• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

cgoetz

red flag on medical record

A number of years ago I went to a mental health clininic for depression. Anyway without getting to much into it they put the ICD code for major depressive reccurent episode. Now in the waiver guide it says that reccurent episodes are considered CD and a waiver is not reccomended. However it doesn't say that you will be denied one. In light of this I have toyed with the idea of giving up but I figured that would be stupid at this point. I mean I haven't should my records to the Navy so maybe I am being a little apprehensive. I think I am going to keep on going. If anyone can offer some advice I really appreciate it. I don't wanna give up I really wanna fly for the navy.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
If you really want to fly for the Navy, then don't give up.....ever. You need to be commissioned before you turn 27.5, so depending on how old you are you have years to apply. Max your PRT, and get great grades (If your still in school) if the depression is the only bad thing in your record I think you stand a pretty good shot.

Good luck, and don't give up.

BTW there are people here that know a hell of a lot more than me.

cgoetz

Well I just turned 22 so I definately have time but I hope I don't use up all my time. I do have one other thing on my record ADD. But I did talk to a navy doctor and they told me that wasn't as much an issue as the depression. However this wasn't a flight surgeon so this could be different with them. However I have gotten in contact with another doctor who is also not a flight but I gave him a rundown of my case and he forwarded to bunch of flight surgeons he knows and they said I shouldn't have a problem but I would have to go through the whole process. However mind you they haven't seen my actual records so I don't really know. I mean I haven't had any issues in nearly two years so I figure time is the one thing I have on my side. Who the hell really knows though.

sickboy

pilot
Would it be worth getting a second opinion? I got one for my knee from an orthopedic surgeon and submitted his statement to DoDMERB. I got a waiver a month later. I understand it's a different issue, but it might help.

cgoetz

Well I have had a full work up done on me by anothe psychiatrist who has written a letter pretty much stating that I was in full remission and that depression no longer seemed to be an issue. My only isssue is will Navy take this letter into consideration over what is written in the original or do they just look at the originals and thats it?

Rg9

pilot
A number of years ago I went to a mental health clininic for depression. Anyway without getting to much into it they put the ICD code for major depressive reccurent episode. ...
I got a waiver for depression I took medicine for in high school. I don't know what the record says, specifically, but it was situational depression and occurred over 2 relatively brief (6-9 months a piece) periods. As a side note, that's why I'm not in the Air Force (an unexpected blessing from God). They wouldn't even let me do a desk job.

I would think the issue is the diagnosis. "Major depressive recurrent episode" is very different from just "depression". The specifics of that diagnosis will matter. Was it severe or just situational? Were their questions of suicide, etc.? If the ICD code is inaccurate, fight to get it changed.

The letter you have will be very powerful. Keep in mind, though, there are 2 different levels: one for getting a commission (and probably for joining the service in general), and another for going aviation. To keep my story short, the Navy offered me a waiver when I asked about it, but then still made me see a shrink before putting in my aviation package to make sure I was good for flying (I was already fine for commissioning). The doctor said something similar to what yours did, and now I'm where I am.

Don't give up. Medical waivers are less cut and dry than it seems. If you find the right military doctor, and he honestly believes you would be a valuable asset to the Navy (vice a liability), he can do a lot to help you in the waiver process.

Good luck.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Childhood ADD is waiverable for aviation; I needed one. IIRC from talking to a doc, adult ADD is not. As in you need to be off medication to even think about getting commissioned. In this age of overprotective parents and preemptive medication, though, we couldn't field a military if we turned away everyone who took Ritalin as a kid.

The way he explained it to me is that there are people with no kidding disorders, and other people who tend that way to a lesser extent but who are within what can be considered the norm. As in you're somewhat absentminded and a slob (which I am), without having full-blown ADD.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a waiver for major depression, and yes I had to get one to enter ROTC and then another to be qualified to service select NFO. If you're still on medication you've got problems and a waiver will be almost impossible to come by, but past history is another thing. I even had other major issues regarding the depression that I don't feel comfortable discussing, but let's just say it wasn't a situational thing. Getting the second opinion will help your case too. Just know a waiver is definitely possible.

cgoetz

Well basically th first episode I had with the depression took place in High School and it was getting picked on a lot of people in High School and I was going through some weird teen stuff. Then just a couple of years ago I dropped out of college becuse I was going to a new college for flight and I didn't think I was going to measure up to the standards they, and this didn't turn out to be the main cause why I dropped out. I dropped out because I did something I thought I was going to get arrested for and it got me all scared and I blew it all out of proportion. Pretty much I feel the stupid thing I did is what got me so depressed and not dropping out of school or my ADD so much. Any way had I sat back and thought things through because sat down with the doctor at time I said some pretty scewed up things that I wish I hadn't said but its too late now. I mean I have come a long way in the last year and a half with not one issue to speak of. Luckily like I said I had one psychiatrist in my area who wrote a favorable report on me since then. Plus I had an evaluation which pretty much that my depression no longer seems to be an issue. I just hope the Navy will at least take this into consideration and not say to say to me "well we don't care what follow up you done and who says your doing great and. All we see what this doctor says and thats all that matters to us. We feel that it would be in our best interests to let you fly." I'm probably getting way to overdramatic with this but it is how I feel. I mean Naval Aviation is what I wanna do with my life and its what fires me up and I'm pretty much screwed myself over brefore it could even get off the ground. Anyway feels good to get that off my chest. I'm just venting. By the way Rg 9 what are you flying in the navy?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Well I have had a full work up done on me by anothe psychiatrist who has written a letter pretty much stating that I was in full remission and that depression no longer seemed to be an issue. My only isssue is will Navy take this letter into consideration over what is written in the original or do they just look at the originals and thats it?

