• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHALE of a tale ... the A-3 Skywarrior returns to Whidbey !!!

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I think the NavAirMuseum guy had a Freudian misspeak: he said the plane made a fuel stop at NAS Dallas before continuing on to NAS Pensacola. Is that possible - did he re-fuel at the LTV facility? Is the airfield itself still operating, 'cause NAS Dallas closed 20+ years ago? I assume he meant to say NAS Fort Worth.

blackbart22

pilot
That's really a TA-3B. The TA-3B that VQ-1 maintained for 7th fleet was BuNo 144860. Flew it a few times and no, I'm not the one that ran it off the end of the runway at Da Nang with Adm Hyland on board. (The Air Force erected a very fancy sign designating that area "Hyland's Overun"

That's really a TA-3B. The TA-3B that VQ-1 maintained for 7th fleet was BuNo 144860. Flew it a few times and no, I'm not the one that ran it off the end of the runway at Da Nang with Adm Hyland on board. (The Air Force erected a very fancy sign designating that area "Hyland's Overun"
Saw this old thread and looked in my Dad's flight logs. He flew BuNo 144860 on 03-16-1960 and a couple other times. What's odd is he flew an F9F the day before.

taxi1

pilot
I got to wave them during night CQ.

A3 whale dancing at an F18 CQ party. Ugly, but manages to taxi out of the LA.

Drunk-dancing-smooth-recovery.gif

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I remember the old A3 ditty sung to the tune of the Texaco commercial song…

“You can trust your tail to the guys who fly the whale!”