• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
FWIW- I just got waivers for use of ADD medication (Vyvanse) and asthma/allergy meds for Singulair. I have been off those drugs for almost a year, and show no signs of ADD or asthma/bronchial rhinitis anymore. Been waiting for the waivers since June of 08. Going to MEPS in a couple of weeks.

cgoetz

Mtsupilot09, it's funny I told the Meps people about my ADD when I checked those boxes on the forms they have you fill out. However when the paperwork came back last week there was no mention of the ADD, just the depression and the eyes. I wondering if I should mention it to my recruiter, but if the people at MEPS didn'tmention it I wonder if I should bring it up.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Mtsupilot09, it's funny I told the Meps people about my ADD when I checked those boxes on the forms they have you fill out. However when the paperwork came back last week there was no mention of the ADD, just the depression and the eyes. I wondering if I should mention it to my recruiter, but if the people at MEPS didn'tmention it I wonder if I should bring it up.
I'd bring it up immediately because that's the sort of thing that come back and bite you in the ass.

cgoetz

I don't know I just talked to the Renegade who is a contributor on here and actually works at MEPS. He says if I mentioned it to them and they haven't said anything about it then there is no need to bring it up.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Advice could go either way in the beginning, but in the end it won't cover your ass. You are responsible. I would talk to the recruiter and follow his advice.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Ok, I'm putting this to rest...

I work at a MEPS, not in medical but in the liaison office, but I deal with medical issues all the time. ADD/ADHD is frequent (but I haven’t seen many in the last few months, oddly enough). Let me give you all the rundown on ADD/ADHD concerning how we in the Navy liaison deal with the issue. Firstly, ADD/ADHD is disqualifying only if the applicant has been treated with ADD/ADHD medication within the previous year and/or they display signs of ADD/ADHD. For applicants with a previous history of ADD/ADHD who have been off medication for more than one year, and they do no demonstrate significant impulsivity or inattention during MEPS processing, the MEPS examining official may find them qualified for military service without submission of a waiver.

Records review is still required. Any history of being evaluated or treated for ADD/ADHD must be documented. As a minimum, all treatment (if any) within the previous three years must be submitted to MEPS, in advance, as part of the medical pre-screening. Full medical records are required if the applicant was ever treated for ADD or ADHD with any medication other than Ritalin, Adderal, or Dexedrine, or if there were any additional psychiatric symptoms, such as, but not limited to, depression.

MEPS may require school transcripts to demonstrate acceptable academic performance for the year without medication. If treatment for ADD/ADHD occurred throughout the school environment, but wasn’t stopped until after the applicant left school, there is still the possibility of waiver consideration.

So, if you disclosed your ADD on your 2807 (Medical pre-screen form) then you are good. MEPS medical personnel screen all of our applicants the day before they can come up. They seen it and said "its not a problem, come to phys". So, no need to keep bring it up.... let it go! They asked for med docs on your depression, but not the ADD because the ADD is not a problem, the depression is. You CYOA when you put your ADD down on your 2807, TRUST ME!!

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
I'll second Renegade's info. It all sounds good. If you get a med read on any form of treatment and it's is approved, you will get a recommendation either for Good to Go, appropriate level waiver, or BUMED (not in any order).

cgoetz

Not sure what any of that stuff means Fenian. Anyway I just have something to say. For the past I have been starting to get fustrated because everything is just so uncertain with this whole. I mean I am greatful for how far I have gotten so far because I didn't even think I would get to where I am now with it. Right now I'm struggling withone of my classes and I'm studying my ass for it and getting crappy. Other than that my classes are going fine so far and I just got accepted for an internship in Georgia which I'm really excited about but deep down I wish I was further along with Navy. On top of that my dad keeps saying how the mlitary is going to be cutting back its budget and that itmight mean it will be harder to get in, but either way I still plan on continuing on with the process brcause I don't seehow that should change. I know I don't have the most competive GPA (3.1) but I have heard of people becoming pilots in the navy with grades like that but right now with the way things are now who knows. I'm fustrated about doing these med exams because I can't help that even after doing them the Navy will still reject me and I won't get in period and it has been my dream whole life to do this. I know for someone who wants to go into the military I shouldn't be griping like this but its hard not to, just seems like everytime I have a success I get another barrier put in front of me.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
If you really want it don't let them say no to you. Don't give up on your dream because you heard some rumors that it is getting harder to get in. ADD is waiverable and depression is waiverable. Do what you have to do, but you can bet for sure you won't get in if you give up on trying.

