• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

cgoetz

From what you said there is a problem because I went through the MEPS physical and then at the end they told me I was DQ'd because I had to submit for waivers which I did. They came back last week and said I had to go get a consult for both the eyes and the eval. According it sounds like the Navy should be doing the psyche eval. Am I wrong?

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
From what you said there is a problem because I went through the MEPS physical and then at the end they told me I was DQ'd because I had to submit for waivers which I did. They came back last week and said I had to go get a consult for both the eyes and the eval. According it sounds like the Navy should be doing the psyche eval. Am I wrong?

Yes, if you went through your MEPS phys and at the end the doc said you need a waiver for your depression, then the Navy should pay for that psych eval. You need to ask why they are making you pay for it... when you ask the question, ask is 00M in Millington making you pay for it or is it MEPS. If its the MEPS, then they are just waiting on the waiver from 00M telling MEPS to sked the psych eval so 00M can make their final determination. If it's 00M, then I guess the Navy just don't want to spend the money on you, for some reason. But ask those questions... find out "why" because, and tell them, to your understanding, the Navy should be paying for your evaluation since you are processing for the Navy.

I see no reason why you are paying for your own psych eval and neither does the my co-workers here at the MEPS. There must be a reason why, I'm just not seeing it.

cgoetz

Well, I got a response from my recruiter today about why the Navy isn't paying for the eval. Heren is his response

Previously MEPS conducted a pysche consultation for you following your
initial medical processing. The standard Navy operational procedure is to
pay for consultations (which they did) but not medical procedures. At
present you have been categorized as not physically qualified in more than
one area. In order to be considered further you will have to provide the
follow-up documentation.

Gnar

The flight surgeon told me that I needed to see a shrink on my own and get a waiver done for my past depression. My OR said the same damn thing :(. I have contacted 3 different head shrinks and they want between $200-400 to give me the evaluation and letters. It is highway robbery...

nugget61

pilot
Are MEPS and the PRT done on the same day? Do you know how far in advanced you have to schedule them? I haven't been prorec yet, I am just waiting for the March board results.

They're done whenever your OR schedules them - he'll let you know. Not optimal (for you) to do the PRT the same day but its not unheard of either.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
I had to get a psych waiver for depression, conduct disorder, and panic attacks to enlist. Actually it was a DQ, BUMED, RESUB, DQ, wait, BUMED, RESUB, waiver. My grounds were that I never got diagnosed by a head doctor for panic attacks, conduct disorder, or full-on depression. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, with minor occurrences.

I got the waiver in a heartbeat in Quantico the day of the inventory PFT. Go take my flight phys 2 years later and the flight surgeon at NOMI DQ'd me and made me take the MMPI and another psych test. The Psych-O down there read my entire psych record and did not find any of the three originally stated diagnoses in the logs. He did see the GAD and "symptoms of depression." He read and did his own eval stating that I had shown symptoms of Adjustment Disorder and them cleared me for flight.

I was only on Meds for a year during the age of 13, and the Phys was when I was 25, so this is probably not the same in your case.

Gnar

I was having anxiety/focus problems and my doc first gave my depression medication, which didnt do shiet. Then she prescribed me a psycho-stimulant (i.e., ritalin). For a few months This was about two years ago... I have not taken it since. Would this automatically disqualify me?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You're not in the Navy, therefore the Navy owes you nothing.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
The flight surgeon told me that I needed to see a shrink on my own and get a waiver done for my past depression. My OR said the same damn thing :(. I have contacted 3 different head shrinks and they want between $200-400 to give me the evaluation and letters. It is highway robbery...

I'm somewhat confused at your chronology...I think the fact that the flight surgeon and your selection officer said you need to see psych on your own and need a waiver is an obvious indication that you were disqualified.

I was having anxiety/focus problems and my doc first gave my depression medication, which didnt do shiet. Then she prescribed me a psycho-stimulant (i.e., ritalin). For a few months This was about two years ago... I have not taken it since. Would this automatically disqualify me?

Because of your presription of an SSRI or MAOI as well as MPH, you are Temporarily Not Physically Qualified for entry into the military per the MPPM(pdf avail on Google). The fact that you have been without meds for at least two years means that you are likely to be waivered but you may need to submit a BUMED. The possibility remains you may not get cleared to fly. I was prescribed SSRI's over a decade ago and I got cleared. My buddy was prescribed MPH and diagnosed with ADD and he got cleared through the waiver process. NOMI is a very finicky machine. In actuality, all it takes is a signature from the flight surgeon to be cleared. However the situation dictates whether he or she will actually sign.

Good Luck.

cgoetz

So, let me get this straight. Based on what you guys are saying you can fly in the Navy if you have ADD, right? Only reason I ask is my dad seems to be under the impression that I will not be allowed to fly due to the ADD. I told him that I had admitted my ADD to the MEPs folks and when the report came back there was no mention of it. Just the depression and the eyes.