• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHALE of a tale ... the A-3 Skywarrior returns to Whidbey !!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Today -- a great day in the Pacific Northwest and a particularly great day for Naval Aviation history when this ol' girl returned at @ 1330 to the applause & approval of many ...

She even did a little 'whale-dance' on touchdown ... :)

A-3 Landing at NAS Whidbey

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Was at the hold short for 14 (13 for you older guys) today. Delayed takeoff so we could hang out and watch the flyover and subsequent landing. Had no idea they used a drag parachute after touchdown.

If you were there, I was the next jet to takeoff after the old girl cleared the runway.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thats cool as hell. Is this the one Raytheon was using for a while?

edit: maybe I should learn to read the article before asking questions :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone needs to line it up with a Prowler and Growler for a "Three generations of VAQ" pic. EPIC FAIL for not getting one in formation . . .

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's a beast of an aircraft. Who owned her before she came back home?

phrogpilot73

Raytheon. It's a shame she's going to be stuck on a stick.
According to the article, it was the Navy...

This particular Skywarrior was used as a radar research and test aircraft but was recently removed from the Navy’s active fleet inventory.

Also from the article:

Woltman is a former Navy A-3 pilot and currently works as Raytheon’s A-3 program manager.
Talk about a job with no future...

KBayDog

Ah...perhaps I should've tried the "read more" link.

Nah. Anything worth reading is worth putting on the front page. The rest is just filler material.

(On a related note, a buzzword I hate: BLUF Anyone who uses this puke-inducing term (read: every ppt-making, EOT award-"earning" staff weenie in the Corps) is telling me to ignore everything else in the presentation. Mission accomplished.)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It's a shame that Douglas & Grumman no longer exist as stand-alone, independent companies. Before they were bought & merged into McDonnell & Northrop respectively, they had a unique handle on building the kinds of aircraft especially fitted to the unique needs of the US Navy. We still get a lot of good a/c today, but they're (necessarily) built to be sold to different users.

teabag53

pilot
The 'ol girl swung through Pt Mugu enroute. I was out running and thought I saw one of our S-3's coming in for the break out of my peripheral vision and then did a double take!!! I had no idea there were any still flying. Sounds like I shouldn't have waited for this coming week to check it out as it's no longer here.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Next question. Any idea why there are 3 Navy 53's at NUW? Between these three behemoths, the existing P-3s, and the whale that just showed up - the whole Whidbey ramp is growing at the waist line a bit :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This particular Skywarrior was used as a radar research and test aircraft but was recently removed from the Navy’s active fleet inventory.
I wonder if this is the same Whale we had at NADC in the mid '70s. It was a test-bed aircraft that flew many different projects. It was especially used heavily in the development of TCAS, but I never got to fly it.