• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHALE of a tale ... the A-3 Skywarrior returns to Whidbey !!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember seeing P-3's come into the break at NUW as well as the airport in town where I grew up. Always looked kinda funny, but not as funny as the C-9 breaking.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Someone needs to line it up with a Prowler and Growler for a "Three generations of VAQ" pic. EPIC FAIL for not getting one in formation . . .

ACTUALLY ... it was SKED & planned (EA-6B, EA-18, EP-3 over Smith Island & Deception Pass) ... whether or not it happened is another question. I didn't talk to the crew or the organizers about that evolution. At the time, nobody cared ... ???

I'll try to get back to you in a few days with the actual answer ...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm told by a very reliable source that it was an insurance issue - Whale being operated by contractors.

That's weird. Plenty of airshows have civilian performers flying in formation with active duty aircraft, like every single heritage flight.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
We had a bunch of legacy planes flying with brand new Rhinos here a couple months ago...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Got the 'TINS' word on the CNX'd formation fly-over from the horse's mouth -- a public relations guy w/ the A-3 Association @ NUW. Apparently insurance was not the only consideration.

According to him, the bottom line: -- it was the FEDs who put the kibosh on the formation join-up/fly-over ... something to do w/ an 'experimental aircraft, one-time flight, aircraft ferry' bit of bureaucratic nonsense. Apparently, it had been all cleared w/ NAVAIR, but the FEDs said "NO" at the 11th hour.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
FAA=Federation Against Aviation...or aka..."We are not happy unless you are unhappy"...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
More from the "TINS" Whale-Deep-Throat:

"The plan is to make her look like a version of the A-3 which was at NAS Whidbey during the 50, 60’s and 70’s as best we can by replacing the nose radome with a “bull nose “ radome, and replacing the bubble butt with a “duck butt” tail. The plan is to link the past with the present by representing the RAG outfits of VAH-123 (past) through VAH-10 which became VAQ129 (present)..."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apropos what with 129 doing the throwback HATRON 10 insignia lately.