cgoetz

Yeah I know your right. I know you shouldn't let silly ideas into your head. Sometimes just can't shake the feeling that it might not happen.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Listen dude. Don't fold and throw it all away because you're getting impatient about MEPS. I waited for my waivers since June 08. Yeah, that's right 9 months. Keep going for it man. I'm finally going to MEPS next week. It's been a long time coming and I'm ready to do the damn thing already, believe me. There's been a hundred times that I've though, "forget all this man, they are just jerking me around." Do realize how many people say, "I want to be a fighter pilot" and don't even make a call to an OR? A lot, man. A LOT. You've obviously shown your motivation and dedication by sticking it out this far. Don't listen to the bullshit from nay-sayers who don't know WTF they are talking about. The guys I work line service with are going to shit a brick when (in about two-three years) I roll onto the ramp in a USN aircraft. They say stuff like, "man you gotta have perfect vision and a 4.0 in college. Just enlist, it's the fastest way to be a pilot man." This indicates their lack of any real knowledge in the arena of the military in general. You're going to make it happen. Don't accept no for an answer. I haven't, and I'm well on my way to making it happen. You can do it man. Every time you get impatient about waiting, go work out or run. It's going to happen. I tell myself everyday that failure is not an option. It's sort of the 'f' word in my mind. Sounds queer as a 3 dollar bill, I know, but you'd be amazed how your mindset can affect your performance and in meeting your goals. You'll be fine man, can't wait to hear about MEPS after you go and you kick ass.

cgoetz

Your right man. I'm not giving up its just that I guess I just get discouraged when I see all these guys going of OCS and doing the API thing and here I am about to finish school and wishing I was in. All of what you said is pretty much a mirror image of my situation. I know my dad keeps telling me things like the Navy is going to be downsizing and plan other career paths, he is just looking out for me and be a good father. It just annoys me thats all.

cgoetz

Hey man, why did it take you so long to get a waiver if you don'tmind my asking? Just trying to get an idea for myself.

cgoetz

Here is something inspirational that I would like to share with you all. Its from a commander I made friends with at an airshow last spring and have been conversing with ever since. He has been a fighter pilot for over 20 years and right now flies with the agressor squadron.

Just a quick thought for you. I was turned down 2 times by the Navy before I was accepted into Aviation Officer Candidate School. I failed my MEPs physical and actually had to get surgery to correct the issue before I could be physically qualified for the Navy. On my NAEPE physical (the intro flight physical in Pensacola - much more thorough and in depth than the MEPS) I failed the eye test the first day, and was physically disqualified for 2 other issues, one of which was later waivered and the second of which was determined to be nothing. I passed the eye test the second day and that was probably the last time my right eye was ever 20/20. (back then 20/20 non corrected was the only thing allowed for the pilot program).

This road is not easy and filled with ups and downs the entire way. Any one of those downs could have taken me a different route. Perseverance is an innate personal characteristic that is essential to a naval aviator success in the air as well as on the ground. Without it, none of us would be where we are today.

cgoetz

Well I just did the comprehensive eye exam that the Navy wanted me to take today. The optometrist said I am correctable 20/20 for both eyes. Uncorrected I'm 20/40 in both eyes. The doctor is going to write up a full report for me on the results of the exam and send it off to my recruiter. I just hope evrything was done right.