do well and may not finish the program. If you do well and there is a slot open, you may just get what you want. If you do well and there isn't a slot open for what you want, you won't get what you want. Simple enough?

You know, as long as I get to fly something, I'll be fine with that. I just don't want to get gauranteed a Pilot career before starting OCS, and making it all the way through Training and then have someone tell me that I will not be able to be a pilot but am forced to be NFO. (and I have no doubt that I will get through training ok because failure would NOT be an option).

So is there still that option of me not getting that pilot slot? Concidering I graduate OCS and get good grades all the way through primary and advanced flight training?:confused:

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You know, as long as I get to fly something, I'll be fine with that. I just don't want to get gauranteed a Pilot career before starting OCS, and making it all the way through Training and then have someone tell me that I will not be able to be a pilot but am forced to be NFO. (and I have no doubt that I will get through training ok because failure would NOT be an option).

So is there still that option of me not getting that pilot slot? Concidering I graduate OCS and get good grades all the way through primary and advanced flight training?:confused:

I went through NROTC back in 88-93 so I can't help you here; I just don't know. Nothing is for sure...you can just do your best and give it a shot.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You will select SNA or SNFO prior to going to OCS. Your pipeline (Maritime, Tailhook, Helo, etc) "decision" is made at the end of Primary.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
Well good luck, from a fellow Michigander. (from what I have been told) Your flight experience helps BUT they go of the whole person concept...GPA, flight HRS, ASTB, voulnteer hrs, prior service record etc....a bunch of things. You have the hrs but some pilots with your experience go into flight training with a big head thinking they know everything and fail out because they military wants you to fly their way (I know this has happed to a few AF guys). You should get your CFI and give me some lessons, saving money and hoping to solo before I apply...lol

michigander

You will select SNA or SNFO prior to going to OCS. Your pipeline (Maritime, Tailhook, Helo, etc) "decision" is made at the end of Primary.

I understand I have to make that selection before OCS. But If I choose and am accepted as SNA before OCS. Can I still be stripped of the pilot position after training (concidering i complete all levels of training to completion standards?)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get your wings, you're fine unless you then fuck it away by doing something galactically stupid.