• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHALE of a tale ... the A-3 Skywarrior returns to Whidbey !!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This particular Whale started life as a photo-recce bird when she joined the Navy in December, 1958. She was at NATC in Sept.-Dec. '59 for carrier suitability trials and was later modified by Grumman as a NRA-3B with a 'big nose'. Assigned to NMC/PMTC until 10/90, she was then bailed to Hughes and later Raytheon. In her later years, she was active as testbed aircraft and operated out of Van Nuys Airport before her final flight.

The biggest problems encountered in getting her to NUW were the foreseeable and inevitable mind-numbing battles against mountains of red tape, regulations, and of course -- the financing. Always the money ...

The addition of this Whale goes a long way toward rounding out the history of NAVAIR @ NAS Whidbey. :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Next question. Any idea why there are 3 Navy 53's at NUW? Between these three behemoths, the existing P-3s, and the whale that just showed up - the whole Whidbey ramp is growing at the waist line a bit :)

Third Fleet Joint Exercise: Trident Fury.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I was leaving work when it did a break (kinda) over the field. I didn't know it was flying in that day and it took me by surprise. It was a pretty cool thing to see.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I was leaving work when it did a break (kinda) over the field. I didn't know it was flying in that day and it took me by surprise. It was a pretty cool thing to see.

The Whale looked good in the break - especially compared to what I've seen some P-3s try to pull off :) When you guys were allowed to come in for the overhead.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Whale looked good in the break ...
Ditto ... looked good goin' by me. I thought she looked pretty 'snappy', all things considered. (old ... PR event ... last of the line ... don't want to 'overdo it' ... many eyes on her .... etc., etc. )

I guess that was YOU in the Queer A-6 at the hold short for 13 ... (clip above of the flight from SoCal -- the short final part??)

MasterBates

Ditto ... looked good goin' by me. I thought she looked pretty 'snappy', all things considered.

vaq137good.jpg

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The Whale looked good in the break - especially compared to what I've seen some P-3s try to pull off :) When you guys were allowed to come in for the overhead.

What's a break? Is that the maneuver where our wings fold up at 1000 feet?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

I guess that was YOU in the Queer A-6 at the hold short for 13

Now, now A-4s, that's a word we don't use in the new, action Navy. You've obviously failed to qual in the new sensitivity training.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

I've never seen a P-3 attempt a break. By the time I got to the community the NAVAIR restrictions were already put in place. But I think I coulda beat that. :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I've never seen a P-3 attempt a break. By the time I got to the community the NAVAIR restrictions were already put in place. But I think I coulda beat that. :)

well, p-3s used to be allowed to come in for the break. and it was terrible if you were already in the pattern or trying to follow 'em into the break. nothing personal, just a big ass turn radius with marginal alt control.

the whale looked good.