• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

cgoetz

Wow that is a long time! I just wish this whole depression thing never happened, but what are you gonna do. Stuff Happens

cgoetz

Depends on how bad you have it. I think they have to evaluate you. Besides I don't have ADHD its ADD I have, and that is not the issue its the depression.

torpedo0126

Depends on how bad you have it. I think they have to evaluate you. Besides I don't have ADHD its ADD I have, and that is not the issue its the depression.

ADD is now known as ADHD...at least according to wikipedia. I would assume you have the AD component.

I would be concerned about both because as an officer not only will you operate expensive equipment, you will be responsible for it.

torpedo0126

ADD is now known as ADHD...at least according to wikipedia. I would assume you have the AD component.

I would be concerned about both because as an officer not only will you operate expensive equipment, you will be responsible for it.

Are you on medication for either?

cgoetz

No, I haven't been on medication for depression for over two years, and for the ADD I was on concerta which I haven't taken in almost five years.

smulet

ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder - no hyperactivity component
ADHD- Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder

DSM-IV-TR

cgoetz

Well, my recruiter finally heard from Meps and the word is that I am me medically not qualified for the officer program because they need more information for two things. One is my eyes which I have to get a thorough eye exam to establish whether or no they are correctable to 20/20. The other part has to do with the depression. It seems I need a psychiatric evaluation saying that I am fit to serve in the military. My recruiter told me that he would be happy to keep pushing things through but he did tell me though that he feels that even with the eval its probably going going to get rolled just because of what is written in my record about dysthemia and major depression. I know their are guys on Air Warriors who have had issues with major depression and are now serving. Did you guys this same sort of talking to when you applied for waivers. Also did you guys have to get pysche evals as well?

m26

Contributor
I am in a vaguely similar situation. I was kicked out of MEPS when I tried to enlist because I saw a psychiatrist in the 5th grade. I'm scared to death that it will nick me again when I go in for BDCP. It's tough, having this hanging over you, when you know you're perfectly fine.

Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
cgoetz,

What happened to you is not unusual. Seems like they are telling you to get an exam saying you are ok, give that info to MEPS.

from the guide: Waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a “Fit for Full Duty” status for a minimum of six months after completion of all treatment, including both medication and psychotherapy. A current psychiatric evaluation is required to document complete, sustained remission of all symptoms, and shall be included with the waiver request.

cgoetz

Yeah I plan on it, but the thing that gets me is that my recruiter basically told me is that even if I get the evaluation I still will probably get bounced. I don't know if can reapply if they do that.

cgoetz

Well anyway I'm planning on going home for spring break to get my eyes looked at by my optometrist. Also I plan on calling the psychiatrist I have been dealing with here in Daytona tomorrow and see if he can give me a referral to get the evaluation because he doesn't do them. Anyway just a status update.