• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of Chinese J-15 carrier ops...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool video. The launches/landings didn't look much different than ours. Plane directors signals, FOD walkdown, etc....samo samo. I imagine they've learned much about carops from our extensive film/video tapes of flight ops.

Big differences... "ski jump" bow, small island/bridge, didn't see an LSO platform or some type of lens/landing aid? From the video obviously it's easier to conduct flops with just a few jets on the flight deck (as opposed to our usually crammed flight decks during cyclic ops). I am sure the Chinese will profit immensely by learning from the mistakes, sacrifices, and innovations made by the Brits & us over most of the 20th century.
BzB:)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I guess I never paid close enough attention before... It appears they are either "all in" for a launch, or "all in" for a recovery - but can't do both at the same time...?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I never paid close enough attention before... It appears they are either "all in" for a launch, or "all in" for a recovery - but can't do both at the same time...?

I think they theoretically can if they kept the same setup at the Russian Kuznetsov which has three launch points, at least one that looks like it can be used while landing aircraft (on the starboard side forward of the island).

The Kuznetsov:

kuznetsov.jpg

Comparision-of-Admiral-Kuznetsov-aircraft-carrier-with-other-modern-aircraft-carriers0.jpg

The Liaoning (from the picture it does appear they kept all three launch points):

liaoning.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how much that forward spots limits gross weight.

They are already limited because they use the 'STOBAR' system that uses chocks to hold the aircraft until it launches instead of catapults, I imagine that the short distance limits that even further.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
As long as they keep copying what we designed and built a half century ago, have at it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They are already limited because they use the 'STOBAR' system that uses chocks to hold the aircraft until it launches instead of catapults, I imagine that the short distance limits that even further.

I noticed that. I assume that's opposed to our holdback fittings? How does the STOBAR system limit gross weight?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I noticed that. I assume that's opposed to our holdback fittings? How does the STOBAR system limit gross weight?

The only power used to launch aircraft off a carrier with the STOBAR system is the aircraft's own thrust, the 'blocks' you see used are only there to hold the aircraft in place while it runs up it's engines then are retracted to let the aircraft take off on the ramp. That is in contrast to our catapults that add all of their energy to launching aircraft off the deck in addition to the aircraft's own engines. The result? The Flankers used by the Russians and Chinese can only take off with very light fuel and weapons loads in comparison to the loads that US and French carrier aircraft can be launched with.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Got it, thanks for the info. That being said, how are they on mid-air refueling?