• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of Chinese J-15 carrier ops...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No JBDs. And I thought the same thing about ability to launch and recover at the same time. I've never seen Elevons that folded.
-ea6bflyr ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No JBDs. And I thought the same thing about ability to launch and recover at the same time. I've never seen Elevons that folded.
-ea6bflyr ;)
Pretty sure I saw a JBD on the launch video.:confused:
BzB

Renegade One

None
How does the STOBAR system limit gross weight?
I would think the STOBAR system would be limited more by thrust setting than anything else. It has no idea what the airplane "weighs"...just what it's restraining. But certainly, if they're limited to anything less than full AB power....that would limit gross weight capability, as would the shorter T/O roll from the two forward spots.
I also found the "folding horizontal stabs" to be an interesting feature. Engineering nightmare, but interesting. They also fold a HUGE portion of the wing...which makes me wonder about internal fuel, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think the STOBAR system would be limited more by thrust setting than anything else. It has no idea what the airplane "weighs"...just what it's restraining. But certainly, if they're limited to anything less than full AB power....that would limit gross weight capability, as would the shorter T/O roll from the two forward spots.
I also found the "folding horizontal stabs" to be an interesting feature. Engineering nightmare, but interesting. They also fold a HUGE portion of the wing...which makes me wonder about internal fuel, etc.
Prowler's wing is wet outboard of the wing fold.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got it, thanks for the info. That being said, how are they on mid-air refueling?

Refueled from what? If they are doing blue water ops then the 'tanker' will have the same limitations as the other aircraft launching, if closer to shore I don't know though they don't have much from what little I have seen.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Nimitz worked fine when I was there, after I left is when things fell apart.
In ~2 weeks, NIMITZ will be the oldest carrier in the fleet. She should be good for another 10 yrs. (budget permitting). However, even beautiful "Aging Ladies" need constant applications of makeup!
cpp.jpg
She is a Cougar carrier!;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 16 hull number is odd.

The PLAN's hull numbering system is a bit different than ours, they usually include the fleet they are assigned in the hull number as well as the type. I also saw a Chinese article about the Liaonang that pointed that the other Chinese ships that have two digit hull numbers are training platforms.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the orginal comment directed at the Nimitz is how they now have a mechanical problem with their propulsion system that is causing some juggling around of schedules.
Understand, but with some 'inconverient' schedule-juggling, we'll cover our commitments. We had all kinds of unplanned scheduling adjustments for repairs, all through the Vietnam war (including 3 disasterous fires); however, we managed to keep 2 carriers on the line most of the time!:)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

Understand, but with some 'inconverient' schedule-juggling, we'll cover our commitments. We had all kinds of unplanned scheduling adjustments for repairs, all through the Vietnam war (including 3 disasterous fires); however, we managed to keep 2 carriers on the line most of the time!:)
BzB

We have covered the middle east with one carrier before so I am sure they have no problem doing it again for the short time they need.

I know about the Enterprise and Forrestal, what was the third?