I think they will take it into consideration.

Rg9

pilot
Well basically th first episode ...and it was getting picked on a lot of people in High School ...I dropped out of college becuse I was ... measure up to the standards they, and this didn't ... thought things through because sat down with the doctor at time I said some pretty scewed up things that I wish I hadn't said but its too late now. ...Plus I had an evaluation which pretty much that my depression ...and not say to say to me "well we don't care what follow up you done and who says your doing great and. All we see what this doctor says and thats all that matters to us. ..."...and its what fires me up and I'm pretty much screwed myself over brefore it could even get off the ground. Anyway feels good to get that off my chest. I'm just venting. By the way Rg 9 what are you flying in the navy?
Not too fired up about English Writing class, though, eh?:D;)

I'm flying P-3's. It was my first choice. The only medical thing (to my knowledge) that would keep you out of flying what you want is your anthrometric measurements (i.e., butt to shoulders, back to knees when sitting as well as an arm reach length, etc.). Other than that, it depends on your performance, you preferences, and the needs of the Navy the week you finish Primary training (the last being the most important factor). The Navy tells you what you get.

Since I know you want jets... For me, I had the grades to go jets (although not great), but wanted P-3's. Turns out the week I selected, everyone who put jets got E-2/C-2's (except one guy in a different sqdn who did better than me). So I'm happy with what I got compared to the alternative. But as to your medical situation, once you're in, as long as you fit appropriately in the cockpit, the medical stuff won't be an issue.

cgoetz

Yeah sorry about the english. Guess I better read over what I write before I send it. Thanks RG 9 for the info. Your like the first person I've been able to talk to with the same condition as mine besides the other guy on this thread. However I'm going to be reserved in my feelings until this whole waiver process is done because who knows what the hell will happen. Unfortunaley the only thing thats going to screw me over was It was major depressive and at time it was serious. Also after reading the records I saw that suicide is mentioned, but all it was talk I never did anything. I was just expressing my thoughts which afterwards I wish I never brought because lookng back I knew I would never do anything like that, but whats done is done and I can't change it. Likely like I said I went to another pyschiatrist who wrote me up a favorable report and the suicide wasn't even mentioned by him. Again I just hope the navy will take some mercy on me.

Rg9

pilot
Well, they look for key words ("asthma" being one example... don't get me started on that one), so the "s" word may cause a problem. But if it's not in your military record anywhere, it didn't happen.

I think your best bet is to go ahead full steam. I'm not sure of the process for you (I did ROTC), but if you can know before you make a commitment if you are physically qualified or not, why not try? And even if they say no, there are ways to appeal it (although it can be hard... you can even bring the appeal to Congress, but my guess would be that's pretty dang hard to do).

And even if you do have to make a commitment before you know if you're physically qualified for flight (although my guess would be that if you're mentally qualified for commissioning with your history, the flight stuff would also be waiverable), you're "stuck" for a few years doing an adventurous job that will open up a ton of doors when you're commitment is up.

What's holding you back?

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helped.

Again, good luck.

cgoetz

Well just to set the record straight I'm not a prior enlisted or anything I'm strictly a civilian. I tried to get into ROTC but they wouldn't take because I was overweight at the time and because I had to much college credit under my belt. I'm trying to apply for BDCP which would be sweet if I get but since this whole waiver process is going to take as long as I suspect I probably won't get in time. You see I only have year of college and you have to be accepted for your graduation, so I will probably have to do the straight OCS which is not bad but I here you have to wait longer for flight slot plus you don't get paid. As far as commitment goes thats only if I get into BDCP and then I owe them committment because there is an exchange of money taking place there. As far as my civilian medical records go the s word is plastered on those. Plus the other thing is that when I was with the psychiatrist after I quite school she felt I was so bad during my session she reccomend that I got to a mental health hospital. Which I turned and decided to go home at be with my parents which turned out to be good decision because withing a week I was feeling a lot better than I was then. But again when the other doctor's examined me which by the way was months later, and they looked at my records they did not question about that part alot. It sure if it was huge concern to them they wouldn't have even considered giving a favorable report. But that being said who knows what the Navy will take away from this. All I know is I'm going to keep punching away at this. A few days ago I seriously thought of giving up completely on applying after I got a chance to really look at my medical records. I feel like if I don't try I'll feel a lot worse than if I try and fail. Its probably worse if I found after quite there was way for me to get in and I just had to keep fighting. Well I am going to say is am going to keep fighting. After all its not like I got anything to lose by tring. Although you have to understand I have been trying to this thing for close two years. My problem wasn't finding anything out there that was providing with any answers about how to handle this. Because of that its taking me forever to get the ball rolling because I just coming with more questions than. I just know I can't give up.

cgoetz

Sorry about that last post but I just a lot to get. I guess I just wanna clear cut answer, but I guess the only way I'm going to get that is by applying.